How to make a Tier 2 Visa application

Making a Tier 2 Visa application is a process which lets someone from outside the EEA work in a permanent, skilled role in the UK. When assessing eligibility to apply for a Tier 2 Visa, UK Visas and Immigration uses a points-based system (PBS) which the applicant will need to satisfy to be successful.

To make a Tier 2 application to work in the UK, the individual will need to meet certain requirements. For example, they must offer a certain skill which is sought after in the UK. They must also be applying for a job with a minimum salary of £30,000. After Brexit, this figure may be reconsidered, particularly when it comes to ‘in shortage’ roles such as nurses, engineers and construction workers. Another Tier 2 Visa requirement is that the applicant’s intended role must be offered by a licenced sponsor. This term refers to a business or employer who holds a Sponsor Licence. a person who meets these requirements and is offered a job in the UK from a licensed sponsor can then apply for a Work Visa.

apply for tier 2 visa

 How can IAS help you apply for a Tier 2 Visa?

As part of our bespoke application services, you will be assigned a Tier 2 Visa lawyer who suits your needs and case. This lawyer will have vast experience in making successful Tier 2 applications of client’s behalf. The lawyers at IAS are experienced in making Tier 2 applications and have an excellent track record. After confirming you are eligible for a Tier 2 Work Visa, your lawyer will advise you on how to gather the correct documents for the application and will then file them into a comprehensive application portfolio. They will then submit this to the Home Office along with the completed application documents, and a detailed Letter of Representation. This letter is written by them, pleading your case and its merits directly to UKVI.

IAS will manage the application from start to finish, ensuring it is as thorough as possible to give you the best chance of success. To find out more about the requirements, or to start the Tier 2 Visa application process, call us today on 0333 363 8577. You can also get in touch using our online contact form.

FAQs on applying for a Tier 2 Visa

How do I apply for a Tier 2 Visa?

The first step to applying for a UK Work Permit will be to find a job in the UK with a company who is able to sponsor your visa application. The UK government has a list of businesses with a Sponsor Licence who can employ overseas workers.

The company must complete a Resident Labour Market Test, meaning the job must be advertised in two places for at least 28 days before it can be offered to applicants from outside the EEA. Once this test has been passed, your employer will be able to apply for your Certificate of Sponsorship.

After your CoS has been granted, you will be able to start your Tier 2 Visa application.

What are the UK Tier 2 requirements?

To apply for a Tier 2 Visa UK, you will need to meet the 70-point requirement by having:

  • 50 points for a job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship;
  • 10 points for proof of English language ability; and
  • 10 points for adequate maintenance funds – the amount of maintenance required changes if you are applying with dependents.

You must hold all 70 points to have a chance at receiving a Tier 2 Visa.

What is the Tier 2 Visa minimum salary?

The Tier 2 (General) Visa has a minimum salary requirement which is typically held at £30,000. This threshold, however, is dependent on the job and the level of experience required. For example, the threshold for graduates is more commonly £20,800 per year.

The salary requirement for each particular job will be relevant to the Codes of Practice outlined by the Home Office.

What are the Tier 2 Visa fees?

The current three-year Tier 2 Visa application fee is £610 for most out of country applications and £704 for in-country switching or extending.

For jobs on the Shortage Occupation List, the fees are slightly lower, at £464 for out- and in-country applications.

What is a Tier 2 Dependent Visa?

Those entering the country to work will be entitled to bring their spouse and/or children on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa. The fees and maintenance requirements for the Tier 2 application will change with each dependent.

Spouses in the country on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa have the same rights to work as the Tier 2 applicant. However, they will not need to show that they have a job offer before making their application.

How long does a Tier 2 (General) Visa last?

Typically, this visa lasts for three years. However, you can apply for a Tier 2 Visa for up to five years if the company has agreed to sponsor you for that long. Applicants can apply for a Tier 2 extension once it is set to expire but only as long as their stay totals a maximum of six years.

