Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews
Civil Partner Visa

Civil Partner Visa

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help & assistance with your civil partner visa. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Fill out the form

Civil Partner Visa

If your partner is a British citizen or permanent resident and you want to join them in the UK, you can apply for a Civil Partnership Visa.

This visa allows a person in a same-sex relationship with a British citizen or resident to settle in the UK. To be eligible, you and your partner must be registered as a lawful civil partnership according to the legislation of your country.

If you get married, you can apply for a Marriage or Spouse Visa to remain in the UK.

If you need support with your Civil Partnership Visa, you can speak with our LondonManchester, or Birmingham immigration lawyers, or use the office finder to find the nearest branch to you.

Civil partner visa
Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo
Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Frequently Asked Questions

You and your partner can stay in the UK if you meet the following Civil Partnership Visa requirements:

  • Your partner must be living in the UK without restrictions, meaning he or she must be either a British citizen or a permanent resident;
  • You must both be legally capable of getting married. If you were previously married to another person, you must prove that you got a divorce;
  • You must have met each other in person at least once before you submit your application;
  • Your relationship must be genuine, meaning that you wish to spend your life together;
  • Your partner must earn a minimum gross income of £18,600 and be able to support you. If you have children, the minim threshold required is higher, depending on the number of dependants involved;
  • You must have adequate written and spoken English proficiency.

Civil partnerships are legal relationships registered by same-sex couples. This legal status is recognised by the Civil Partnership Act 2004.

To register a civil partnership in the UK, you and your partner must sign an official form in front of two witnesses and a registrar. This will give your couple not only legal recognition but also legal rights and responsibilities.

If you are still in doubt about what does “civil partnership” mean and if you and your partner qualify for this visa, your lawyer can assess your situation.

If you have registered your civil partnership abroad, you should check if your status is valid in the UK.

The first difference between civil partnership and marriage is in the way they are formed. While married couples usually exchange vows in a religious ceremony, civil partnership is a civil function.

Another substantial difference is in their recognition. At the moment, only a few countries legally admit civil partnerships, and the UK is one of these. As a consequence, you and your partner can settle in the UK on a Civil Partnership Visa and benefit from the same legal rights as married couples.

If you are already in the UK on a work or student visa, you can apply to change your status. Your new status will be granted if you meet the Civil Partnership requirements.

You can still submit your request to the Home Office if you live abroad. Along with your application forms, you must include evidence that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship. You can submit any relevant document, such as proof of a shared bank account of pictures proving you have spent some time together. If you intend to get married after you travel to the UK, you can also include the date and more information about the celebration.

After reviewing your application forms, the Home Office will summon you for an interview. If you and your partner are in the same country, you must both attend it.

A UK Civil Partnership Visa grants you an initial period of stay of up to 30 months. If you are applying while you are already in the UK, your visa will be valid for 33 months. Before your visa expires, you can apply for an extension to remain in the country for an addition 30 months period.

After this time, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. To seek permanent residence in the UK, you must still be married or living together with your civil partner.

Applications from outside the UK will cost £1,523. For those applying in-country, a Fiance Visa application costs £1,033 or £1,643 with the Premium Service.

If you are applying with children, this charge will also increase with each dependent child.

Similar to other partner visas, the Fiance Visa UK requirements include:

  • minimum income requirement of £18,600. The Home Office will only take the UK sponsor’s income into consideration.
  • Proof of adequate accommodation.
  • The couple must have met before.
  • The applicant must have proof of English Language ability.
  • You have enough funds to support yourself without public support.

If you are concerned you do not meet any of these requirements, our expert lawyers will be able to advise you on the alternative ways you can prove that you are eligible for a UK Fiance(e) Visa.

If you would like to marry in the UK but are not planning to settle here permanently, the Marriage Visitor Visa route will be more relevant to your needs. This falls under the Standard Visitor Visa route and will allow you to enter the UK for up to six months to get married.

Unlike the Fiance Visa, Marriage Visitors cannot apply for a Spouse or Civil Partner Visa once the ceremony has taken place.

A Fiance Visa lasts for six months in total, from the date of issue. During this time, you must get married to your fiance. Once you are married, you can remain in the UK for as long as your Fiance Visa is valid (for example, if you had a wedding two months after the date of issue, you could remain in the UK for four month months after the wedding).

If you want to stay in the UK after this time, the married partner of the British citizen must apply for a Marriage Visa UK, also known as a Spouse Visa.

When applying for a Fiance Visa UK or a Proposed Civil Partner Visa, it is very important that you fill your application out properly and are able to prove the legitimacy of your relationship. Many people who apply for Fiance or Proposed Civil Partner Visas have their applications refused because they are unable to do this properly and the Home Office do not believe their intentions or relationship are genuine.

We know how daunting this can be and, as a result, we make it our responsibility to guide you through each step of the application process.

Our services include:

  • consulting with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time that suits your schedule;
  • assessing your eligibility for the Fiance or Proposed Civil Partner Visa;
  • reviewing your documents to ensure that they are sufficient;
  • providing you with a personal Letter of Representation. This is submitted with your application and provides the merits of your case as well as relevant immigration law that may support it;
  • liaising with the Home Office until a decision is reached;
  • completing each part of your application form to an expert standard.

Contact us now online or by calling 0333 363 8577 to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your Fiance Visa UK application.