Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Application

A Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is for people who have been invited to the UK as experts of their profession. Usually, this visa is used by academics, artists, performers, news broadcasters and specialist researchers.

The PPE Visa lasts for a month. It is limited in that it does not allow visitors to bring their families, access public funds or extend their visa. While in the UK, Permitted Engagement Visa holders can not take on any work which is not related to their specific field. The work they are allowed to do will be outlined on their visa once it has been granted.

How can IAS help with you apply for a PPE Visa?

Our team of immigration specialists can guide you through the process of applying for this type of temporary work visa. As part of our unique services, you will be paired with an immigration lawyer who can address your needs. They will support you in whichever way you need, whether you are looking for advice or full application assistance. Your lawyer will work with you closely to ensure your documents meet the required standard. They will do this by filing them into a comprehensive application portfolio along with your application forms, which will be completed by them. Your lawyer will also send a Letter of Representation to UKVI. This letter uses legal knowledge and support to plead your case to the Home Office. If you would like to discuss this visa route in more detail or would like advice about your individual situation, call us on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry to request a free call-back.


How do I apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

To apply for a PPE Visa, you need to have an invitation to join you in the UK by an organisation or client.

This invitation must be to do specific paid work with them. This work can range from work as a performer, to work as a visiting lecturer.

You can make an application through the Home Office, either via post or online. For this, you will need proof of this invite and proof that you are capable of doing the work to the standard required by the UK-based client or organisation.


What is a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

A Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is a type of temporary UK visa. In some ways, it is a cross between a Visitor Visa and a Work Visa. The visa allows its holders to enter the UK for up to one month for the purpose of doing work in their specialist profession.

The route is perfect for individuals who need to visit the UK to work at an event (for example, as a performer or guest-speaker) and also for broadcast journalists.

Who can make a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa application?

A person who is an expert in their field can make an application for this visa route. Some common examples include:

  • a student examiner or assessor;
  • a guest-speaker or academic panelist;
  • a guest-lecturer (as long as this is not part/full-time);
  • a specialist pilot examine (as long as they are invited by an organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority)
  • a law professional;
  • an artist, entertainer, sportsperson or broadcast journalist; and
  • a fashion model/designer

How much does a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa cost?

The UKVI application fee for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa is £93.

If an applicant wants to receive their offer faster than the usual three weeks, they may be able to pay a premium fee to receive their answer in five working days (£212); or one working day (£956).

What evidence do I need in order to apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

The documents you need to show when you apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa are as follows:

  • your passport/travel identification (this must have a blank page for your visa);
  • proof that you can financially support yourself during your time in the UK (such as a payslip dating back to the last six months);
  • information about where you intend to stay during your time in the UK;
  • information on your travel plans (such as where you intend to go after you have been to the UK);
  • a formal invitation for the position you intend to fill (this must be from a UK-based client or organisation and the person you will be paid by if your application succeeds; and
  • proof that you are qualified to take up the position (such as proof of relevant qualifications or employment).

If you are an art, entertainment or sporting professional, you will also need to show evidence of any of the following:

  • your publications;
  • publicity material;
  • awards you have won;
  • reviews of your work;
  • media coverage of your work;
  • proof of your recent performances.

How can IAS help with your Permitted Paid Engagement Visa application?

Our lawyers can assist you with this type of visa application in the following ways:

  • assessing your eligibility by examining your invitation, qualifications, and other potential supporting documents/evidence;
  • helping you to acquire more documents from the relevant authorities;
  • completing your application forms professionally and carefully to ensure they meet the standard required by the Home Office;
  • liaising with UKVI on your behalf;
  • compiling your supporting evidence into an application portfolio — this presents your case comprehensively to immigration officials and allows them to navigate it easily;
  • writing a detailed Letter of Representation to act as a cover letter and support your application.

More information on...

Standard Visitor Visas Child Visitor Visas Dependent Child Visas

Our PPE Visa packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


Our Permitted Paid Engagement Visa lawyers

Our specialist lawyers are experienced in making successful Visitor and Work Visa applications on behalf of clients. If you want to find out more, or start an application, our PPE Visa experts can help.

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Anna: Tier 2 Work Visa

Anna, a Russian National, was promoted by her global company and was required to move her and her family to relocate to London.
However, under UK immigration rules, Anna… Read More

Godfrey: Civil Partner Visa

George was from the UK and wanted to bring Godfrey, his partner, a Ghanaian National over to the UK as a Proposed Civil Partner.
George did well in life… Read More

Moving a business to the UK

Gabrielle owned a successful business in Canada and she wanted to expand her business in the UK. She was able to focus on the business side of her expansion as… Read More

Joyah: Indefinite Leave to Remain

Joyah was a Malaysian doctor in the UK on a Tier 2 Visa. She had been applying for successive visas every one or two years and was intending to regularise her… Read More

Tomas: Child Dependent Case

Tomas had come to the UK to start his life before bringing his daughter to join him. Although not an easy application, a creative idea by his lawyer at IAS… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Latest reviews

Nasreen Ali is excellent. She helped me beyond any words can describe to get my indefinite leave to remain. My… Read More
We have been very pleased with the service we have received from IAS. From the time we first made our… Read More
I feel delighted that Nasreen Ali has submitted my application, and successfully obtained my " Residence Permit" card. She first… Read More

Latest news

Hunger strikes at Britain’s detention centres Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Bedfordshire Read More