UK Student Visa Application

The UK Student Visa application process requires an individual to have an offer from a registered UK university, school or educational facility.  A person can apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa if they want to study in the UK for a period longer than six months. In this case, the Home Office apply a points-based-system to assess eligibility.

A Tier 4 Visa allows a person to study for a specified course length and allows them to bring a partner or children with them to the UK during their studies.

If the Student Visa application is successful, they generally be permitted to remain in the UK for the full length of your course for a short time after. After this stage, they will need to leave the UK unless they have applied to extend their stay or switch to another immigration category.

How can IAS help you apply for a Student Visa?

IAS is dedicated to helping you achieve your goal of studying in the UK. Our expert lawyers can help you assess the best UK study option for you. We will liaise with your prospective university/institution; arranging your sponsorship and relevant documents. We will also check all your identity and educational documents to ensure that they are sufficient.

One of our lawyers will work with you on your application for a Study Visa, completing each section to a high standard before submission. If you are concerned that you do not meet any of the requirements, we can work with you to resolve your issues.

Our services also include maintaining contact with the Home Office until a decision is reached. Get in touch with us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your Study Visa application options.

Student Visa application FAQs

What are the UK Student Visa requirements?

In order to be eligible for a Tier 4 (General) Visa, you will need to ensure that you have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor. You will also need to show evidence that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – this amount will vary depending on your course.

You will also need to give proof of important identity documents and complete a very in-depth application form which asks for personal details, immigration history, and criminal background.

If you are unsure of any elements in any of these sections, IAS has a team of specialist lawyers who are well-versed in the entire application form and the documents you will need to obtain a Tier 4 (General) Visa for study.

Can I extend my Tier 4 (General) Visa?

After you graduate, you will either have to switch to another visa or leave the UK following the official end-date of your course. It is very important to act quickly in order to remain in the UK legally after you have graduated.

The UK Immigration Rules state that there can not be more than a 28 day period, within which the Tier 4 (General) Visa holder is able to apply for a visa extension. If you outstay the 28 day gap without making an extension application or switching to another UK visa, you are required to leave the UK and proceed with your application from your country of residence.

Read more about Tier 4 Visa extension here

Can I switch from another UK visa onto a Tier 4 UK Student Visa?

Yes – you will be eligible to switch from another visa category into the Tier 4 General Student visa category if you are already in the UK with a valid visa and the UK immigration laws are permitting.

You can apply onto the Tier 4 (General) Visa if you fit any of the following categories and roles when you apply:

  • you are a Tier 4 (Child) Student in the UK
  • you are a Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant
  • you are a Tier 2 Migrant
  • you are a participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme)
  • you are a participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme
  • you are a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist
  • you are a student Nurse
  • you are a current student re-sitting an examination
  • you are a student writing-up a thesis
  • you are a student union sabbatical officer
  • you are a work permit holder.

As an applicant looking to switch visas or apply as a foreign national residing within the UK, you will be required to provide in-depth details of your current circumstances to the Home Office. Our specialist immigration lawyers are fully equipped to deal with the complex procedures and process which is involved with switching between UK visas and are available to assist you should you require any help in your application.

Can I work in the UK whilst on a Tier 4 Student Visa?

Tier 4 students can work in the UK during their studies, however, there are limits on their working hours.

As an adult student on a degree course, you can only work for a maximum of 20 hours a week, provided it does not interfere with your studies.

It is important to note that if you stop studying before completing the full length of your course, you will no longer be allowed to work and if you continue to do so you will be in breach of your Tier 4 Study Visa conditions.

If you’re interested in your work options after you graduate, read our guide on switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2.

What are the Tier 4 Child Student requirements?

You can apply as a child student under Tier 4 of the points-based system if you are between 4 and 17 years old. If you are between 4 and 15 years old, you must be coming to the UK to be educated at an independent fee-paying school. If you want to study here under Tier 4 (Child), you will need to apply from your country of residence.

