If you would like to join your partner in the UK and they currently hold settled status, you can apply for something known as a UK Spouse Visa, Partner Visa, Fiance Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa. This type of Settlement Visa will allow you to live in the UK for up to 30 months, after which you can apply for a further extension of 30 months if you continue to meet the spouse visa requirements. This can then lead to an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

Non-European nationals can apply to enter or remain in the UK as either the spouse/partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status, refugee leave or humanitarian protection under a UK Spouse Visa, Partner Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa. Settled status, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), means having been given permission to settle here permanently.

If you are outside the UK you must obtain your Spouse Visa or Partner Visa before travelling.

How can IAS help?

Spouse Visas in the UK have a notoriously high refusal rate. At IAS, we will do everything we can to make sure that your chances of success in your Spouse Visa application are maximised.

One of our lawyers will spend time discussing your situation, requirements, and eligibility for a Spouse Visa with you. He/she will make sure that you have sufficient proof that your relationship to your partner is genuine so that the Home Office does not suspect marriage fraud.

Want to apply for a spouse visa? Call us on 0333 363 8577 or use our online form now to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your options for a UK Spouse or Partner Visa.

Please see our FAQs below for more information.


What are the UK Spouse Visa requirements?

As the non-European spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, subject to satisfying the criteria for the relevant visa under the Immigration Rules (including suitability, relationship, financial and English language requirements), you will be given permission to stay in the UK for 30 months. If you continue to meet all the requirements you can apply to stay for a further 30 months under the Spouse Visa rules.

After a 5-year period, you can apply for settlement (ILR) in the UK and join your spouse on a more permanent basis. Alternatively, you may be eligible to apply under the less stringent 10-year route which overlooks the financial and English language requirement, although you will need to show insurmountable obstacles to family life with your spouse or partner continuing overseas.

If you do not meet the Spouse Visa requirements for either route you may be given permission to remain here on the basis of your private life, subject to evidence that you have resided continuously in the UK for a required period of time. Both the private life and 10-year settlement route can only be made via applications from within the UK.

Can I apply for a Spouse Visa UK?

In order to be eligible for a UK Spouse or Civil Partner Visa, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • you and your partner must be over the age of 18;
  • you must have met each other in person and be legally married;
  • you must intend to live together;
  • you must have enough money to support yourselves and any dependants without claiming public funds;
  • the sponsoring party must earn more than £18,600 per year, or have enough savings to support yourselves. This number increases if you have dependent children;
  • you must have suitable accommodation for you, your partner and any dependent children; and
  • your partner must satisfy the English language requirements.

If you’ve been living with your spouse in another European country outside of the UK, you may also be eligible through the ‘Surinder Singh’ route rather than a traditional UK Spouse Visa. Discover more information on Spouse and Civil Partner Visa requirements.

To apply for a spouse visa you can inquire with us here to get your application started today.

Can I switch to a Spouse Visa?

If you have already joined your spouse or partner in the UK you may apply to switch to a Spouse Visa or an Unmarried Partner Visa from a different immigration category. You will not be allowed to switch categories if you are here as a visitor on temporary admission if permission to stay was given for a period of less than six months (unless that leave was specifically as a fiancée or proposed civil partner on the relevant visa), or if you are in breach of the Immigration Rules (a period of overstaying of less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

What happens if my relationship ends?

If you decide to end your relationship or divorce your partner, it is important to let the Home Office know as soon as possible as this can have an impact on future visa applications.

You will need to inform the Home Office of your separation or divorce so they can issue a Spouse Visa curtailment. You can get in touch with them via the GOV.UK site. There are options available for the dependent spouse after a divorce, but it is important to act quickly.

More information on your options following a Spouse Visa curtailment

What happens if my UK Spouse Visa is refused?

If you receive a letter saying your Spouse Visa was refused, you will need to act quickly in order to appeal the decision or apply for another visa. Overstaying on an expired visa can be very problematic and should be avoided.

How do I start my UK Spouse Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa application?

Spouse and unmarried partner Visa applications can be complex and using the services of an immigration expert is highly recommended. You will need to ensure that you meet all of the requirements for this type of visa.

IAS has an excellent track record with Spouse Visa cases and our solicitors are highly experienced in this field. To apply for a UK spouse visa get in touch with IAS today for friendly, no obligation advice from the professionals. If you are unsure of the right visa for you, you can check using our Visa Wizard which gives answers based on your situation.

What are the Spouse Visa UK fees?

The Home Office currently charges £1,523 for a Spouse Visa application.

This charge will increase if you are applying with dependents and will increase incrementally for each dependent.

What is the minimum income I need to sponsor my spouse/partner to join me in the UK?

