Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Sheffield Immigration Lawyers

If you need the services of an immigration legal specialist in Sheffield to help resolve any immigration, nationality or asylum issue, please contact us at our local office.

Call us on 0114 299 7695 for immediate assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Contact our Immigration Lawyers in Sheffield

    The Immigration Advice Service is a leading immigration law firm with offices throughout the United Kingdom and Ireland. Our Sheffield office is one of our main branches, where we offer comprehensive immigration legal advice and application assistance in all areas of immigration law.

    The team in Sheffield is led by Abigail Solomon, a highly experienced immigration lawyer who has direct experience with a wide range of immigration and asylum cases. If you are living in or near Sheffield and require immigration advice you can see one of our legal advisers by appointment at our Sheffield office.

    Sheffield is a city with a lot to offer. The 21st century saw extensive redevelopment in Sheffield which made it one of the most highly regarded cities in the country to open a business in. The modern, business-oriented spaces of Sheffield nestle inside a green landscape of trees and the rolling hills of South Yorkshire.

    A geographically diverse city, Sheffield is home to more than 250 parks, woodlands and gardens and is estimated to contain around 4.5 million trees, more per person than any other city in Europe.

    Sheffield is one of the main student cities in the UK too, with a big international student population. Over 7,000 international students from more than 150 countries choose Sheffield as their home every year.

    It is little surprise that Sheffield is a popular destination for overseas nationals from across the world. Whether you want to apply for a Family Visa, Skilled Worker Visa, a Business Visa or a Student Visa, the IAS in Sheffield is here for you. Contact us on 0114 299 7695 to speak with one of our friendly advisors.

    Staff gathered looking over a laptop

    Immigration Advice Service (Sheffield)

    SYAC Centre
    120 Wicker
    S3 8JD

    Phone: 0114 299 7695

    Do Your Immigration Lawyers in Sheffield Offer Help with Visa Applications?

    Yes, the IAS offer immigration services in all forms of UK visa/immigration applications. Our immigration lawyers are highly experienced and keep on top of all the latest developments in UK immigration law.

    Our Sheffield immigration lawyers are passionate about the work they do and are proud to serve the people of Sheffield and the wider Yorkshire area.

    We understand what it takes to formulate a successful visa application, including all the common pitfalls to avoid. Through our many years of working in the field of immigration, we are perfectly placed to help you secure your UK visa.

    Our application package is a specialist service which is perfect for those looking for assistance with their visa application. One of our immigration lawyers will work with you to complete your application.

    They will take the time to understand your unique circumstances and will advise you on the documents and information which you will need to include in your crucial portfolio of evidence.

    Unfortunately, one of the most common reasons for a visa application rejection is an insufficient portfolio of evidence. The invaluable guidance of our immigration lawyers on the portfolio of evidence can be the difference between a successful application and a rejected one. We will also ensure that your application adheres to all necessary administrative standards.

    Once your portfolio of evidence is ready to submit, we will complete your application form and submit your full application to the Home Office. We will also write a letter of recommendation to accompany your application, highlighting the merits of your case. We will also keep you informed of your application’s progress throughout the processing stage.

    Through hiring our services, you can rest assured that you will have the greatest possible chance of securing your UK visa.

    What Services Do Immigration Solicitors in Sheffield Offer?

    There are many immigration solicitors operating in Sheffield and the wider Yorkshire area, with each offering a different range of services. Some only offer assistance in a few areas of immigration law, whereas others offer a wider range of services.

    Here at the Immigration Advice Service, we offer services covering the whole spectrum of UK immigration law. This includes Family Visas, work visas, settlement applications such as Indefinite Leave to Remain and full support with administrative reviews and legal appeals. We also offer emergency support to asylum seekers and to those who have been detained.

    As well as our personal immigration packages, we also offer a number of corporate packages to UK businesses who are looking to hire overseas nationals. We can help you with your sponsorship licence application and will advise you on all the duties which you will need to undertake as an employer of overseas nationals.

