Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Family Visa

Our team of immigration lawyers offers bespoke advice service for families of UK citizens or settled persons.

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS for Your Family Visa Application

    We can help you in obtaining a UK Family Visa. A skilled immigration lawyer from our team will examine the specifics of your case and guide you in identifying the most effective pathway for securing a Family Visa.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients achieve their Family visas, we ensure that your application is of the utmost quality.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With us, you get immigration lawyers who are dedicated to ensuring you reunite with your family member(s). Work with IAS for:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    A one-stop shop that extends beyond the application to include guidance on citizenship matters.

    Personalised Letter of Representation for a compelling family visa case.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Who is eligible for a Family Visa?

    If you’re a non-UK national and want to live and work in the UK for an extended period of time, you will need to make a UK Visa application.

    There are different types of visas available depending on your circumstance. A Family Visa is needed to join family members in the UK for a period longer than 6 months.

    If you’re living outside of the UK, you can apply to a Family Visa to join your spouse, fiancee, partner, child, parent or relative who will provide long-term care for you.

    There are certain other pathways to become eligible for a Family Visa. You can apply on the basis that:

    • Your relationship ended as a result of divorce or your partner is recently deceased
    • You can apply as the parent of a British or settled child, or child who has been in the UK for 7 years or more
    • Apply under the Ukrainian family member scheme
    • Apply to settle in the UK or Extend your family visa
    • Find out if your UK Based family member can sponsor your visa application

    What are the UK Family Visa types?

    If you are a non-UK national and intend to stay in the UK for a period that exceeds 6 months, you will need to make a Family Visa application if you are meeting one of the following requirements:

    • Your family member/spouse is a British citizen
    • Your family member/spouse has ILR or settled status
    • You have an eligible relationship with an individual in the UK with refugee status or humanitarian protection

    If you are currently living in the UK on a different visa, you may be able to switch to a family visa in order to stay with your child, fiancee or partner. There are many variations of a UK Family Visa, all of which depend on the relationship that you have with the UK settled person.

    Contact IAS today for the latest information on the different types of UK Family Visas that are available for non-UK nationals and how we can help you successfully apply to join your family members in the UK.

    family member arrives

    Spouse Visa

    Under the UK Family Visa, partners and spouses are eligible to remain in the UK for up to 2.5 years. After this time, you can apply for a further extension, which will take you to a total of 5 years remaining in the UK.

    You may them become eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain if you have lived in the UK for more than five years.

    In order to apply for a Family Visa as a partner or spouse, you will need to adhere to the following requirements:

    • You and your partner must be over the age of 18 years old to qualify for a Family Visa
    • You must be involved in a genuine relationship
    • You must intend to live in the UK (for a minimum of 2.5 years)

    If you apply for a UK Family Visa as a fiancee, then your time living in the UK on this visa will be limited to 6 months. During this time, you will have to marry your fiancee, or you may face the risk of being deported as you have failed to meet the visa requirements.

    You will also be able to include dependent children in your spouse or fiancee visa application.

    In order to be eligible for a fiancee or spouse visa, you will also need to meet the following financial requirements. The sponsoring family member, or together with the applicant if they have permission to work in the UK, have a minimum income of £29,000 earned in the UK. This requirement can be fulfilled in various ways, including solely through savings or in combination with a lower income.

    You will also need to meet one of the following language requirements in order to be eligible for a Family Visa in the UK:

    • You will have to pass the approved language test
    • You have a qualification from an English-speaking course
    • You are from a national or majority English-speaking country to qualify for a Family Visa

    These language requirements are exempt from individuals who have a mental or physical disability that prevents them from meeting this requirement or are 65 years or older when applying for a Family Visa.

    Our immigration team has helped hundreds of cases. Let us help you too!

    Child Dependent Visa

    Children who are overseas nationals can apply for a UK Family Visa either on their parent’s application or as a separate application.