The minimum income required in order to sponsor your spouse or partner to come to the UK was set in July 2012 by the Home Office at £18,600. However, this caused a stir throughout the country, resulting in the UK High Court ruling that the minimum income requirement was ‘unjustified and disproportionate’ if the sponsor was either a refugee or a British Citizen. This judgement came in July 2013 and since then, all decisions in relation to sponsors that do not meet the criteria have been placed on hold until further notice.

The monetary amount is higher if the sponsor is also sponsoring dependent children, with the amount increasing for each dependent child. However, this does not apply to any children who are British.

Am I exempt from the financial requirements for the spouse/unmarried partner visa?

There are some occasions where you may be exempt from the financial requirements for a UK Spouse or Partner Visa, for example, if you have a disability or you are a carer. There are, however, only a limited number of instances where exemptions apply.

We would advise you to consult a professional immigration lawyer for more information. Whilst you may be exempt from meeting the current income threshold you will need to prove that you can adequately maintain your spouse/partner and/or any dependants.

Can my partner/spouse’s income be included in the Financial Requirement?

No, your spouse or partner’s income cannot be included as part of the Financial Requirement unless they are already residing in the UK (and with permission to work), in which case the Financial Requirement can be based on household income.

However, if you are struggling to meet the minimum financial income requirement, get in touch with our team to discuss how recent changes to the law could help your application.

Can I still get a Spouse Visa if I don’t meet the Financial Requirements?

Recent changes to immigration law mean that the Home Office must now take into consideration specified circumstances if the UK spouse does not currently meet the minimum income threshold. Since August 10th 2017, decisions for Spouse Visa applications must take into consideration other methods of financing.

This might include self-sustainability, self-employment or continued financial support from a relative. These changes will offer some hope for those who have previously had their Spouse or Unmarried Partner Visas rejected, or for those who have put off applying.

What is the English Language requirement for my Partner/Spouse Visa?

To be accepted for a Spouse or Partner Visa, you must prove that you are able to speak and understand English as part of the application process. If you are from a country outside of the European Economic Area (or Switzerland) that is not predominantly English speaking then you will need to pass an English Language test that has been conducted by an approved test provider.

If you have an English Language certificate which has been provided by one of these approved providers then it should satisfy the language requirement. The need to take the English Language test does not apply if you have earned a degree in English, as your degree should be sufficient proof of your English language abilities.

If you are unsure of where to find an approved test provider, consult an immigration specialist who will be best positioned to point you in the right direction when applying for a spouse visa.

Can I settle in the UK on a Spouse Visa?

Once you are living in the UK with your spouse or partner, you may wish to make your position more permanent. You can achieve this by gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain. ILR allows you to settle in the UK permanently without being tied to visa regulations.

More information on getting ILR from a Spouse Visa

What services does IAS offer?

At IAS, we understand the importance of being close to loved ones and we make it our priority to maximise your chances of doing this.

Our team of specialist immigration advisers can guide you through each step of your application process for a spouse or unmarried partner visa in the UK.

Our services include:

  • liaising with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time that suits you;
  • assessing your eligibility;
  • checking your documents to ensure that they are sufficient for your Partner Visa application;
  • ensuring that you have enough proof that your relationship is genuine;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • liaising with the Home Office during your application process;
  • completing each part of your application form to the highest standard.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to speak with one of our immigration lawyers about your application for a Spouse or unmarried partner visa application.

Our UK Spouse Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Visiting the UK as the spouse of European

Matthias was a German National who was married to Gladys, a Nigerian National.
Matthias was sure that he would be able to visit the UK without a problem. However, due… Read More

Arthur and Joaquin: Proposed Civil Partner Visa

Arthur was engaged to a Mexican National. He made an application for entry clearance for his partner but was refused. The wedding day was edging closer and closer so Arthur… Read More

Hector: Tier 2 Work Visa with Dependant

Hector, a Mexican National, was offered employment in the UK. He contacted IAS and spoke with one of our lawyers via Skype. Hector was told that he could not stay… Read More

Luke: Indefinite Leave to Remain

Singaporean citizen Luke studied in the UK and then went on to be an NHS doctor. After building his life and his career in Britain, he was eager to stay.… Read More

Mariam: Fleeing Her Home Country

Mariam had escaped her home country following political unrest. When she got to the UK, she was faced with the very difficult asylum process. She was recommended to IAS and… Read More

Isabella: British Citizenship

Isabella, a Greek National, was working in the UK and intended to return to Greece for a summer holiday before becoming a student again.
She wanted to become a British… Read More

Latest reviews

My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More
Bob L
Nasreen Ali was very professional and knowledgeable who dealt with our case extremely well. Parminder Kaur was just excellent at… Read More

Great team, very experienced

Latest news

Extending Your UK Visa: Tier 1, Tier 2 & Spouse Visa Extensions Read More