Nationwide immigration advice service
Translation services available upon request
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
1000+ Partner Visa applications approved

We can help you with your Partner Visa application in three simple steps


Get in touch with our client care team by email, telephone or live chat

Discuss your personal situation with our team and receive a price for your 1:1 untimed advice session with our immigration lawyers.


Discuss your Partner Visa case with our qualified immigration experts

Your immigration lawyer will analyse your Partner Visa case & offer expert advice. You also have 7 days to ask any follow-up questions free of charge


Instruct our immigration lawyers to submit your Partner Visa application

Hire our immigration specialists to do all the work involved in completing and submitting an Partner Visa application, extension or appeal for you.

Unmarried Partner Visa

An Unmarried Partner Visa allows non-EEA nationals to enter the UK provided they are in a genuine, long-term, committed relationship with a British Citizen. This visa type is also commonly known as a UK De Facto Visa and can be applied for in cases of both heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

To meet the Unmarried Partner visa requirements, the applicant and sponsoring partner must both be at least 18 years old. The applicant and sponsor must intend to live together on a permanent basis. Both partners must have suitable accommodation set up. They must also have been in a genuine and subsisting relationship for at least two years.

Depending on where you are applying from, the duration of an Unmarried Partner Visa changes. If your application is made from within the UK, the visa will be issued for a period of 30 months. However, if your application is made from outside the UK, the length of the visa will initially be issued for a period of 33 months.

The Unmarried Partner Visa is for couples who do not wish to get married or would like to get married later in life. The government will expect extensive evidence of your life together or your intention to marry in the future before granting you a visa.

Unmarried partner visa application help

IAS can help you attain your Unmarried Partner Visa, De facto Visa or Same-Sex Partner Visa. We will ensure that you qualify for this type of visa before taking care of your application. One of our experienced immigration lawyers will make sure that you have the required evidence to prove that your relationship is genuine to the Home Office.

Applications for Unmarried Partner Visas are regularly rejected because they do not provide enough proof that the relationship is genuine or long-lasting.

With IAS, your chances of a successful application for an Unmarried Partner Visa will be maximised. Get in touch with the team today on 0333 363 8577 or use our online contact form to discuss your application.

unmarried partner visa

Unmarried Partner Visa FAQs

What are the Unmarried Partner Visa requirements?

To qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa to enter the UK you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You and your partner must have a committed relationship;•
  • You must be able to support yourself and your partner;
  • You must intend to live together permanently in the UK;
  • You must both be 18 years of age or over;
  • You must have suitable accommodation available.

Find out more about the requirements for a Partner Visa

What do I need to know about how to apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

To apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa:

  • you must be able to prove, with substantial evidence that your relationship with your sponsor is genuine;
  • you and your partner must have the intention to live together on a permanent basis in the UK;
  • you and your partner must be 18 years of age or older;
  • your partner must be a British Citizen;
  • you must have lived with your partner continuously for a period of two years;
  • any previous relationships you and your partner have had, whether it is as an unmarried couple or married couple, must be shown to have ended;
  • you must meet the financial requirements; and
  • suitable accommodation must be evidenced for your partner, you and any dependent(s).

If you’re an EEA national who has been living with your partner in another Member State, you may be eligible to move together due to the ‘Surinder Singh’ case.

Can I extend my Unmarried Partner Visa?

A further extension to the visa can be granted to an Unmarried Partner Visa for an additional 30 months.

When you have spent a total of five years in the UK on the Spouse Probationary Visa, you become eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

However, you can only apply for this if you are still living with your partner (the sponsor) in the UK. You must also meet all the maintenance requirements as before.

Am I allowed to bring any dependents?

Yes – if you have any children under the age of 18, they can enter the UK as your dependents.

The application for any dependents should be made at the same time as you make your application for an Unmarried Partner Visa.

Find out more about dependant visas for children.

What services does IAS offer?

You will need extensive evidence to prove your intentions and the authenticity of your relationship to obtain an Unmarried Partner Visa.

Our highly-qualified immigration lawyers are fully equipped to deal with applications of this nature. We can guide you through each part of your enquiry and application process. We will ensure that you are fully prepared when undergoing application for an Unmarried Partner Visa.

Our services include:

  • confirming that your documents are sufficient;
  • ensuring that you have enough evidence to prove your relationship to your partner is genuine;
  • ensuring that your partner is eligible to sponsor your visa application;
  • producing a Letter of Representation for your application. This supplies the Home Office with supporting details about your case and relevant immigration laws;
  • liaising with the Home Office during the process;
  • using expert knowledge to complete your application form to the highest standard.

Get in touch with us online or by calling 0333 363 8577 to speak with an immigration consultant and make the first steps towards obtaining your Unmarried Partner Visa.


Our Unmarried Partner Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


Unmarried Partner Visa Lawyers

For over 20 years the Immigration Advice Service has made a tremendous number of dreams come true. We’re industry experts in advising clients and successfully applying for Unmarried Partner Visa’s in the UK. Our team care about your needs as a person and as a client, so don’t delay contact us today to secure your future.

Latest reviews


IAS evaluated my situation properly and successfully tailored my application to secure a happy result


Excellent service! Would definitely recommend to anyone needing help with immigration issues. Our lawyer was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Really helpful to get advice on a relatively complex issue, and to have support whilst going through the visa application… Read More

Latest news

Child smuggling and trafficking: what are the signs and what is being done to stop it? Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Worcestershire Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Flintshire Read More