To renew your visa, you will need to be working for the same company as in the original application. You will be able to renew your visa if your job title/description has changed as long as the Home Office was informed of these changes when they were made.

Migrants with five years’ continuous residence in the UK will then be eligible to switch from Tier 2 to ILR.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 Visa?

One of the main requirements of this visa is that your employer is a licenced sponsor of Tier 2 workers. You will need to show this in your visa application and provide proof through your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

The CoS is not a physical document but a reference number that must be included in your application.

Should your company have its Sponsor Licence revoked while you are an employee there, you will need to find a new sponsor and reapply for your visa.

Can I switch employers on a Tier 2 Visa?

If you are already in the UK on a Tier 2 Work Visa and would like to change jobs, you will need to make a fresh Tier 2 Visa application. Your new employer will also have to be a registered sponsor who is able to provide you with a new Certificate of Sponsorship.

Because of the time limits surrounding the Tier 2 application, it is recommended that you find another job before leaving your old one. This will allow the most time for your application to be processed.

Find out more about the Tier 2 Change of Employment process.

Can I switch from another visa in the UK?

Most other visa categories require you to leave the UK before applying for a Tier 2 Visa.

If you are studying on a Tier 4 Visa, there will be a chance for you to apply for a Work Permit which bypasses the Tier 2 Visa cap. Tier 4 students will need to meet the ‘new entrant’ salary limit of £20,800 and must be sponsored by their employer but have more freedom as their visas will not be as limited as applicants with a restricted CoS.

Find out more about switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2.

What are the different types of Tier 2 Visa UK?

There are four subcategories for different types of professionals.

These include:

If you would like more information on which category would be best for you, use our Visa Wizard or call us on 0333 363 8577.

What services does IAS offer?

Whether you are an applicant or an employer, IAS has a wealth of experience in securing Tier 2 Visas. Our UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies in the capital. Our corporate immigration lawyers are highly equipped to help you get your Work Permit for London.

Our services include:

  • confirming that all documents are adequate before submitting the application;
  • preparing a detailed Letter of Representation;
  • managing contact with the Home Office during the application process;
  • facilitating the assignment of the Certificate of Sponsorship;
  • ensuring the Resident Labour Market Test is undertaken correctly; and
  • completing the application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to receive expert advice on your options from one of our immigration lawyers.

Our Tier 2 Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


Tier 2 Visa application lawyers

Our Tier 2 Visa lawyers can help you with any Work Visa query or concern you have. We provide in-depth advice sessions, full application support and appeal representation, as well as help for businesses who want to sponsor Tier 2 Visas.

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Arthur and Joaquin: Proposed Civil Partner Visa

Arthur was engaged to a Mexican National. He made an application for entry clearance for his partner but was refused. The wedding day was edging closer and closer so Arthur… Read More

Joe: Student Visa

Joe, a Japanese National, was accepted into a UK university on a Tier 4 Visa at short notice and needed help to gain entry to the country as soon… Read More

Working in the UK after Brexit

Gosia, an EEA national, wanted to tour the UK while seeking work, however, she was unsure if she was permitted to do so.
Gosia contacted IAS and arranged a… Read More

Anna: Tier 2 Work Visa

Anna, a Russian National, was promoted by her global company and was required to move her and her family to relocate to London.
However, under UK immigration rules, Anna… Read More

Shinya: Tier 2 Work Visa Application Assistance

Shinya, a Japanese National, was offered a placement in a UK based company. The company already held a Sponsorship Licence and was able to give Shinya a Certificate of… Read More

Ahmet: Bringing his mother to the UK

Ahmet wanted to bring his Turkish mother to the UK to care for her. He knew that the application would be difficult so came to IAS for expert advice.
IAS… Read More

Latest reviews

Really helpful to get advice on a relatively complex issue, and to have support whilst going through the visa application… Read More
We are extremely happy with the service offered by Alex. He was very professional and he made sure he was… Read More
My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More

Latest news

Extending Your UK Visa: Tier 1, Tier 2 & Spouse Visa Extensions Read More