An education provider who wants to teach non-EU international students may be required to become a Tier 4 sponsor. This is the case when they want to take on international students for longer than six months. This Tier 4 sponsor guidance has been put together to help shed some light on the process of becoming a student sponsor.

You will need a Tier 4 Sponsor Licence if you are an education provider looking to take on students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). If you are only looking to bring in international students from within the EEA you will not need a Sponsor Licence. The same goes for if you want to take in students for six months or less.

How can IAS help?

Our immigration lawyers offer one-to-one Tier 4 sponsor guidance if this is something you are interested in. This process involves you being assigned a lawyer. Your lawyer will then work with you and your institution to guide you through each stage of your Tier 4 Sponsor Licence application process.

Our services include full document inspection and compilation and a personal written Letter of Representation. This letter is written by your lawyer directly to the Home Office. It pleads your case and sites relevant case-law in support of your application. Get in touch on 0333 363 8577 or using our online contact form to arrange your first meeting.


What are the duties of a Tier 4 Sponsor Licence holder?

There is a long list of duties expected of Tier 4 Sponsor Licence holders.

These include:

  • Maintaining contact with the Home Office to inform them of any changes to student situation
  • Acting honestly and opening in their communication with the Home Office
  • Taking responsibility for Tier 4 students
  • Issuing the correct CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to students
  • Ensuring all HR roles are filled and responsibilities carried properly

Do EU students need a Tier 4 Visa?

Students who live within the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a visa to study in the UK.

The EEA includes all the countries in the EU, along with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland is not included in the EU or EEA, but Swiss nationals are given the same rights.

Where is the list of Tier 4 sponsors?

You can find the register of licensed sponsors under Tier for on the GOV.UK site.

This list details every institution which currently holds a Sponsor Licence.

What services does IAS offer?

Our team are dedicated to offering expert Tier 4 sponsor guidance.

Your assigned lawyer will work closely with you.

They will:

  • Assess your eligibility/need for a Tier 4 Sponsor Licence
  • Take charge of all correspondence with the Home Office
  • Oversee your entire application process
  • Gather and organise your documents into an evidence portfolio
  • Write a detailed Letter of Representation to support your case
  • Assess and improve your HR processes
  • Prepare you for an immigration audit from the Home Office if necessary

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to speak with an immigration lawyer about your Tier 4 Sponsor Licence query.

Our Sponsorship Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Romy: British Citizenship

Romy was a French National who had been living in the UK for 14 years.
Due to Brexit, she wanted to secure her life in the UK by acquiring British Citizenship… Read More

Luke: Indefinite Leave to Remain

Singaporean citizen Luke studied in the UK and then went on to be an NHS doctor. After building his life and his career in Britain, he was eager to stay.… Read More

Harrison: Entrepreneur Visa

Harrison wanted to expand his Singapore-based business to the United Kingdom. He contacted IAS and worked closely with one of our lawyers who advised him to apply for for a… Read More

Joginder: Tier 2 to Tier 4

Joginder is a Kenyan National who had been working in the UK under a Tier 2 Visa.
Although he was given the option to extend his Tier 2 Visa, he… Read More

Adbenour: Legal Aid and Asylum help

Abdenour had arrived in the UK after a long and dangerous journey from his home abroad.
His home country was in the middle of a devastating conflict, and he had… Read More

Martha: Returning to the UK

Martha was a French citizen who was married to a Pakistani citizen. Following the death of her husband shortly after their first child, Martha wanted to return to the UK… Read More

Latest reviews

Applying for a visa, any kind of visa is an arduous process. IAS was recommended to me by a friend… Read More
Our visa was approved! We had Irfan Waheed and he was very thorough and always available to help. Very happy… Read More
Jan S
Nasreen Ali was very helpful and supportive regarding my indefinite leave to remain application and travel document. I always feel… Read More

Latest news

How to Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK Read More

Student Visa UK: Thousands axed after undercover investigation Read More

Will the no deal Brexit odds affect EU nationals? Read More