Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Creative Worker Visa

The UK offers a number of temporary work visas to foreign nationals to undertake short-term work assignments.

To apply for this visa, or to learn more about the types of visas that would suit your circumstances, contact IAS for an immediate discussion about your case.

We are on hand to discuss your case and look forward to assisting you.

Call 0333 305 3612 or use the online contact form to get in touch.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of the Creative Worker Visa

    This visa has been designed for individuals who plan to work in the UK as a creative worker.

    The Creative Worker Visa has replaced the former Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting Visa (Tier 5).

    There are strict eligibility criteria that applicants must meet including:

    • You must have been offered an eligible role in the UK as a creative worker
    • You can demonstrate you meet the visa eligibility requirements

    The definition of a creative worker, according to the UK Home Office, is one who works in the creative industries (e.g., actors, dancers, musicians, film crew members, artists, authors, translators, presenters, dancers, choreographers, producers, directors, photographers, audio equipment operators, etc.).

    Other temporary work visas include:

    If granted the Creative Visa, you can come to the UK for up to two years (24 months) to undertake permitted creative work. The visa does not lead directly to UK settlement (indefinite leave to remain).

    If you are interested in applying for this visa and need support with your application, contact IAS for immediate advice and support. Our experienced immigration lawyers can help with all stages of the application process and ensure your application is at the highest standard.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews
    TrustPilot Logo

    Who can apply for this visa?

    There are clear guidelines for who is eligible to apply for this visa. Individuals must be able to demonstrate that they:

    • Can make a unique contribution to the UK’s labour market
    • Have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a valid sponsor
    • Are paid at least the minimum salary set by trade bodies Equity, PACT, or BECTU
    • Have sufficient financial resources to support themselves (at least £1,270)

    You must also obtain 40 points under the UK’s new points-based immigration system.

    You can receive points for the Creative Worker route in the following ways:

    • Be issued a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (30 points)
    • Prove that you meet the maintenance (financial) requirement (10 points)

    The Certificate of Sponsorship is an important reference number which outlines the nature of your immigration status, your role, and the intended length of stay.

    As well as this, the applicant must not fall under the grounds for refusal. Reasons for refusal may include:

    • History of breaching immigration laws
    • Being on immigration bail

    If you are unsure about your eligibility for this visa, contact a qualified immigration lawyer who can advise you based on your personal circumstances.

    How to apply

    To apply for the creative work route, you should follow the below steps:

    1. Read the Home Office’s applicant guidance before you begin your application
    2. Apply on the website in the temporary work visa section
    3. Submit proof of your identify by providing your biometric information via app or at a visa application centre
    4. Gather your supporting documents to be submitted with your application
    5. Ensure that all the information in your application is accurate
    6. Submit your online application
    7. Wait for a decision

    What documents do you need?

    The document you need to apply for the visa include the following:

    • Certificate of Sponsorship reference number
    • Valid passport or travel document
    • Proof of sufficient savings to maintain yourself in the UK (e.g., financial statements from your bank or savings account)
    • If you are bringing dependents, evidence of your relationship with your partner and children
    • Tuberculosis test results (where relevant)
    • Certified translations of any documents not in English

    Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to submit additional documents to demonstrate your eligibility.

    Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + FREE Consultation Learn more

      Fill out the form

      Can you extend the Creative Worker Visa?

      Yes, it is possible to extend your visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.

      You must ensure to extend the visa in advance of the expiration of your current visa. Additionally, you must be in the UK while applying to extend.

      If you intend to stay with the same sponsor, you may extend for:

      • 12 months
      • The time listed on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days
      • The time required to extend your stay to a maximum of 24 months

      Or whichever event is the shorter.

      If you wish to change sponsor, you may extend for:

      • The time on your certificate plus 14 additional days
      • The time you need to extend the stay to a total of 12 months

      Switching to this visa

      Depending on your circumstances, it may be possible to switch to the Creative Worker route.

