UK news this week has been dominated by report after report illustrating the distressing experiences of members of the ‘Windrush’ generation, who have had their lives turned upside down by deportation threats from the Home Office.

The Windrush generation, referring to the children of the Caribbean immigrants who helped to rebuild Britain after the second world war, came to the UK from Caribbean countries between 1948 and 1971. Many of these migrants, brought over as babies and young children, have lived and worked in the UK almost their entire lives and are now hitting retirement age, with children and grandchildren of their own.

Over the last month, the public has learned of several cases in which individuals from this generation have received threats from the Home Office, been cut off from the NHS and had their jobs threatened.

With pressure being placed on the Home Secretary, Amber Rudd, who has now promised to waive all application fees for British citizenship for members of the ‘Windrush’ generation, the lawyers at the Immigration Advice Service want to help individuals who are concerned about their status in the UK and the process for becoming an official British citizen.

To do this, our specialist immigration advisers are offering free, one-to-one advice for any ‘Windrush’ citizens currently residing in the UK.

This advice will be tailored to individual situations and cases and is aimed at assisting those who: are worried about their current status; have received a Home Office letter and are unsure of how to proceed; need document advice; or need advice about their British citizenship application.

If you, or someone you know, is part of the ‘Windrush’ generation and needs advice, we would like to help.

To get in touch, call 0333 3637 231 or fill out an online enquiry form.

The Windrush Scheme applies to Commonwealth citizens who:

  • were settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 and have lived continuously in the UK ever since;
  • were settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 whose settled status has lapsed because they left the UK for a period of more that two years;
  • or have the right of abode in the UK.

This is as outlined by the Home Office 24/05/18