Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

H4 Visa

You can apply for the H4 dependent visa and live in the US if you’re an eligible family member of an H visa holder.

Contact us today via +1 844 290 6312 or +443334149244 for immediate guidance on your US immigration and citizenship processing. We are here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the H4 Visa?

    The H4 visa is a dependent visa for family members of H visa holders. The visa is available to dependents of the following H visa holders:

    Dependents eligible for the H4 visa are spouses and unmarried children under 21. Though parents of H visa holders can’t apply for H4, they can travel to the US with other visa types.

    With an H4 visa, you can travel to the US and live with the main H visa holder. This visa has many benefits, which include:

    • You can live in the US
    • You can attend schools
    • You can open a bank account
    • You can work anywhere with an EAD
    • You can work full-time or part-time.
    • You can get a social security number and tax ID
    • You can start up your own business
    • You can apply for a driver’s license

    There’s no annual quota or cap on the number of people that can apply for an H4 visa. Hence, there’s no deadline, and you can apply at any time.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Required Documents

    The following documents are necessary for your H4 visa application;

    • Copy of your international passport
    • Copy of the principal H visa (approved visa or application if applying at the same time)
    • Copy of the international passport of the principal H visa holder
    • Two passport size photographs
    • H4 visa application confirmation
    • Birth certificate for unmarried children under 21
    • Marriage certificate for spouses
    • A reference letter from the sponsor of the H1 visa holder
    • Proof of financial stability
    • Application fee receipts

    You’ll upload some of these documents during the application process. You’ll also have to take them along with you to your visa interview.

    The US Embassy only accepts original documents for visa applications. Other government-issued ID documents may substitute for birth and marriage certificates in some cases if the original documents are unavailable.
    Furthermore, you’ll need certified English translations for non-English documents.

    lawful permanent resident status
    dependent family members

    H4 Visa Application

    The first thing to do is to complete the Form DS-160 online. Provide all the necessary details and upload all required documents. Finally, print the application confirmation page – this is the page containing the barcode.

    You have to pay the DS-160 application fee before the embassy can begin processing. Ensure to print the payment confirmation receipt.
    Next, you have to schedule a visa interview. The interview will most likely take place in the country you reside in. You can schedule an appointment with any US Embassy closest to you.

    It’s important to schedule your interview as soon as you can. You also have to schedule an appointment for biometrics.

    If you’re already in the US on a different nonimmigrant visa, you don’t have to file Form DS-160. You have to apply for a change of visa status by filing Form I-539.

    The form is available on the USCIS website. You’re to fill the form and submit it at the specified mailing address.

    H4 Visa Fees

    For the Form DS-160 application, the fee is $160. You may also have to pay a biometrics services fee of $85. If you’re in the US, the filing fee for Form I-539 is $370.

    The money you pay for visa applications and biometrics services is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of your application.

    Depending on your country of residence, you may need to pay a visa reciprocity fee after your visa interview. Mainly, it’s if your country also imposes additional fees for US nationals applying for visas.

    H4 Visa Interview

    Your H4 visa interview is a major deciding factor on your visa application. An embassy staff will ask you questions about your application. The interview questions will mainly be about yourself and your relationship with the principal H visa holder. The main reason for this interview is to ensure only genuine immediate relatives receive the visa.

    Before attending your interview, try to know as much detail as you can about the principal H visa holder and their work in the US. Furthermore, the answer you give must be true with what you submitted in forms and other documents.

    After your interview, you’ll know if your visa application is accepted or rejected. The verdict may not be out immediately. You may have to check the USCIS website regularly with your application number.

    Nevertheless, you’ll get a notification from the embassy once a decision has been made on your application.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your H4 visa application Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      H4 Visa Processing Time

      The caseload of the US Embassy processing your visa will determine the processing time. This is why you just schedule your interview immediately after filing your application.

      After your interview, it may take weeks or days for the embassy to make a decision. If approved, they’ll send you your passport with the H-4 visa stamp. For those in the US, changing nonimmigrant status to H4 may take 9 to 16 months to process.
      The embassy may issue an RFE (Request for Evidence) on your application which may delay processing. This is if they need additional information, which you must submit immediately.

      For H1, H2, and H3, it’s possible to apply and pay for premium processing which will take no more than 15 days. However, this option isn’t available for H4 visas.

      H4 Visa Validity

      The validity period of the principal H visa is the same as your H visa. H1 visas are valid for a maximum of 3 years, and could be extended for another 3 years if the applicant meets eligibility requirements for visa extensions.

      The principal H visa sponsor will include the expiration date of the sponsorship when filing Form, I-797. You’ll also find this expiration date in your passport visa document.

      You can renew your H4 visa anytime the principal H visa holder renews theirs. When their purpose of stay in the US comes to an end or the visa expires, you have a 60-day grace period before leaving the US.

      This also applies if your H1B relative loses their job before the expiration date. During the grace period, they can find a new employer to sponsor them on another H visa application or change status to a different visa if they wish to remain in the US. If they can’t, you will both lose your status and be required to leave the country.

      H4 EAD Application

      To be eligible to work as an H4 visa holder, you must be a dependent of an H1B holder. Dependents of other H visas do not qualify.

      Also, the H1B visa holder must be eligible to obtain a green card and should file Form I-140 for permanent residence status.

      You can apply for a H4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) once the Form I-140 petition is approved, even if they’re yet to get a green card. Due to priority dates, it can take many years from I-140 approval to green card issuance.

      You have to file Form I-765 for the EAD application. The filing fee is $410. You’ll also have to submit documents to reconfirm your relationship with the H1B visa holder.

      It takes 90 days to process the EAD. If the embassy cancels the Form I-140 before you get your EAD, you lose your eligibility.

      On the other hand, if you’ve gotten the EAD already, it’ll stay valid until its expiration date. However, you cannot renew your EAD if the H1B holder doesn’t have an approved I-140.

      primary h visa holder

      If you have any questions about your H4 application, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

        Fill out the form

        How can IAS help?

        At IAS, we have years of experience helping spouses and children of H visa holders get approved for an H4 visa. We are trained in US immigration law and provide immigration services to support you in your visa application. Our services include:

        • Assessing your status & documents to offer legal advice on your options
        • Assistance with gathering evidence to prove that the dependent is the principal’s spouse or child.
        • Filling the H4 visa application
        • Communicating with USCIS on your behalf

        Our lawyers will file your H4 application with the highest standards for success. For information or assistance with your application, call +1 844 290 6312 or email [email protected].

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  H4 visa has dual intent, which means you can apply for lawful permanent residence status without it affecting your dependent status.

                  For faster processing, you may have to first change your H4 to a different non-immigrant status before applying for a green card.

                  If you are a dependent of an H1B visa holder, then you may not need to bother yourself about qualifying for a green card on your own. If your H1B spouse or parent meets eligibility for a green card, you will also become eligible to apply for and obtain a green card.

                  No, the USCIS doesn’t H-4 impose any travel restrictions limits on H4 visa holders. You are free to travel in and out of the United States as long as your visa is valid. However, you can only partake in activities your H4 status supports.

                  You may be eligible to change your status from H4 to H1B if you meet the H1B visa application and job offer requirements. H1B visa requires sponsorship by a US employer with completion of a change of status requirements.