If you want to work in the UK for 12 months or less but you are subject to immigration control, you can apply for a Temporary Worker Tier 5 Visa. You can apply for this visa if you want work in the UK in a role such as a charity worker, artist, entertainer, diplomat or sportsperson.
In order to be granted this type of visa, you are usually required to have a job offer from a licensed Tier 5 UK Sponsor, who is able to employ foreign workers, and the relevant Certificate of Sponsorship. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. A select number of countries whose nationals apply through the Youth Mobility Scheme can gain UK entry clearance without a job offerThere are different categories of Temporary Work Visas and the category most appropriate for you will vary depending on which type of role you are intending to fill in the UKThere are five categories of temporary worker under Tier 5 of the points-based system. Note, the additional Youth Mobility Scheme is not exclusively an employment route.
Understanding which visa category is best for you can be a difficult process. Whatever your circumstance or profession, the expert lawyers at IAS can help you. We will find the right Workers Visa for you and ensure that you meet all the specific requirements to make an application. Our services include a full document check and completion of all the relevant application forms. A Letter of Representation will also be provided along with your application. This letter will present the details and merits of your case, as well as referencing any relevant UK immigration laws which back-up your case. Get in touch on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to begin the process of applying for your Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa.
Read More


Can I apply for the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa as a sportsperson, artist or entertainer?

Yes, if you are coming to work or perform in the UK for up to 12 months as a sportsperson, entertainer or creative artist you can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Visa. You can do this under the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa ‘Creative and Sporting’ bracket.   It is important to note that sportspeople must fulfill the following criteria for a Tier 5 Temporary Sport Visa:   They must be: 
  • internationally established in their field; or
  • their job must make a significant contribution to the development and running of their sport at the highest level.
 To apply, you must have a sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship with an endorsement from a recognised governing body. You also need to score 40 points on the UK Points-Based System. This comprises of 30 points from your certificate of sponsorship, and 10 points for maintenance funds.   The Creative and Sporting category is not for people who want to come or who are already in the UK as entertainers or sports visitors.  Read more on Visitors Visas.

Can I apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa as a charity or religious worker?

Yes, if you are coming to the UK to do voluntary work for a charity for up to 12 months then you qualify as a charity worker under the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa category.   The ‘Religious Workers’ category is for people coming to the UK for preaching, pastoral or non-pastoral work, or work in a religious order such as a monastery or convent.

What is the Government Authorised Exchange category?

The Government Authorised Exchange category is for people coming to the UK through approved schemes. People in this category must aim to share knowledge, experience, best practice and to experience the UK’s social and cultural life. The International Agreement Category covers people coming to the UK under contract to do work that is governed by international law. This includes employees of overseas governments. All these circumstances may mean you are eligible to enter the UK on a Tier 5 Visa.

What is the Youth Mobility Scheme?

This is a scheme for young people from participating countries and territories that want to experience life in the UK. These countries include Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. Your national government will be your sponsor during your stay. You will need to score 50 points based on your nationality, age and maintenance funds. You must also be outside the UK to apply.

Read more on the Youth Mobility Scheme

How can IAS help?

Whatever your circumstance or profession, the expert lawyers at IAS can help you understand which Temporary Worker Visa is right for you. We will answer all your questions and guide you through each stage of your enquiry or application process. Using IAS will maximise your chance of successfully gaining a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa.

Our services include:

  • liaising with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time appropriate for you;
  • assessing your eligibility for a Tier 5 Worker Visa;
  • liaising with your UK sponsor to ensure they carry out their duties and avoid civil penalty;
  • organising your UK sponsorship;
  • ensuring that your documents are sufficient for your application;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation which will outline your case and its merits as well as referencing supporting UK immigration laws relevant to your application;
  • communicating with the Home Office throughout the process;
  • ensuring that each part of your application form is completed to the highest standard.

To discuss your eligibility for the Youth Mobility Scheme, get in touch with IAS on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online.

Our Tier 5 Work Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Martha: Returning to the UK

Martha was a French citizen who was married to a Pakistani citizen. Following the death of her husband shortly after their first child, Martha wanted to return to the UK… Read More

Jaibao: Family Visits to the UK

Jiabao was worried her family from Hong Kong would not be able to attend her wedding in the UK. However, after she contacted IAS and had a Skype advice session… Read More

Marcelle: Visitor Visa

Marcelle contacted IAS about how to obtain a UK Visitor Visa as she was touring Europe.
The lawyer from IAS instructed her on the requirements of the UK immigration rules… Read More

Visiting the UK as the spouse of European

Matthias was a German National who was married to Gladys, a Nigerian National.
Matthias was sure that he would be able to visit the UK without a problem. However, due… Read More

Kemala: Staying in the Country After Marriage Breakdown

Kemala had entered the UK on a Spouse Visa with her two children. After two years, her marriage broke down due to violence.
Worried for her and her children’s future… Read More

Amanita: Further Leave to Remain

Amanita was visiting her nephew in the UK following the loss of his mother. IAS was able to help her gain access to the child and stay in the UK… Read More

Latest reviews


IAS evaluated my situation properly and successfully tailored my application to secure a happy result

Our visa was approved! We had Irfan Waheed and he was very thorough and always available to help. Very happy… Read More
Bob L
Nasreen Ali was very professional and knowledgeable who dealt with our case extremely well. Parminder Kaur was just excellent at… Read More

Latest news

Scheme for agricultural workers opens Read More

High Court suspends immigration deportations after legal challenge Read More

All information on this page has been reviewed by an OISC accredited immigration adviser and was

Last Updated on