Job Opportunity: Immigration Law Caseworkers
The Immigration Advice Service are hiring! We are looking for a number of immigration law caseworkers to join our expanding team, based in several of our offices around the UK. If you are looking to further your career in immigration law, then get in touch to find out more about the positions available.
Immigration Law Caseworker
Please note: As IAS has contracts with the Legal Aid Agency our caseworkers have to be IAAS accredited to either Level 1 or 2 depending on the specific role in the office. We are also regulated by the OISC, to undertake our fee work, our caseworkers have to be registered with the OISC to Level 2 or 3.
Overall Purpose of the Job
Undertake casework and manage a caseload up to level of competence/accreditation.
To provide written and verbal representation, including advocacy in court, for clients seeking assistance in the Immigration/Asylum law field in accordance with Legal Aid Specialist Quality Mark Standards and legal policy.
To advise clients regarding procedure and practice.
- Represent clients before immigration judges, in person or in writing as required, including preparation of cases.
- Draft witness statements, skeleton arguments, representations and other complex documents and letters using word-processor.
- Ensure all contact with the client and any other action taken in respect of cases is recorded on attendance notes and regularly updated on the database.
- Liaise with Immigration Authorities, other agencies, and groups as required.
- Interview and advise clients regarding Immigration/Asylum law, procedure, and practice. Provide guidance to clients on completion of documents.
- Supervise support staff when they provide direct administrative and secretarial support.
- Undertake outreach work as required by Management, including liaising with ethnic communities, delivering talks and presentations to groups, and visiting other groups and centres as appropriate. Work from various locations as reasonably required by management.
- Keep up-to-date at all time with changes in Immigration/Asylum law by reading, attending training events and using computer for reference purposes.
- Deliver training sessions in connection with own field of work to IAS staff and other agencies if required.
- Complete any other records in connection with casework in order to meet Legal Aid and IAS requirements maintain statistics and update client files, using manual or computerised systems as appropriate and as required by Management
- Deputise for Supervisor as required in their absence.
- Maintain professional conduct, comply with IAS standards and uphold the integrity and reputation of IAS at all times.
- Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the Management.
All employees of IAS have a duty to:
- Ensure that their work conforms to the LSC Quality Assurance Standards as implemented in the IAS Manual, and other IAS approved policies and procedures
- Work within the spirit of IAS Equal Opportunities Policy at all times
- Take due care of their own Health and Safety and that of others in their working environment
- Observe Client Confidentiality
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.