    Our specialist packages are our most popular products:

    • Advice package: One of our immigration lawyers will have an untimed session with you, during which you can ask questions about any immigration matter. They will inform you of the steps you will need to take to achieve your desired outcome
    • Application package: The aforementioned application package is our most popular product
    • Fast track application package: If you need your application completed as quickly as possible, this is the ideal package
    • Document checking service: One of our immigration lawyers will take a professional look at your application
    • Appeal package: If you want to challenge a Home Office decision, we are here to support you every step of the way
    • Immigration advice for businesses: We can provide all the guidance you need to employ overseas nationals
    • Emergency advice: We offer emergency assistance to asylum seekers and to those who have been detained

    To find out more about any of our services, please do not hesitate to call our friendly team now on 0114 299 7695.

    How do I Hire Overseas Nationals?

    Sheffield has become one of the major UK hubs for business activity, with a significant workforce in the sectors of services, finance, IT and public admin. With considerable economic activity in the city, many employers are looking to hire the very best talent they can find, which could well be abroad.

    If you are looking to hire an overseas national, you will need to fulfil a number of requirements and undertake certain duties. It is important to note that you will  need to fulfil UK immigration legal requirements if you wish to hire anyone from outside the UK and Ireland, including EEA nationals in the new post-Brexit arrangements.

    The imperative first step is applying for a sponsorship licence. Without a sponsorship licence, you cannot legally employ overseas nationals. You must appoint people in your company to fulfil certain duties, including management of the sponsor management system (SMS).

    You will be able to start assigning certificates of sponsorship to your prospective employees if your sponsorship licence application is accepted. Your prospective employee will need this number when they apply for a UK work visa.

    Whilst overseas nationals are working for you, you are required to undertake certain duties and responsibilities. This includes:

    • Keeping copies of your workers’ professional accreditations
    • Ensuring your international employees have the necessary skills and qualifications to do the job
    • Informing the UKVI of any changes of circumstances
    • Informing the UKVI if your sponsored workers are not abiding by the conditions of their visa

    The process of employing overseas nationals, and maintaining your duties whilst you employ them, can be complex. Here at the Immigration Advice Service, we can help to make the process as smooth as possible. Call us now on 0114 299 7695 to find out more about our corporate immigration packages.

    What are the Requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa?

    In 2020, the UK underwent one of its biggest immigration law shake-ups in many years. Part of the reform including the rebranding of the Tier 2 (General) Visa to the Skilled Worker Visa.

    The Skilled Workers Visa is for overseas nationals who have been offered a position by a UK employer with a sponsorship licence. The job must offer a minimum salary in line with the role, and you must also score 70 points on the new-points based system to be eligible.

    The main requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa are as follows:

    • Must have been offered a position by a UK employer with a sponsorship licence
    • Must be given a unique certificate of sponsorship licence from your prospective employer
    • The job must be offering a minimum salary in line with the role
    • Must score at least 70 points on the points-based system
    • Must be able to prove that you can understand and communicate in English to the level of B1 as set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (unless you’re from a majority English-speaking country)
    • You must have enough money to financially support yourself whilst you are in the UK
    • Must provide a valid tuberculosis certificate (if applicable)

    There are 50 mandatory points for any Skilled Worker Visa applicant, and they are as follows:

    • Offer of a job from a UK company with a sponsorship licence (20 points)
    • Job at the appropriate skill level (20 points)
    • English-language ability at the level of B1 (10 points)

    The additional 20 points (to hit 70) can be reached in different ways. For instance, you will receive 10 points for a job in a shortage occupation or if you have PhD in a subject relevant to the job. A PhD in a STEM subject is worth 20 points. You can also receive an extra 10 or 20 points based on your salary.

    To find out more about the Skilled Worker Visa application, as well as the full requirements, please do not hesitate to call us on 0114 299 7695.

    Our Immigration lawyers in Sheffield are ready to assist you in person or via the phone.

    Do I Need to Apply for a Visa to Visit Sheffield?

