What are the British Citizenship by Marriage eligibility requirements?
British Citizenship by Marriage is a naturalisation route aimed at persons who are married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen. In order for your application to be a success, the following eligibility requirements must first be satisfied:
- You must hold permanent residence in the UK- this can take the form of Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), EU Settled Status or a permanent residence document that proves you have permanent residence;
- You must have passed the Life in the UK Test- this a series of 24 questions pertaining to the culture, customs and history of the UK;
- You must have passed a recognised English language test at minimum CEFR level B1;
- You must have been a permanent and continuous UK resident for a minimum of three years;
- You must have demonstrated the ‘Good Character’ requirement- this is achieved through adhering to the immigration rules and adhering to the law at all times;
- You must be over the age of 18 on the date you apply;
- You must be married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen or settled person.
Failing to fulfil the above criteria may result in the outright refusal of your visa application. With this in mind, it is strongly advised that you seek the help of one of our OISC-accredited lawyers.
Get in contact today on 0333 305 9375 to begin the process.
Did you know that our West Brompton immigration lawyers offer our full range of services?
Whilst we are always delighted to welcome our clients into our office, our services can also be conducted over the phone and via Skype. As a result, you do not need to be based locally in London to receive our support.
Yes, assisting with Unmarried Partner Visa applications forms a major part of our work here at the Immigration Advice Service. From preparing a Letter of Representation in support of your case, to conducting a thorough document check to ensure you have all of your supporting paperwork in place, our services are built to succeed.
The current Unmarried Partner Visa application fees are as follows:
For applications made from outside the UK, the fee will be £1,523.
For applications made from inside the UK, the fee will be £1,033.
You will also need to pay to have your biometric information recorded. This currently costs £19.20.