Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

US immigration lawyers

We are a team of American immigration lawyers that genuinely care about your future.

We take the burden of the immigration and citizenship application process off your neck. We are committed to maximizing your chances of success, regardless of how complex your case is. We offer a wide range of services tailored to meet each client’s needs and preferences.

Contact us today on +1 844 290 6312 for immediate guidance and assistance with your situation. We are here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a U.S. Visa?

    If you are a foreign citizen who wishes to travel to the U.S., you may first need to obtain a visa.

    Having a U.S. visa allows you to live in the U.S. for a specific purpose and over a fixed period of stay. If you already have a relative in the U.S., they may be eligible to sponsor your visa by filing a petition to bring you over. Otherwise, you may need to submit your application to seek permission to enter the country.

    There are also certain categories of immigration visas that are only available to skilled professionals and are subject to an annual cap. This means there is a limit to the total number of visas that can be issued under a category each year. Applicants in these categories may need to wait for several months or even years before getting the visa.

    The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues a monthly bulletin where you can get information about visa availability and check your visa application status.

    US flag
    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews
    TrustPilot Logo

    How can my partner join me in the U.S.?

    If you are a U.S. citizen, there are different ways of bringing your foreign partner to join you in the U.S. This will depend on the status of your relationship.

    Spouse: If you are married, your foreign spouse can apply for a Nonimmigrant Spouse Visa, known as a K3 Visa. You will have to petition the USCIS and demonstrate evidence of a valid relationship between you and your spouse. If the petition is approved, your foreign spouse will then apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of residence. This will allow them to travel to the U.S. to join you.

    Fiancée(e): If you have a foreign fiancée(e), you can bring them to the U.S. by applying for a Nonimmigrant Fiancée(e) visa, also known as a K1 Visa. You must demonstrate that you have both been in a relationship and are ready to marry. The process also requires you to petition USCIS to demonstrate evidence of a genuine relationship. If the petition is approved, your foreign fiancée(e) will apply for a visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of residence. You must get married within 90 days of your fiancée(e)’s admission into the U.S.

    Dependent Children: If your partner (spouse or fiancée) has dependent children, you may petition USCIS to bring them to the U.S. by filing K4 Visa or K2 Visa, respectively.

    How can I help my family travel to the U.S.?

    If you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you can sponsor your relatives’ visa applications. There are various categories of family-based visas under U.S. immigration law. They are as follows:

    • IR1 or CR1 for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (the spouse, minor child, or parent of a U.S. citizen).
    • First preference (F1): Unmarried children over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens.
    • Second Preference (F2A): Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of permanent residents.
    • Second Preference (F2B): Unmarried adult sons or daughters of permanent residents.
    • Third Preference (F3): Married sons or daughters of U.S. citizens.
    • Fourth Preference (F4): Adult brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
    Woman Fixing a Binder of Documents in front of a desk and a laptop

    How can I work in the U.S.?

    You can apply for an employment-based visa to travel to the U.S. There are temporary work visas that allow people to live and work for a given period of time, ranging from months to years. There are also permanent work visas that allow people to stay and work in the U.S. for as long as they want.

    The U.S. temporary work visas include:

    • H1B Visa, for foreign professionals in speciality occupations
    • L1A and L1B Intracompany Transferee for individuals working in a U.S.-based branch of their company.
    • E1 and E2 Visas for foreign traders and investors
    • Foreign media representatives, entertainers, athletes, and religious workers
    • Applicants from Mexico and Canada under the NAFTA agreement.

    The U.S. permanent employment-based immigrant visas include:

    • First Preference (EB1) for priority workers
    • Second Preference (EB2) for members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional ability
    • Third Preference (EB3) for skilled workers, professionals, or other workers
    • Fourth Preference (EB4) for special immigrants, such as religious workers and special immigrant juveniles
    • Fifth Preference (EB5) for immigrant investors.

    What visa do I need to visit the U.S.?

    If you wish to visit the U.S. for a short period, you will need to obtain one of the following visas:

    To be eligible, you must demonstrate evidence of your nonimmigrant intent. In order words, you must return to your home country at the end of the period of stay approved on your visa.

    How can I study in the U.S.?

    If you wish to study in the U.S., you can apply for one of the three following study visas:

    • F Student Visa: for study at an accredited U.S. university or college. The visa also allows applicants who wish to study English at an accredited study English language institute.
    • J Exchange Visitor Visa: for participants in an exchange program, including university and high school study.
    • M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational training or study in the United States.

    Before you can apply for an F, M, or J student visa, you must first apply and be accepted by a U.S. higher education institution accredited by the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP).

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your US immigration issue. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      us immigration advice

      How can I obtain U.S. citizenship?

      There are different ways to become a U.S. citizen. They include:

      • Birthright citizenship for people born within the territorial limits of the U.S.
      • Citizenship by Naturalization: through which a non-U.S. citizen becomes an American citizen after meeting certain eligibility requirements.
      • Citizenship Through the Green Card Lottery, which is held every fiscal year.
        You must first determine which of the routes you are eligible for and then file a petition with USCIS.

      What services does IAS offer?

      The U.S. immigration and citizenship applications require a series of processes and documentation. Any little mistake can cause delay or rejection of your application.
      To avoid such pitfalls, ensure a timely process, and maximize your chances of visa approval, it is advisable to seek legal advice. This is where we come in.

      At IAS, our immigration lawyers have extensive knowledge of the immigration system and can help make your immigration and citizenship process less stressful. We help you gather your supporting documents, file your application forms, and liaise with USCIS.

      To start discussing the best way we can help you obtain your U.S. visa, get in touch with us today. You can call us on +1 844 290 6312 or use our online contact form.

      immigration lawyer Beadnell
      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.