Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Canada study visas

International students who want to come to Canada to study need to obtain a Study Visa. Find out more about the requirements and the application process.

Call us on +443334149244 for immediate help and assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Canada Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Canada visa or permit, IAS Canada immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Canada successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in  immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Spain immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Services we Provide

    How can I come to Canada to study?

    The main option for foreign citizens who wish to study in Canada is to obtain the Canadian Study Permit intended for those who plan to study there for at least 6 months.

    Another route for international students to come to study in Canada is the Student Direct Stream allowing legal residents of certain countries to obtain their Canadian Study Permit faster than usual.

    For advice regarding which of these routes you should venture down, call our lawyers on +443334149244.

    What is the Canadian Study Permit?

    The Canadian Study Permit allows foreign nationals to come to Canada to study at one of the designated learning institutes (DLI).

    The Canadian Study Permit is not a visa, however, so it does not allow entry into Canada. Those who want to come to the country to study need to also obtain a visa such as the Visitor Visa or Electronic Travel Authorisation. Only after they receive it will they be able to enter the country.

    The Canadian government usually issues one of these after they approve someone’s application for a study permit.

    If you come to Canada on the Study Permit you must:

    • Make progress towards completing your study course
    • Respect the conditions of your visa
    • Stop your studies if you no longer meet the requirements for your course
    • Not work
    • Leave Canada after your permit expires
    • Study at an academic institution other than the one listed on your visa.

    What are the new rules for 2024?

    The Canadian government have introduced some new changes to the Study Permit as of January 2024.

    These changes are as follows:

    • From January 2024, most applicants for a Canadian Study Permit looking to study at a college or undergraduate level will need to obtain and submit a provincial attestation letter (PAL) as part of their application. Students looking to study in Quebec will continue to require a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) instead of a PAL.
    • There will be a cap on the number of Study Permits issued in the years 2024 and 2025. For 2024, around 360,000 Study Permits are estimated to be issued.
    • The minimum amount of money required for each student and their dependents has risen. For one person, the minimum figure required is now CAD$20,635 instead of CAD$10,000 as it was prior to January 2024.
    • Those graduating from Master’s programmes lasting at least 8 months will now be eligible to apply for a 3-year Post-Graduation Work Permit.
    • Spouses of international students at undergraduate or college level will not be eligible for open work permits. Open work permits will only be available to the spouses of international students in Master’s or Doctoral programmes.

    Who is eligible for the Canadian Study Permit?

    To be able to obtain the Study Permit to Canada, applicants need to meet the following eligibility requirements:

    • Be enrolled in a post-secondary level institution from the designated learning institutions list (DLI)
    • Have enough funds to pay for tuition fees and living expenses in Canada
    • Be in good health
    • Intend to leave Canada after their study visa expires
    • Be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
    • Not have a criminal record
    • Have a valid Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from their place of study (unless exempt)
    3 students sitting in a circle

    What is the application process for the Study Permit to Canada?

    Applications for the Study Permit to Canada need to be submitted from abroad. And you must apply online. The process of applying online is more straightforward and the processing time is shorter.

    When applying online, applicants have to upload electronic copies of the documents that prove their eligibility for the Study Permit. They also need to have a valid credit card to pay the visa application fee of CAN$150.

    After applicants submit the application form and all the supporting documents, immigration officials need to review them to determine whether or not the foreign national meets the criteria for the Study Permit.

    Applicants may be required to undergo an interview with officials or provide further information. Depending on the circumstances, there might also be a need for a medical exam (if required) or a police certificate (if required).

    If you need assistance with collecting the necessary evidence, get in touch with our lawyers who will explain to you in detail what documents you have to gather. Hiring an immigration lawyer is advisable as the failure to submit some of the required evidence can cause delays in the application process.

    Our lawyers can give you a thorough understanding of the Canadian study visas.

    What is the Student Direct Stream?

    The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an accelerated route for legal residents of certain countries to obtain the Canadian Study Permit. This means that if you are living in one of the eligible countries and you meet all the standard eligibility criteria, you can get the Study Permit quicker than usual.

    You can only apply for the Canadian Study Permit through the Student Direct Stream if you are a legal resident in one of the following countries:

    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Colombia
    • Morocco
    • Philippines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • Brazil
    • Costa Rica
    • Pakistan
    • Senegal
    • Vietnam
    • China
    • India
    • Peru
    • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

    If you are a citizen of one of these countries but you live elsewhere, you are not eligible for the Student Direct Stream and, if you want to come to Canada to study, you need to go through the standard application process.

    What is the application process for the Direct Student Stream?

    Applications for the Direct Student Stream need to be submitted online and, when doing it, applicants have to have access to the following:

    • The instruction from the website of the Canadian government explaining how to fill the necessary forms
    • A scanner or camera to create copies of supporting documents
    • A credit or debit card to pay the application fee.

    During the online application process, applicants have to select a country where they are legal residents from the drop-down list. Once they do that, they will get access to detailed visa information and instructions from their local visa office.

    Then, they will be directed to the log-in page of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) account. Those who do not have an account will be able to create one.

    Instructions from the local visa office explain what additional documents applicants have to provide.

    Our team can assist with any Canadian immigration concerns you have.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Applying for the Canadian Study Permit or the Direct Student Stream can be complex if you are going through the process alone. Luckily, at IAS, we have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can guide you through each step, making the visa application process straightforward and stress-free.

    We are committed to delivering the highest quality service to our clients. Thanks to the help of our lawyers, you can be sure that your application is complete and that there are no mistakes in it.

    Even if your application is unsuccessful, we can help you assess your options and find a solution.

    For more information about our services and ways in which we can help, call us today on +443334149244.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    If your application for the Study Permit to Canada is unsuccessful, you will receive a letter explaining the reasons for the refusal. Applicants have the right to appeal the decision or submit their application again immediately after the first one is rejected.

    Applications for both the Canadian Study Permit and the Student Direct Stream cost CAN$150. There might also be other fees applicants need to cover, for example, for having their supporting documents issued. Also, all thinking of studying abroad in Canada need to demonstrate that they are able to pay tuition fees and cover their living expenses during their studies.

    As part of the application process for the Student Direct Stream, applicants need to submit the following documents:

    • An acceptance letter from a designated academic institution in Canada
    • Proof that they have paid tuition for the first year of study
    • A Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$20,635 (previously $10,000)
    • Most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcripts
    • A language test result confirming that they have a good command of the English language
    • A Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (only applicable to those planning to study in Quebec).

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us