If your application is successful, you will generally be permitted to remain in the UK for the full length of your course and for four months after your course finishes, at which stage you will need to leave the UK unless you have applied to extend your stay or switch to another immigration category.

Read more on Child Study Visas here

What are the Child Visitor Visa UK requirements for children who want to study in the UK?

If you are under 18 and you want to come to the UK for up to six months to study you can apply under the Child Visitor category. You must have sufficient funds to support and accommodate yourself in the UK and can meet the cost of your return or onward journey.

If a child wants to study here for more than six months they must apply under Tier 4 (Child) of the points-based system.

Read more about Child Visitor Visas nere

What are the Student Visitor Visa requirements?

You can apply as a student visitor if you are at least 18 years old and you want to undertake a short course of study for up to six months (or 11 months to take an English language course). You must have sufficient funds to support and accommodate yourself in the UK and can meet the cost of your return or onward journey.

If you want to study here for more than six months you must apply under Tier 4 (General) of the points-based system.

More on Student Visitor Visas

What services does IAS offer?

At the IAS, we understand the importance of getting the best education possible.

We are accustomed to regularly helping prospective international students obtain their Tier 4 (General) Visas. If you need help with your Study Visa application, we can use our experience to advise you. One of our expert immigration lawyers can talk you through your different Study Visa options and assess the best route for you.

Our services include:

  • ensuring you have the sufficient documentation for your application;
  • confirming your prospective university/institution is eligible to act as your UK sponsor;
  • contacting your Tier 4 Sponsor and liaising with them;
  • arranging and securing your CAS from your University;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation to be submitted alongside your application. This letter details your case and refers to any relevant UK immigration laws to support your application;
  • corresponding with the Home Office until your application is complete;
  • filling out and correctly compiling the documents of your application form to the highest standard.

We can also help you if you are a UK-based student interested in learning how to study abroad or wanting to find out how to prepare for studying abroad. We have emigration lawyers who can assist you with any enquiry you have about moving from the UK to another country.

Call us on 0333 363 8577 today or make an enquiry using our online form to begin your journey towards study in the UK.

Our Student Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


Our UK Student Visa lawyers

Our Study Visa lawyers are highly qualified and have a combined range of experience in making successful Student Visa applications. Whatever you need, we can help — whether that is full application support or a simple advice session, our lawyers will support you in all your issues and needs.


Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Romy: British Citizenship

Romy was a French National who had been living in the UK for 14 years.
Due to Brexit, she wanted to secure her life in the UK by acquiring British Citizenship… Read More

Amanita: Further Leave to Remain

Amanita was visiting her nephew in the UK following the loss of his mother. IAS was able to help her gain access to the child and stay in the UK… Read More

Harrison: Entrepreneur Visa

Harrison wanted to expand his Singapore-based business to the United Kingdom. He contacted IAS and worked closely with one of our lawyers who advised him to apply for for a… Read More

Martha: Returning to the UK

Martha was a French citizen who was married to a Pakistani citizen. Following the death of her husband shortly after their first child, Martha wanted to return to the UK… Read More

Visiting the UK as the spouse of European

Matthias was a German National who was married to Gladys, a Nigerian National.
Matthias was sure that he would be able to visit the UK without a problem. However, due… Read More

Teri: Proposed Civil Partner Visa

Teri is a Malayasia National who met her partner Linda online. The couple met up for the first time in the UK and shortly became engaged. Linda was unsure about… Read More

Latest reviews

Seridne M
Brilliant service and very friendly helpful staff. I have received my letter for my ceremony and it took me only… Read More
Our visa was approved! We had Irfan Waheed and he was very thorough and always available to help. Very happy… Read More
Jan S
Nasreen Ali was very helpful and supportive regarding my indefinite leave to remain application and travel document. I always feel… Read More

Latest news

Child smuggling and trafficking: what are the signs and what is being done to stop it? Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Worcestershire Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Flintshire Read More