How To Immigrate to Canada
Immigrating to Canada may seem like a daunting task, but with the help of the Immigration advice service, it doesn’t have to be. We are here to help you every step of the way, from finding the right program to filling out your application.
- The first step is to choose which immigration program you want to apply for. There are many different programs available, and each has its own requirements.
- Once you have chosen a program, the next step is gathering all required documents. This can include things like your passport, birth certificate, and proof of financial resources.
- The next step is to fill out your application forms.
- Once your application is complete, the final step is submitting it to the Canadian government for approval.
- Approval can take several months, so it is important to be patient.
- Once you have all your ducks in a row, the next step is to get to Canada.
- If you are approved for an immigrant visa, you will need to obtain a permanent resident card. This can be done by mail or at a Canadian embassy or consulate.
- Once you have your permanent resident card, you are free to move to Canada and start your new life!
Types of Canadian Visa
There are many different types of Canadian visas, and the type you need will depend on your situation. The most common types of visas are:
- Permanent Residency Visa
- Work Visas
- Business Visas
- Family Visas
- Express Entry Program Visas
- Visitor Visas
Depending on your situation, you may need to apply for one or more of these visas. For example, if you are immigrating to Canada to work, you will need to apply for a work visa.
If you are immigrating to Canada with your family for work, you will also need to apply for a family visa.
The best way to determine your visa type is to contact the Immigration advice service. We will be able to assess your situation and help you determine which visa is right for you.
Permanent Residency Visa
A permanent residency visa is a visa that allows you to live and work in Canada indefinitely. It gives you the same
To be a Canadian permanent residence, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a valid passport
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must be in good health
- You must have no criminal record
- You must have IELTS Score Card
If you meet all of the above requirements, you can apply for a permanent residency visa by filling out an application form and submitting it to the Canadian government.
The durability of a permanent residency visa is contingent on you following the terms of your visa. For example, your permanent residency status may be revoked if you are convicted of a crime.
But if you follow the terms of your visa and follow the Canadian law, your permanent resident status will continue indefinitely. Nevertheless, your permanent residency card must be renewed every five years.
Canadian temporary work routes or visas are for foreign nationals who want to come to Canada to work for a specific employer for a specific period of time.
Here are the different types of work visas available in Canada:
- Working Holiday Visa
- Canada Work Permit
- Post-Graduation Work Permit
Working Holiday Visa
The working holiday visa Canada program is one of the best working holiday programs in the world. If you are a young person between the ages of 18 and 35, you may be eligible to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Canada.
With this visa, you will be able to work in Canada for up to two years. You can also study in Canada for up to six months.
To be eligible for a working holiday visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a valid passport
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 35
- You must have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
- You must be from a participating country. Some of the participating countries are: Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Canada Work Permit
If you have been offered a job in Canada, you will need to apply for a work permit. A work permit is a document that allows you to work in Canada for a specific period of time, normally no longer than the duration of your job contract.
There are a few things you need to do in order to be eligible for a work permit in Canada.
- You need to have a valid passport.
- You need to have a job offer from a Canadian employer.
- You need to meet the eligibility requirements for the specific type of work permit that you are applying for.
Post-Graduation Work Permit
The Post-Graduation Work Permit program allows international students who have graduated from a Canadian college or university to work in Canada for up to three years.
To be eligible for this program:
- You must have graduated from a Canadian college or university.
- You must also have a valid study permit when you apply for a post-graduation work permit.
- You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving your diploma or degree.
Canadian Business Visas
Canadian business visas are available to foreign nationals who want to start a business in Canada. There are two types of business immigration programs: the Start-up Visa program and the Canadian Investor Visa program.
- The Start-up Visa program is for entrepreneurs who have innovative business ideas and want to start a business in Canada. To be eligible for this program, you must have a business plan that a designated Canadian organization has evaluated. You must also meet the minimum investment requirements for your Canadian province or territory.
- The Canadian Investor Visa program is for foreign nationals who want to invest in a Canadian business. To be eligible for this program, you must also make a minimum investment of $250,000 in a Canadian business.
- Under the business visas, we also have the self-employed visa, which is for foreign nationals who want to be self-employed in Canada. To be eligible for this program, you must have the intention and ability to create your own job by being self-employed in Canada. In addition, you must also have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics.
Canadian Family Visas
The family visas program was created to reunite families in Canada. The family visas program allows foreign nationals to sponsor their family members (spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent children, adopted children, and other eligible relatives) to come to Canada.
Eligibility requirements for sponsors:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Have enough income to support your spouse or partner and any dependent children during their first three years in Canada.
- Not be inadmissible to Canada.
- In order to sponsor your spouse or partner, you must be married, in a common-law relationship, or in a conjugal relationship.
- You must also have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.
- If you are sponsoring your dependent children, they must be under the age of 22 and not married or in a common-law relationship.
Who cannot sponsor spouses, partners, or children?
