Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Canadian PR – Canadian Permanent Residency

The Canadian government annually grants permanent residency to thousands of foreign nationals. If you’re hoping to be one of those lucky few, you’ll need to know how to apply.

Call us on +443334149244 if you need immediate assistance. We can help you navigate your Canadian Permanent Residency application process.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Woman sitting down wrapped in Canadian flag.

    Canada Permanent Residency Overview

    You can take different routes to apply for Canadian PR. Express Entry, Business Immigration, Family Immigration, and the Canadian Experience Class are just a few options for those seeking permanent resident status in Canada. 

    The system varies from points-based skilled worker routes to self-employed, family, and business routes. We will break down the options available for Canadian permanent residency so you can see what’s right for you. 

    Express Entry

    The Express Entry Canadian immigration program is designed to streamline the process for skilled workers who want to immigrate to Canada. A points-based system allows skilled workers to apply for permanent residency in Canada. Express Entry candidates are assessed on their skills, work experience, language ability, level of education, and other factors. The highest-scoring candidates will then be invited to apply for permanent residency. The program is open to nationals of any country.


    To be eligible for the Express Entry program, you must meet the following criteria:

    • You must have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer or be nominated by a provincial or territorial government.
    • You must have at least one year of skilled work experience or two years of skilled trades experience.
    • You must have strong language skills in English or French.
    • You must meet the minimum education requirements.

    Required Documents

    To apply for the Express Entry program, you must submit the following documents at different stages of your application:

    • Your resume or CV
    • Your birth certificate
    • Your language test scores
    • Your education credentials
    • A copy of your job offer or nomination letter
    • Police certificates
    • Proof of completed medical examinations
    • Proof of funds
    • Any other supporting documents

    Your family members can accompany you to Canada if they meet the eligibility requirements. Family members include your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and parents or grandparents accompanying you permanently. If your family members do not meet the eligibility requirements, they may be able to apply for a visa as dependents after you have been admitted to Canada as a skilled worker.

    Express Entry Programs

    The Express Entry system is the most popular way to get Canada PR. A foreign worker can qualify for Express Entry through any of these immigration programs:

    Federal Skilled Workers​ program

    The Federal Skilled Worker program is open to foreign nationals with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in an occupation listed on Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) list.

    Federal Skilled Trades program

    The Federal Skilled Trades program is open to foreign nationals with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) work experience as skilled tradespersons in an occupation listed on Canada’s NOC list.

    Canadian Experience Class

    Sponsored by the Government of Canada, the Canadian Experience Class is open to foreign nationals who have worked in Canada for at least one year. You must be employed in a full-time skilled position to be eligible. You’ll also need to intend to live outside the province of Quebec.

    Provincial Nominee Program

    The Canadian Residency Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is a program that allows Canadian provinces to nominate individuals for Canadian permanent residence. Each Canadian province has its own Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). The program aims to attract and retain immigrants with the skills and experience to contribute to the province’s economy and who will settle there.

    Applicants must meet specific eligibility criteria, including language proficiency, education, work experience, and ties to the province, to be eligible for the PNP.

    Suitcase and travel documents

    Business Immigration Programs

    The Business Immigration Programs are designed for experienced businesspeople who want to start a business or invest in an existing Canadian business. To be eligible, you must meet specific personal and business ownership stake criteria and invest a specified amount.

    Eligible applicants will be assessed on their ability to establish and run a business successfully in Canada, their commitment to creating jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and their ability to drive economic growth.

    There are different categories of the Canada business immigration program, which are as follows:

    Business Start-Up

    The Business Start-Up category is for people who want to start a new business in Canada. To qualify, you must have a business idea that is innovative and has the potential to create jobs. You must also have enough money to support yourself and your family during the initial stages of your business.

    Business Investor

    The Business Investor category is for people who want to invest in a Canadian business. To qualify, you must have a minimum net worth of CAD 2.0 million and be willing to invest at least CAD 200,000 in a Canadian company.


    The Self-Employed category is for self-employed people who want to move to Canada. To qualify, you must have experience in your field of work and be able to contribute to the Canadian economy. You must also have enough money to support yourself and your family during the initial stages of your move to Canada.

    Opened passport with visas stamped

    Family Immigration

    If you have family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, they may be able to sponsor you for Canadian permanent residence. To be eligible, you’ll need to prove that you have a genuine relationship with your sponsor and that they’re willing and able to support you financially.

    You and your sponsor must complete an online assessment to determine your eligibility for the Family Immigration Program.

