Certificate of Sponsorship

We can help you obtain your Certificate of Sponsorship as part of our Sponsorship Application Package

If you are a UK-registered company and you want to hire a non-EEA or Swiss employee you will, in most cases, need to sponsor them before they can legally take on the role.

Before entering the UK to take on a prospective role at your company or business, your migrant employee must obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). A CoS will allow the individual to then apply for his/her appropriate Work Visa and gain the right to work in the UK. You must apply for a CoS once you have made a job offer to any non-EEA or Swiss migrant. Once the CoS has been processed, they will be able to apply for their visa with you as their UK sponsor.

Our highly-qualified immigration lawyers can help you obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship. Our premium Immigration Consultancy services are designed exclusively for businesses and make sure that your HR methods are functioning legally. We will liaise with the Home Office and your prospective employee, procuring and checking all necessary documents. With this, we will ensure that the prospective employee is in line with immigration regulations. We will also assist you with your use of the Online Sponsor Management System to ensure that your CoS application is properly made. Contact us today for a consultation with one of our immigration lawyers.


How do I apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship?

It is important to note that you can only apply for a CoS if you are already a Sponsorship Licence holder, as this entitles you to make job offers to non-EEA foreign national. Once you are a UK registered sponsor, you will be eligible to apply for a CoS on behalf of your future migrant employee.

Once a job offer has been made to this future employee, your company will need to make an application for a CoS to the HMRC Compliance team. You will need to do this using your company’s Online Sponsor Management System and you need to be a Level 2 minimum to make an application.

After the CoS has been issued, it will act as a validation for your prospective Tier 2 employee. It will act as proof of their job offer, the role they will be filling and their salary in their application for their Work Visa.

What are the different types of CoS?

Certificates of Sponsorship are categorised into two types: the type which you will need to apply for on behalf of your migrant employee depends upon several different factors.

An Unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship is applicable to:

  • Non-EEA or Swiss nationals, who are prospective employees of a UK-registered business and are earning more than £159,600 per year (or)
  • Employees who are applying while on another visa from within the UK, with the intention of switching to a Tier 2 Work Visa (this excludes any dependants of Tier 4 Visa holders).

A Restricted Certificate of Sponsorship is applicable to:

  • Tier 2 (General) workers currently abroad who will be paid less than £159,600 a year (or)
  • Dependent family members of Tier 4 Visa holders who are switching to a Tier 2 Visa.

It is important to note that there is a restriction on the amount of Restricted CoS issued annually. This cap is currently around 20,700 per year.

How can IAS help?

The Home Office is now placing a restriction on the number of Restricted Certificates of Sponsorship issued to UK employers each year. Because of this, it is crucial that an application for a CoS is completed to the highest standard.

Our immigration lawyers will work with you and your business to ensure that your chances of being granted a Certificate of Sponsorship are maximised.

We will assess the role and individual you intend to hire to determine which type of CoS is appropriate. We will check all the details of your prospective employee to ensure that they are meeting immigration requirements. This will involve checking that the role they will fill is either on the UK Occupation Shortage List or that it has passed the UK Labour Market Test. We will also support your use of your company’s Online Management System. Get in touch now to speak with an immigration lawyer.

Our Sponsor and Tier 2 Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Asis: EEA Free Movement

Asis, a Spanish national, was offered employment in the UK but was unsure whether or not he would be able to bring his wife and children with him when he… Read More

Parents Visiting in the UK

Harriet is dual Canadian-British Citizen who was currently living in the UK. She needed guidance on whether her Canadian Citizen parents would need a visa to enter the UK and… Read More

Mike: Visiting the UK with a Criminal Record

Mike, a South African National received the news that his brother had recently had a newborn baby boy.
Mike was eager to meet his new nephew, however his brother lived… Read More

Yuma: Tier 4 Student Visa

Yuma, a Japanese National, was accepted as a student in her chosen UK university. She was unclear of the process of coming over to the UK so she contacted IAS… Read More

Ajay: Family Visit Visa Appeal

Ajay’s Mother, a Nepalese national, wanted to visit her son who lived in the UK and applied for a Visitor Visa but was refused.
They contacted IAS and emailed the… Read More

Krishan: Refused Visitor Visa

Krishan is a Pakistani National who has recently been taking care of his parents who were unwell. He decided to visit his cousins in the UK by making a Family… Read More

Latest reviews


Really superb company


Superb service - Natalie Dolan is a legend!

George Madubuike is an outstanding lawyer. He is very enthusiastic and positive professional. With his very professional help and advice,… Read More

Latest news

Highly-Skilled Migrants Are Next in the Firing Line in Latest Immigration Scandal Read More

Home Office Accused of Dehumanising Refugees With ‘Systemic Failures’ in Handling Claims Read More

Britain Set to Offer EU Immigration Deal Similar to Free Movement Read More