- You cannot sponsor a spouse, partner, or child if you are in prison
- You cannot sponsor a spouse, partner, or child if you have been convicted of certain crimes
- You cannot sponsor a spouse, partner, or child if you have defaulted on your previous sponsorship undertakings
- You cannot sponsor a spouse, partner, or child if you are receiving social assistance
Your spouse or common-law partner must also:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Not be inadmissible to Canada.
How to Apply for Canadian Family Visas
The process of applying for Canadian family visas is different depending on whether you are applying from inside or outside of Canada.
- If you are applying from inside Canada, you must submit your application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.
- If you are sponsoring your spouse or partner, you must also submit an additional application for permanent residence.
- If you are applying from outside Canada, you must submit your application to the visa office responsible for your country or region.
- If you are sponsoring your spouse or partner, you will also need to submit an additional application for permanent residence.
- The processing time for Canadian family visas varies depending on the visa office.
Express Entry Program visas
An Express Entry visa is a new type of visa that was introduced in 2015. This type of visa is for skilled workers who want to live and work in Canada. There are four main categories of Express Entry visas:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trade Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Provincial Nominee Program
To be eligible for an Express Entry visa, you must score a minimum of 67 points on the express entry pool. The selection grid is based on factors such as age, education, work experience, and language skills.
You can apply for an Express Entry visa online. You will first need to create an account on the Immigrate to Canada website. Once you have created an account, you can complete the online application form and submit it to the Canadian government.
The processing time for Express Entry visas is six months or less.
If you want to visit Canada, you may need a visitor visa. A visitor visa is also known as a temporary resident visa. You will need a visitor visa if you are from a country that is not on the list of countries that are exempt from the requirement. Here are some types of visitor visas in Canada:
- Visitor visa.
- Super visa.
- Transit visa.
- Electronic Travel Authorization.
A visitor visa is for people who want to visit Canada for tourism, business, or personal reasons. It allows you to stay in Canada for up to six months. You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for a visitor visa, such as having a valid travel document, being in good health, and having enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.
A super visa is for parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. To get the super visa, you must apply through the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC website) formerly known as Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The super visa allows you to stay in Canada for up to two years at a time. For one to qualify for a super visa, they must meet the following requirements:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident must invite you to Canada. They must also complete an application form and sign it.
- You must have a valid travel document, such as a passport.
- You must be in good health and have had a medical exam done within the past 12 months.
- You must have valid health insurance from a Canadian company for at least one year.
If you’re passing through Canada by plane on your way to another country, you might need a transit visa.
You don’t need one if you:
- Have a valid visa for the country you’re going to.
- Are traveling to or from the United States and have a valid passport.
You might need a transit visa if you’re not from a visa-exempt country and:
- Are traveling to or from the United States and don’t have a valid passport.
- Are flying through Canada on your way to another country and don’t have a valid visa for that country.
- Are traveling to or from the United States and have a criminal record.
- Have been refused entry into Canada, the United States, or any other country.
You can apply for a transit visa online or on paper. If you’re applying online, you must have a credit card to pay the processing fee.
Electronic Travel Authorization
The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to or transiting through Canada by air. It is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. You need an eTA if you plan to visit Canada and are:
- From a visa-exempt country.
- Traveling by air.
- Not already a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered under the Indian Act.
If you have a valid Canadian visa, you do not need an eTA.
You can apply for an eTA online on the IRCC website. The process is usually quick and easy. You should get a decision on your application within minutes.
How to Apply for a Canadian Immigration Program
Here’s is a step by step for people who want to Immigrate to Canada
- Decide which immigration program you want to apply for.
- Get help to choose the right immigration program.
- Check if you meet the requirements of the program.
- Choose the province you want to live in and settle; the provinces include Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Yukon.
- Immigrate as a permanent resident through Express Entry.
- Complete an online profile.
- Get invited to apply.
- Fill out the application form.
- Gather all the documents you need and make sure they are valid.
- Pay your fees.
- Submit your application and wait for a decision. You will need to submit more documents if you are invited to apply.
- After you apply, get ready to enter Canada.
- Check the status of your application online.
How Can IAS Help?
Immigrating to Canada can be a strenuous task, with all of the paperwork and requirements. However, the Immigration Advice Service can help make the process much easier.
We have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can help you with your Canadian citizenship application process. The services we offer include:
- Free initial consultation.
- Complete assessment of your eligibility.
- A detailed explanation of the Canadian immigration process.
- Comprehensive analysis of your supporting documents.
- Expert advice on which immigration program to choose.
- Guidance on how to improve your application.
- Professional representation at your visa interview.
- On-going support after your arrival in Canada.
If you’re interested in immigrating to Canada, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you get started on the path to success.
Last modified on August 10th, 2023 at 11:17 am
Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.
We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.
Fast Track Package
Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.
The Advice Package
With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.
The Application Package
Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.
The Appeal Package
Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.