      If the following situations apply to your case, you may be eligible to apply to switch to this visa:

      • You are currently in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa or Permitted Paid Engagement
      • You have been undertaking certain eligible activities within the creative sector
      • You received a Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer prior to arriving in the UK

      However, if you availed of the Creative Worker Visa concession, you will not be eligible to enter the UK.

      After you switch, you may stay for a maximum of 12 months.

      Can you bring dependents on this visa?

      Yes, it is possible for visa holders to bring their dependents with them to the UK.

      Your partner and children may join you by submitting separate applications.

      A dependent partner or child can include one of the following:

      • Your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
      • Your child aged under 18 years old
      • Your child aged over 18 years old (if they are your dependent)

      You must demonstrate that you are in a committed relationship with your partner (if unmarried), including cohabiting for the two years prior to your application.

      If your dependent child is aged over 16 years, they must live with you (unless at school), must not be married, and they must depend on you for financial support.

      How much does the visa cost?

      The visa application fee is £244 for the main applicant and any dependents.

      The cost is the same whether you apply from inside the UK or outside.

      As the primary applicant, you may be eligible for a £55 discount if you are from one of the following countries:

      Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, or Turkey.

      Maintenance costs

      A condition of the Creative Worker Visa is that you have sufficient finances to maintain yourself. This means you must have at least £1,270 available to you in the 28 days preceding your visa application.

      Your dependent partner and child will need to demonstrate that they have adequate finances to support themselves while living with you in the UK.

      They should demonstrate that they have:

      • £285 for your partner/ spouse
      • £315 for the first dependent child
      • £200 for each additional child
      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + FREE Consultation Contact Us

                Fill out the form

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                You can apply for a UK Creative Worker Visa in the UK if you are an eligible creative worker. Here are the steps to applying:

                1. You must obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK-based employer
                2. Your UK-based sponsor must hold a valid sponsor licence
                3. After you obtain your certificate (a unique identifying number) you should gather your supporting documents to demonstrate your eligibility for the role
                4. You must meet minimum financial requirements (£945) and also pay the application fee (£244) and healthcare surcharge (£624 per year)
                5. Finally, you should submit your application online at the uk website

                The Tier 5 Creative and Sporting Visa route was cancelled by the UK government in 2020 and replaced with the Temporary Work – Creative Worker Visa.

                The visa now only covers creative workers. A new route has replaced the sportsperson route (International Sportsperson Visa).

                The temporary work visas are designed to be a flexible and often less expensive option for international workers to come to the UK for a time-limited period to perform a specific function.

                If you are an international model who wants to work in the UK, you will likely need to apply for a visa, even if you are undertaking short-term work.

                An exception is if you were an EU or EEA citizen who applied for settled or pre-settled status prior to 30th June 2021.

                Below are the steps involved in models obtaining a visa to work in the UK:

                • To work in the UK, models must obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from an eligible UK employer. This employer must hold a valid sponsor licence
                • Models are required to have evidence of a pre-booked engagement when applying for their visa. This must be at least be paid at the rate of the national minimum wage
                • The sponsor must assess the model against the four categories of model
                • The model will be required to submit different information depending on their role categorisation
                • Models must demonstrate that they can meet six eligibility criteria (outlined below) by scoring at least 65% across the criteria
                • A panel will be required to endorse a model who does not fall into one of the four model categories
                • The model may submit their visa application online under the Temporary Work – Creative Worker Visa route and wait for a decision from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) or under the Permitted Paid Engagement route

                The four categories of model under UK immigration rules include:

                • Top models
                • Commercial models
                • Models required for continuity
                • New faces

                The six eligibility criteria models will be judged against include:

                1. BFC or BFMA recognised agency
                2. Previously issued a Certificate of Sponsorship
                3. Pre-booked engagement or offer of work
                4. Experience of walking on an international circuit
                5. Demonstrable earning power
                6. Recognised test, casting, or interview

                Further information can be found on the British Fashion Council’s visa guide page.