For EU Nationals living in the UK, the triggering of Article 50 was a potentially life-changing event. The Home Office has since published guidance for EU nationals concerned about their position in the UK following the start of the Brexit negotiations. According to their guidance, EU nationals do not need to do anything in light of Article 50 being triggered. The website states: “There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK while the UK remains in the EU.” Government advice on making an application for permanent residence is that is isn’t necessary to do so, but this isn’t enough to reassure some people.

Should I Make An Application For Permanent Residence?

If you are worried about your status in the UK, then you should make an application for permanent residence in order to put your mind at ease. Most people can complete the application online, with the added benefit of being able to use the European passport return service. This service allows you to keep your passport while you application is processed, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to travel while you await the results.

You can also complete the PDF application and submit it by post, but this will require you to submit your application for the duration of the application decision process. Students and self-sufficient individuals who either rely on a family member for financial support, or have responsibility for other family members will have to complete the postal application.

What Information Do I Need For My EEA (PR) Applications?

This will vary based on each application, but some of the popular documents required for an EEA (PR) application are as follows. You will need to provide your original passport or identity document. You may also need your original marriage or birth certificate. Copies will not be accepted unless you can prove that you cannot provide the originals for reasons beyond your control. Copies will only be accepted if they are certified by the issuing body or a legal representative.

If your documents are not in English or Welsh, they must be accompanied with an official translation. The translator will have to provide written confirmation that the translation is a “true and accurate translation of the original document”. They should also provide the date of the translation and their contact details.

If you are asked to provide bank statements and receive your statements online, you will need to visit your bank to have these stamped with an official stamp.

How Long Does an Application for Permanent Residence Take?

As there has been a surge in demand for this service, applications may take longer than usual. At the moment, you should anticipate your application taking 4-6 months to be processed.