    In order to qualify for a Family Visa, they must be under the age of 18 when the application was made. In addition to this, the child must also still be living and a dependent and can’t have formed an independent family unit.

    In order to bring children to the UK to live, the parent or carer must also be financially eligible.

    Similarly to the spouse visa applications, the child will be eligible to apply for British naturalisation after 5 years of residing in the UK after the Family Visa expires.

    Contact IAS to find out how your loved ones can join you in the UK

    UK Ancestry Visa

    A UK Ancestor Family Visa is a unique visa type.

    Only those with a British born grandparent can apply for an Ancestry Visa.

    This allows you to work, live and study in the UK and after the five years are up, you will be eligible to apply for settled status.

    Adult Dependent Visa for South Africans

    Adult Dependent Visa

    If you’re over the age of 18 and are in need of long-term care, you may be eligible for an Adult Dependent Visa. This is reserved for individuals who want to enter the UK as a parent, grandparent or adult child of a British Citizen.

    You can apply to live in the UK under an Adult Dependent Visa under exceptional circumstances. This Family Visa is reserved for those who are in need of long-term care, which can be provided by your relative in the UK.

    Unlike the majority of Family Visa types, the Adult Dependent Visa allows you to remain in the UK indefinitely, as long as the UK relative is a British Citizen or has settled status in the UK. In addition to this, you are enabled to remain in the UK on this visa if your relative has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

    This visa is reserved for special circumstances and is quite difficult to obtain. In order to be accepted, you must satisfy the following:

    • You must provide a large amount of evidence that you don’t have adequate care in your country of origin for an Adult Dependent Family Visa
    • You must be over the age of 18
    • You must be related to the individual who has British Citizenship or settled status in the UK

    Family Reunion Visa

    Under the Home Office’s Refugee Family Reunion initiative it is possible for family members of refugees in the UK to apply to join them.

    The Family Reunion Visa UK requirements mean the person granted refugee status will act as the sponsor for close family members. You will only be deemed a suitable sponsor if you do not have British citizenship status but are lawfully resident in the country and you must be able to provide evidence of the following applies to you:

    • Have refugee status
    • Been granted humanitarian protection status for at least five years
    • Entered the UK under the Gateway Protection Programme , Mandate Refugee Programme or Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement (VPR) scheme

    PBS Dependent Visa

    The Points Based System (PBS) Dependent leave to remain permits the family members of someone living in the UK to live, work and study in the UK. The PBS Dependant Visa is valid as long as the sponsoring visa holder has permission to stay in the country.

    The primary visa holder will need to already hold or being applying for a qualifying visa route, such as a Skilled Work Visa, to enable family members to make a PBS Dependant UK Visa application.

    Contact IAS for more information on selecting the correct visa to meet your situation.

    Family Visa appeal

    There is no single version of a UK Family Visa, rather there are a number of visas that are grouped in this category.

    The application process and the appeals process vary depending on the type of visa you have applied for.

    Below are the ways that you can appeal a refused Family Visa application (please note that the exact steps will vary depending on the type of visa).

    1. Speak with a qualified immigration lawyer to discuss the options available to you
    2. Carefully read your letter of refusal to identify what your next steps are (appeal or review)
    3. Check the length of time you have to submit your request for appeal or review
    4. Address the reasons for refusal so that you can maximise your chances of the decision being overturned
    5. If it is possible to request a reconsideration of the application owing to a clear error on behalf of UKVI, this could be an option
    6. Submit the relevant documents (where required)
    7. Wait for a decision to be issued

    Where you receive an unsuccessful decision, it may be more valuable to resubmit a fresh application, although this will mean having to pay the application fee again.

    Reasons why a Family Visa might be rejected

    Some of the most common reasons for having a Family Visa rejected include the following:

    • The applicant failed to demonstrate how they met the requirements
    • Adequate supporting information was not submitted
    • The applicant is considered a risk to UK public good or public health
    • False or misleading information included in the application

    A criminal conviction is likely to negatively impact your feedback from your visa application or your eligibility to naturalise as a British citizen as it goes against the Good Character requirement. For applicants this particular issue applies to, you may be able to extend your leave instead. Contact us today to discuss when you will become eligible for this.

