When assessing your eligibility for Tier 2 Work Visas, UK Visas and Immigration apply a points-based system (PBS) which you will need to satisfy to be successful. You will also need to make sure that the role you intend to fill in the UK is sponsored by a UK company who holds a Sponsor Licence.

If you have been offered a job in the UK from a licensed sponsor, you have been issued a Certificate of Sponsorship and you meet the requirements to obtain the necessary points, you will be eligible to apply for a UK Skilled Worker Visa. There are four categories of skilled workers under the Tier 2 Visa – the category which you will be eligible for is dependent upon the kind of work you are intending to do in the UK.

The experienced immigration lawyers at IAS are available to help you on your way to getting a Tier 2 Work Visa and working in the UK. As part of our services, an immigration lawyer will assess your eligibility and ensure that you have all the correct documentation to make an application.

He/she will also ensure your UK sponsor has an up-to-date UK Sponsor Licence and liaise with them to obtain your Certificate of Sponsorship.

To provide the Home Office with the details of your application, as well as any relevant UK immigration laws which support it, your lawyer will also prepare an accompanying Letter of Representation. To speak with one of our immigration advisers about your Tier 2 Visa UK application, get in touch today by using our online contact form or calling 0333 363 8577.


Am I eligible for a Tier 2 (General) Visa UK?

You can apply under this category if you are a skilled worker who has been offered a job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker. To apply you will need 70 points.

To be granted a Tier 2 Visa under the general category, you must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary. The remaining 20 points must come from English Language Ability and maintenance funds. There is an annual limit of visas issued (for 2013-2014, 20,700 for skilled workers with an annual salary below £152,100).

You can also switch onto this visa from several other categories including the Tier 4 adult and child study visas.

Am I eligible for a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa?

You can apply under this category if you are an elite internationally established sportsperson or coach who will make a significant contribution to the development of your sport. To apply you must score a total of 70 points. You must obtain 50 points from a Certificate of Sponsorship and endorsement from your sport’s governing body. The remaining 20 points is from satisfying the English Language Ability and for having an appropriate salary.

For short stays as a sportsperson, you should apply under Tier 5 (Temporary workers – creative and sporting).

More information on Tier 2 Sportsperson Visas

Am I eligible for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa?

You can apply under this category if you have been offered employment in the UK as a minister of religion, religious worker, a missionary or a member of a religious order. To apply you must score a total of 70 points.

You must obtain 50 points for a Certificate of Sponsorship, and the remaining 20 points are from satisfying the English Language Ability and for having an appropriate salary.

More information on Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visas

Am I eligible for a Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visa?

You can apply under this Tier 2 Visa category if you are an employee of a multinational company and you are being transferred by your overseas employer to a UK branch, either long-term or for frequent short visits. You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa as a skilled member of staff to fill a post that cannot be filled by a new recruit from the resident workforce; as a graduate trainee under a structured training programme which defines progression towards a managerial or specialist role; or under a skills transfer which allows the transfer of new graduate employees to learn the skills and knowledge required to perform their job overseas, or to impart their specialist skills or knowledge to the UK workforce.

To apply you will need 60 points. You must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary, and the remaining 10 points for maintenance funds.

More information on Intra-Company Transfer Visas

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 General Work Visa?

As a skilled worker, intending to do work in any profession which requires any specific qualification or learnt skill-set, you can apply to enter or remain in the UK to work, provided the role you are filling cannot be filled by resident UK talent.

If you are a foreign national and you are applying to work within a role such as this in the UK, you will also need to ensure that your intended employer is an official holder of a UK Sponsor Licence, meaning they are able to legally employ foreign nationals.

If your employer does not have a valid Sponsor Licence, they could face a civil penalty or risk having their Sponsor Licence revoked or suspended.

Can I switch employers when I am on a UK Skilled Worker Visa?

There is a possibility, under the Tier 2 Visa system, which allows you to change employers, however, you will need to follow strict protocol in order to ensure your visa remains valid.

You must ensure when switching to your new employer that they are officially registered as a UK sponsor. This is vital in order to avoid penalties for working illegally in the UK.

For more advice on how to ensure that you are following the correct procedure when changing employers on a Tier 2 Work Visa, get in touch with an expert immigration lawyer today.

How can IAS help me?

The importance of a career and being able to make the most of work opportunities is something that we take seriously at IAS. Our UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies in the capital. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience which could help you get your Work Permit for London.

We can help you understand whether you are eligible for a Tier 2 General Work Visa, which visa type is best for you, and guide you through each stage of your visa application process.

Our services include:

  • confirming that your documents are adequate before your application;
  • preparing a detailed Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • managing contact with the Home Office during your application process;
  • communicating with your Tier 2 UK Sponsor;
  • ensuring they have undertaken the Resident Labour Market Test;
  • securing your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing your application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to receive expert advice on your Tier 2 Work Visa options from one of our immigration lawyers.

Our Tier 2 Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Ajay: Family Visit Visa Appeal

Ajay’s Mother, a national of the United Arab Emirates, wanted to visit her son who lived in the UK and applied for a Family Visitor Visa but was refused.… Read More

Derek: Fiance Visa Application Assistance

Derek is a US national who is in a long-distance relationship with his fiance, who is based in the UK. He contacted IAS for advice on how to join… Read More

Jennifer & Virginia: Civil Partner Visa

Jennifer was married to Virginia, a Ukrainian National. Jennifer wanted to start a new life with Virginia in the UK but was unsure of the immigration process and contacted IAS… Read More

Helen: Long-term Visits to the UK

Helen, a Canadian National, wanted to stay in the UK for six months when visiting her friend in the UK.
She knew the maximum time she was permitted to spend… Read More

Linda: Visitor Visa for Fiance

Martin is a UK national who met Linda, his partner, in Nigeria while he was traveling.
The pair quickly hit it off and decided to get engaged.
Linda applied to enter the… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Latest reviews

Really helpful to get advice on a relatively complex issue, and to have support whilst going through the visa application… Read More
We are extremely happy with the service offered by Alex. He was very professional and he made sure he was… Read More
My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More

Latest news

High Court suspends immigration deportations after legal challenge Read More

2019 Certificate of Sponsorship Renewal Deadline Now Just One Month Away Read More