    Sheffield is one of the most unique cities in the UK, owing to its considerable business and economic activity sitting, seemingly paradoxically, among a green landscape offering plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities.

    The charm of Sheffield is one which attracts many international visitors. Sheffield has a number of industrial museums, honouring its industrial heritage as the Steel City, as well as a fine selection of art galleries.

    Sheffield also has a proud sporting tradition. Sheffield is home to the world’s oldest football club, Sheffield F.C. The city also has two professional clubs: Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday. The city is also home to the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible.

    Tremendous outdoor activities are on the doorstep of the Sheffield, including in the Peak District national park, which encompasses a third of the city.

    With so much to offer, it is no wonder that Sheffield is a popular destination for tourists. If you are from an EEA country, you will not usually need to apply for a visa to visit the UK if you will be in the country for no longer than six months.

    However, if you are from outside the EEA area (and Switzerland), you will need to apply for a visa, even if you only plan to visit the UK for a short period of time.

    The Standard Visitor Visa is the ideal option, which gives you the opportunity to travel across the UK as a tourist and to visit family and friends for up to six months.

    Do you Offer Assistance with Student Visa Applications?

    Yes, our immigration specialists offer full support with UK Student Visa applications. Sheffield is one of the major UK student cities with over 60,000 students per years choosing to study in Sheffield. Among that number is more than 7,000 international students.

    Sheffield is home to the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University, the former being a member of the prestigious Russell Group.

    If you want to study in Sheffield, you will need to apply for the rebranded UK Student Visa, which replaced the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa in 2020. This includes those from both EEA and non-EEA countries. As the UK has now left the EU, EU nationals will not be able to join the Erasmus scheme and will instead need to apply for the Student Visa.

    To be eligible for the UK Student Visa, you will need to fulfil the following requirements:

    • Have an unconditional offer from an approved sponsoring institution
    • Must be taking a course which will lead to an approved qualification at an appropriate level of study
    • Have relevant academic qualifications needed to take the course and genuinely intend to study in the UK
    • Can financially support yourself whilst you are in the UK
    • Can speak, write, read and understand English to the required standard of B2 level (unless exempt)

    Graduates of an undergraduate degree (or higher) will be able to apply for a Graduate visa from the summer of 2021. This will enable them to live, work and look for work in the UK for up to two years, and for up to 3 years for PhD graduates.

    What are the Requirements for a Spouse Visa?

    If you want to join your spouse or civil partner in Sheffield, you could apply for a Spouse Visa. The Spouse Visa is one of the Family Visas and is one of the most popular UK visas of all. However, the Spouse Visa has notoriously strict requirements and you will need to provide substantial evidence to prove your eligibility.

    The main requirements for a Spouse Visa are as follows:

    • You must be in a ‘genuine and subsisting’ relationship with your British partner. They must be either a British citizen or a person with settled status
    • You must be able to prove your marriage/civil partnership by providing a certificate which is recognised in UK law
    • You must have met your partner at least once in-person and be able to prove this
    • Need to have a combined annual income of at least £18,600. This sum increases by £3,800 if you have a child/dependent who will be joining you, and a further £2,400 per child for any other children
    • You must have suitable accommodation to live in with your partner and any other family members who will be joining you
    • Must be able to prove that your English language ability is up to a certain standard (unless exempt)

    As a Spouse Visa holder, you can stay in the UK for up to 30 months. You can work and study in the UK as a Spouse Visa holder without any restrictions. You can apply for a Spouse Visa extension for a further 30 months too. At the end of this 5-year period, you will be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain status.

    We can help you to complete your Spouse Visa application and reunite with your partner in the UK. To find out more about our Spouse Visa application package, please call us now on 0114 299 7695.

    When Can I Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain?

    Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is a form of settled status in the UK. This means that if you hold ILR, you can live in the UK without any immigration restrictions imposed.

    Typically, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after five years of lawful residence in the UK. This includes those living in the UK under the Spouse Visa, unmarried partner visa and any of the UK work visas.