    How can IAS help you apply for a Family Visa?

    At IAS, we know that being close to family is important and obtaining a Family Visa can ensure that you don’t have to split up from your family. Our team of dedicated immigration lawyers can help you with applications for all types of Family Visas. We will work with you to assess your different options, check your dependent’s status and perform a thorough document check for you.

    One of our lawyers will prepare a Letter of Representation, which will provide evidence of the merits of your application and supporting UK immigration laws, to be submitted with your Family Visa UK application.

    Your lawyer will also liaise with the Home Office throughout your Family Visa application until a decision is reached and complete your application form using their experienced knowledge. This service will improve your chances of receiving a Family Visa.

    You can contact us at our offices in LondonManchester, or Birmingham, or use our office finder to find your closest branch.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The dependent child of a British Citizen or a person with settled status can apply for permission to enter and remain in the UK temporarily or permanently. To qualify, the Home Office must be satisfied that the child is:

    • under the age of 18;
    • not leading an independent life;
    • not married or in a civil partnership; and
    • has not formed an independent family unit.

    There are several additional requirements, with more for adopted children. Adopted children are also eligible, there is no requirement for the children to be biologically related to you.

    If the parent of the dependent child applies to enter or remain in the UK as a partner or parent, they must meet a financial requirement. In all other cases, the parent will need to show they can accommodate the child without help from public funds. In some cases, depending on the status of the parent(s) settlement, the child may need to apply as a points-based system (PBS) dependent.

    As the parent, grandparent, sibling or child over the age of 18 of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you can only apply for permission to come here in exceptional circumstances, ie; where you need long-term personal care that your UK sponsor can provide.

    The application must be made from outside the UK and your visa must be obtained before travelling.

    You may be eligible for a British Ancestry Visa if you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country and one of your grandparents was born in either the UK, before March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland or on a British-registered ship or aircraft.
    You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents.

    A British Ancestry Visa allows holders to live, work and study in the UK for a period of up to five years, at which point they may be eligible to apply for a renewal or apply for settled status in the UK.

    As as the parent of a child who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply for permission to enter or stay here. You will need to show that:

    • you have sole responsibility for the child, or at the very least access rights;
    • you can maintain yourself without relying on public funds;
    • you meet the suitability and English language requirements.

    If you meet all the requirements you will be given temporary permission to remain in the UK for 30 months. You will be eligible to stay for a further 30 months if you continue to meet the requirements and after five years you can apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

    If you are outside the UK you must obtain your visa before travelling.

    If you are already in the UK you will be eligible so long as you are not on a Visitor Visa or on temporary admission, permission to stay was not given for a period of less than six months (unless as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) and you are not in breach of the Immigration Rules (overstaying for less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

    As the law currently stands, you will be able to appeal in the event that your UK Family Visa is refused.

    In the event that your application is refused, there may be other options even after the refusal. Speak to an immigration lawyer to get the best and most up to date advice.

    The law at the present time in respect of Visit Visas does not allow for a full right of appeal. You can only appeal such visas on very restricted grounds. If you have been refused a Family Visit Visa it is advisable to speak to one of our experts to advise on your options.

    With our team of expert immigration lawyers, we will be able to assist you with any type of Family Visa application.

    We will:

    • assess your eligibility for a Family Visa;
    • assess whether your UK relative is eligible to act as your sponsor;
    • help you make sure you have acceptable proof of your relationship to your relative for your application;
    • perform a full document check to ensure that they are sufficient;
    • confer with you in person, via phone or Skype at a suitable time for you;
    • prepare a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This is a document containing information about your case and its merits. It will also reference all relevant UK immigration laws that might support your application;
    • liaise with the Home Office throughout the process;
    • complete each part of your application in full and to a professional standard.

    Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 to make an enquiry

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us