    The following family members can apply for Canadian permanent residence through the family immigration class:

    • Spouse or Conjugal or Common Law Partner
    • Parent or Grandparent
    • Dependent Child, Sibling, niece or nephew, and orphaned grandchildren

    Eligibility Requirements to be a Canadian Sponsor in the Family Class

    To be a Canadian sponsor of a family class, an individual must:

    • Be at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
    • Have a household income that meets or exceeds the minimum necessary income level set by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This income level varies depending on the size of the family being sponsored. The sponsor’s income and any co-sponsor’s income may be included in meeting the minimum necessary income level.
    • Sign an agreement promising financial support for the sponsored person and any other eligible family members accompanying them. This includes ensuring they have enough money to cover basic needs such as food, clothing, and shelter.
    • Be responsible for any medical or hospital costs not covered by government health insurance.
    • Be responsible for supporting the sponsored person and their family members until they become Canadian citizens or permanent residents or until they can help themselves financially.
    • Undergo a background check.
    • Must also sign the sponsorship agreement if the sponsor is married or in a common-law relationship, their spouse or partner. In some cases, a co-signer may be required.

    If the sponsor cannot meet the minimum necessary income requirements independently, they may be eligible to receive financial assistance from a co-sponsor. A co-sponsor must also meet specific eligibility requirements, including 18 or older and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

    In addition, the co-sponsor must also sign an agreement promising financial support for the sponsored person and any other eligible family members accompanying them.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on your Canadian PR case.

    Canada Permanent Residency for Caregivers

    The Permanent Residence for Caregivers program is open to foreign nationals who are qualified caregivers and want to immigrate permanently to Canada.

    To be eligible, you must have cared for children, people with high medical needs, or elders in private homes without supervision for at least two years. You must also meet specific language requirements and pass a medical exam. The program is open to both foreign and domestic caregivers.

    One of the benefits of the program is that it allows caregivers to bring their families to Canada.

    Canada Permanent Residency on humanitarian and compassionate grounds

    The Permanent Residence on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds program is open to people who are eligible for permanent residency but do not qualify under any other category. To apply under this program, you must show that removing you from Canada would cause undue hardship for yourself or your children due to exceptional circumstances beyond your control.

    Benefits for Canadian Permanent Residents

    Standard benefits:

    • Permanent residents can access all Canadian social programs, including healthcare and education.
    • Permanent residents can work in Canada without a visa.
    • Permanent residents can sponsor their families to join them in Canada.

    Emotional benefits:

    • Canadian permanent residency is a symbol of stability and security.
    • Permanent residents can feel proud to be part of the Canadian community.
    • Permanent residents can enjoy the same rights and privileges as Canadian citizens.

    Difference Between Canadian Citizenship and Canadian Permanent Residency

    Being a Canadian permanent resident means living in Canada, while being a Canadian citizen means you are a full legal member of the Canadian community. To become a Canadian citizen, you must first be a permanent resident of Canada for five years. There are many benefits to becoming a citizen, including being able to vote and run for office. Additionally, citizens can travel with a Canadian passport.

    The government of Canada only issues Canadian passports to Canadian citizens. A Canadian passport allows the bearer to enter and exit Canada for tourism or business purposes and to visit foreign countries.

    Get expert assistance for your Permanent Resident immigration application.

    Permanent Resident Travel Document

    A permanent resident travel document (PRTD) is an identification card issued to permanent residents of Canada. It allows the bearer to enter and exit Canada and visit foreign countries. Having a PRTD rather than a Canadian passport has several advantages.

    First, a PRTD does not expire or need to be renewed. This can be helpful for people who frequently travel abroad or do not want to worry about renewing their passports. Additionally, a PRTD is less expensive than a Canadian passport. Finally, a PRTD can be used as proof of permanent residency in Canada, which may help obtain citizenship.

    Canadian Permanent Residency Visa

    A Canada permanent resident visa is a document that proves that you have been granted permission to live in Canada permanently. It is not a citizenship document, but it allows you to live, work and study in Canada without restrictions. To obtain a Canada permanent resident visa, you must first be approved for immigration to Canada. There are several ways to do this, but the most common is the Express Entry system.

    Canada Permanent Residency Card

    A Canadian permanent resident card is an identification card proving the holder is a Canadian permanent resident. The card is valid for five years and must be renewed before it expires. The card contains the holder’s name, photograph, and other information, such as the holder’s date of birth. After five years as a permanent resident, an immigrant can apply for Canadian Citizenship.

    Hand holding mapleleaf

    For more information on Canadian PR or to reach out for support with your application, you can get in touch today.

    Canada Immigration and Refugee Board

    The Canada Immigration and Refugee Board is a government organisation that processes residency, citizenship, and refugee claims applications. It also provides information and support to applicants and their families.

    As you can see, many ways exist to obtain a Canadian PR. So, if you’re hoping to get Canadian permanent residence status and enjoy all the rights and freedoms of a Canadian Citizen (except the right to vote), there are many different ways to go about it. Do your research to determine which program best suits your individual needs.

    Work With IAS

    Whether you’re coming to Canada to work, study, or live with family, we can help you understand the requirements and ensure your application is complete and as strong as possible.

    We’re here to help you understand the visa options, your eligibility, the application process and the supporting documents required. Get assistance in person, via the phone, or online.

    Call us on (+44) 0333 414 9244 or contact us online. We can help you navigate the process.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us