    However, you could be eligible sooner for ILR in some circumstances. For example, if you have been living in the UK under the Investor Visa or Innovator Visa, you could be eligible after three years or even two, depending on your business activities.

    The main requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain status are as follows:

    • You must have lived in the UK for a certain minimum period of time, usually five years
    • Must not have broken any immigration conditions or laws during your time in the UK
    • Must not have left the UK for more than 180 days in a 12-month period during your UK residency
    • Must achieve a pass in the Life in the UK test. This is a test based on the history, traditions and culture of the UK
    • You must be able to prove that your English language ability is at least at the level of B1 in speaking, writing, listening and reading

    Many people choose to end their immigration journey at this point. However, if you wish to complete your immigration journey, you can choose to apply for British citizenship after you have spent one year living in the UK under Indefinite Leave to Remain.

    As well as Sheffield office, you can also get in touch with our LondonManchester, or Birmingham immigration lawyers, or use the office finder to find the closest branch to you.

    If you need help with an immigration application, extension or appeal contact our experts today.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Services we Provide

    Frequently Asked Questions

    An immigration solicitor can provide invaluable professional guidance and support on any immigration application or issue. Whilst not mandatory, hiring a legal expert will maximise your chances of a successful visa application, or reaching a resolution on any immigration issue.

    Yes, you can get in touch with our Sheffield immigration lawyers over the phone and online.

    We understand that our clients may be unable to travel. For this reason, we offer several ways to discuss your case with our team. enabling you to communicate with a legal adviser wherever you are in the world.

    Unfortunately, we cannot give a definitive answer as each individual case is different. Furthermore, we cannot determine how long the Home Office will take to process applications.

    To give some guidance, the Home Office states that temporary visas such as spouse, Tier 2 and student visas can take up to eight weeks to process.

    If you have received a Visa Refusal letter, you can discuss your situation with one of our expert immigration lawyers in Sheffield. We will review your case and investigate the reasons for the Home Office’s rejection. Together with your dedicated solicitor, you can decide if proceeding with an Administrative Appeal can be beneficial for your situation.

    Yes. Our services cover all immigration issues and applications, including spouse visas. Our immigration lawyers can apply their unrivalled legal expertise to your case, and maximise your chances of a successful spouse visa application.


    Related Posts

    Person examining document
    23 May 2024

    Acceptable Bank Statement for UK Student Visa

    If you are planning to come to the UK to study, you will need to prove you have enough money to support yourself while staying in the UK as part of your Student visa.

    Read Article
    Architectural building with Canadian flag on top
    17 May 2024

    Open Work Permit Canada for Nigerians

    Canada has a growing economy that allows immigrants to explore different career Opportunities. Nigerian citizens who wish to work in Canada can be granted an open work permit provided the employee and employer meet the eligibility requirements.
    For further information on how to apply for an open work permit, contact The Immigration Advice Service (IAS) at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929. Our immigration lawyers are ever ready to help you with the application process.

    Read Article
    Silver, antique Canadian coin
    17 May 2024

    Canada Visa Requirements for Nigeria

    If you are a Nigerian looking to go to Canada, you must apply for a Canadian Visa to work, visit or study there.

    Read Article
    Two friends standing together on street in America
    17 May 2024

    Easiest Way to Get American Visa from Nigeria

    If you’re a Nigerian waiting to visit the US, you’ve probably heard about an easy way to get an American visa. However, there’s no easy visa; you must meet the necessary requirements.
    For more information about applying for an American Visa from Nigeria, including support and advice about the process, or any other queries you might have, then call our immigration experts today at +23413438882 and +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

    Read Article
    Nigeria welcome sign on white arch
    17 May 2024

    Entry to the UK from Nigeria

    To live and work in the UK, you will need a visa. This guide will give you all the information you need about the type of visa you should apply for and other criteria you need to consider when making an application for entry to the UK from Nigeria.

    Read Article

    Get in touch with our team

    Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

    Contact Us