UK Work Permits and Visas

Maximise your chances of a successful Tier 2 Visa application with our Application Package

Call 0333 363 8577 for a free consultation

In order to work in the UK, you will require a UK Working Visa or Work Permit if your country of origin is outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). The application process for a UK visa can be either complex or relatively straightforward depending on your individual circumstances and the nature of your application.

A Work Permit is usually needed for workers who are coming to the UK as a result of having already secured a formal offer of work from an eligible UK company with the relevant Sponsor Licence, or if you are being relocated to the UK by your current employer. Alternatively, if you have a skill that is deemed as being in short supply in the UK by the Government, then you may be eligible for a visa to come on the basis that jobs in your sector would be widely available for you to secure.

There are many different types of Work Visa that can allow you to successfully take up work in the UK. The type of UK Work Permit or Work Visa which is best for you will depend on a variety of factors such as your profession, the demand for your chosen role and the length of time you wish to spend working in the UK.

How can IAS help?

If you need assistance with your UK Work Permit or UK Work Visa, we can help. Our highly-experienced lawyers can help find the best options for you to work in the UK by assessing your background, skill-set and work intentions.

Alongside this, he/she will also make arrangements for your UK Sponsorship if this is necessary, including your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Please see our FAQs below, or get in touch on 0333 363 8577 today to arrange a meeting with an immigration lawyer.


What is a Tier 2 Visa?

A Work Permit or Work Visa is usually needed for workers who are coming to the UK, as a result of having already secured a formal offer of work from an eligible UK company with a Sponsor Licence, or if you are being relocated to the UK by your current employer.

Alternatively, if you have a skill that is deemed as being in short supply in the UK, you may be eligible for a visa that allows you to enter the UK before you have had an official job offer.

The Tier 2 Visa can last for an initial period of up to five years. You will be able to apply for a Tier 2 Visa extension as long as your stay does not total more than six years overall.

Am I eligible for a UK Work Visa?

Your eligibility will be assessed according to your background, education, qualifications, work history and achievements, amongst other things.

As the UK system consists of multiple types of visa category, it is of paramount importance that you select the right permit or visa type to suit your individual application and experience.

You should speak to your employer and to one of our expert immigration lawyers to ensure that the visa category you are applying for is the one that most closely reflects your needs.

What type of Work Permit will I need?

There are a number of different types of Work Permit for the UK and the type of application you make will vary based on your situation. Tier 1 Visas have a number of sub-classes that allow for exceptionally talented individuals, entrepreneurs and investors to work in the UK.

Tier 2 Visas also have a number of varieties that cater for those who are moving country but staying with the same employer, as well as those who are moving as a result of having secured a UK based job.

For religious ministers or sportspeople, the Tier 2 Visa is also the most likely route to take.

If you are looking for temporary work, in a role such as a sportsperson, a minister of religion or an entertainer, you can also apply for a Tier 5 Visa

In all instances, you will be required to fit a number of criteria to prove your eligibility for the relevant UK Work Permit or visa. It is absolutely crucial to your application that the correct documents and evidence are submitted along with the relevant forms in order to avoid rejection.

What is the UK Ancestry Visa?

While not specifically a work visa, the UK Ancestry Visa can be used by members of certain Commonwealth countries with British ancestry to enter the UK to live and work. This visa type does not require applicants to already have a job offer but will be granted with the understanding that you will be a job seeker when you arrive.

The UK Ancestry Visa lasts for five years. You can apply for an Ancestry Visa Extension for a further five years, or apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain if you would like to make your stay more permanent.

This is a great Work Permit alternative for those with British-born grandparents to enter the country and work with more freedom than those on a Tier 2 or Tier 5 Visa.

What services does IAS offer?

Getting the right documents to support your eligibility can be the difference between having your Work Permit granted or rejected, and there are thousands of applications every year that are refused due to incorrect or insufficient paperwork.

The Immigration Advice Service is here to assist with all types of UK visa and Work Permit applications. Our immigration lawyers are specialists in their field with vast experience in making successful applications.

We can prepare and review your application to ensure that it is in the right format, completed correctly and that you have provided accurate and extensive supporting documentation.

This gives you the very best chance of securing your UK work permit and continuing your career in the UK with as smooth a transition as possible.

Our services include:

  • checking your documents to ensure that they are sufficient;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation which will support your application;
  • liaising with the Home Office for the duration of your application;
  • organising and liaising with your Sponsor if applicable;
  • securing your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing each part of your application form to the highest standard.

Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to discuss your Work Visa/Work Permit options with one of our immigration lawyers.

Our Work Visa Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Priyanka: Family Visa

Priyanka was an Indian National who wanted to visit her daughter, of whom she had had very little contact with, in the UK.
However, she was unsure of what the… Read More

Tomas: Child Dependent Case

Tomas had come to the UK to start his life before bringing his daughter to join him. Although not an easy application, a creative idea by his lawyer at IAS… Read More

Adbenour: Legal Aid and Asylum help

Abdenour had arrived in the UK after a long and dangerous journey from his home abroad.
His home country was in the middle of a devastating conflict, and he had… Read More

Hector: Tier 2 Work Visa with Dependant

Hector, a Mexican National, was offered employment in the UK. He contacted IAS and spoke with one of our lawyers via Skype. Hector was told that he could not stay… Read More

Guy: Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 1

Guy was an international student about to finish his university course and had his sights set on starting a company in the UK. His spare time was very limited and… Read More

Matthew: Working on a Student Visa

Matthew, a US national, had been studying in the UK for three years with a Tier 4 General Student Visa.
He found a potential employer in the UK but… Read More

Latest reviews

Applying for a visa, any kind of visa is an arduous process. IAS was recommended to me by a friend… Read More

IAS evaluated my situation properly and successfully tailored my application to secure a happy result

My name is Angelo Chaves, I applied to the company IAS - Immigration Advice Service Ltd, to deal with England… Read More

Latest news

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 (5 Tips) Read More

Employers to Have Transition Period Before EU Right to Work Checks Read More