Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews

Hong Kong British National Overseas Visa

A new immigration route in the UK has opened for Hong Kong nationals with British National Overseas status.

If you are a British Overseas citizen living in Hong Kong, then you could be eligible. Find out more today by calling our team of expert immigration lawyers on 0333 305 9375.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    The Hong Kong BN(O)Visa

    The Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa is a new UK visa route that opened in January 2021. The new path is available for all British national living overseas. The visa route allows British National Overseas citizens in Hong Kong to come to live, study or work in the UK. Successful applicants can also bring certain family members with them to the UK.

    You can either apply for a 2 year and 6 months BNO Visa or a five year visa. The visa also acts as a route to settlement for overseas nationals in Hong Kong. After 5 years of lawful residence in the UK BNO visa holders will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. It also acts as a route to British citizenship, which can be applied for after holding ILR for at least 12 months.

    Applications can be made from both within the UK and outside of the UK.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo

    All Hong Kong British National Overseas citizens who are over the age of 18 are able to apply for this visa route.

    British National Overseas (BNO) citizenship is a type of British nationality that was created by the UK government in 1985 that people in Hong Kong could apply for before the 1997 handover to China, this was to enable them to retain a link with the UK. The status cannot be passed down to family members and prior to the launch of the new BNO Visa means that Hong Kong BNO citizens could only visit the UK for up to 6 months without a visa.

    There are around 2.9 million people who have British National Overseas citizenship in Hong Kong who can be eligible for the visa and their family members can also be eligible to join them.

    It’s worth noting that to be able to apply, your permanent home must either be in Hong Kong, if you’re applying from outside the UK, or in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong if you’re applying whilst in the UK.

    Applications officially opened in January 2021. You do not need a valid BN(O) passport to apply. However, if you already hold one (including expired documents) you can submit it along with your bundle of supporting documents.

    All applicants will need a valid travel document. Hong Kong nationals can use the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport to enter the United Kingdom.

    Applying and travelling with your family members

    You can include in your BNO Vita application certain family members who normally live with you. This includes the following categories:

    • Spousecivil partner, or unmarried partner
    • Your children or grandchildren under the age of 18
    • Adult children born on or after 1st July 1997 (and their spouse and children under the age of 18) if they live with you and are dependent on you for their care
    • Other family members (grandparents, parents, siblings) in exceptional circumstances

    Partners applying to join applicants on a British National Overseas Visa must be over the age of 18 and the partner of either the BNO citizen or the partner of the BNO citizens adult child. During the application they will need to prove that they are either in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK or in a serious relationship and have been living with their partner for at least 2 years.

    To join you in the UK, each family member will need to make their own application as your dependent. As the applicant with BN(O) status, you will need to submit your application first to get an application number, this is known as Unique Application Number (UAN). Then, any family members will need to use this application number when they apply as a dependent. Your family members must submit their applications within two days of you submitting your own application.

    What can I and can't I do on a BN(O) Visa?

    You can live, work and study in the UK whilst in the country on a BN(O) Visa however there are some restrictions. You cannot work in the UK as a professional sportsperson or sports coach and you usually will not be able to claim any public funds whilst in country.

    In some circumstances, however, BN(O) visa holders may be able to apply for benefits, this includes if you:

    • Don’t have a place to live and cannot afford one
    • Dave a place to live but cannot afford essential living costs like food or heating
    • Are at risk of losing your home or being unable to afford essential living costs
    • Have a very low income, and not having access to benefits would harm your child’s wellbeing

    UK Border

    BNO Visa financial requirements

    To be eligible for a BN(O) visa you must demonstrate that you can accommodate and provide financial support to yourself and your family for at least 6 months once in the UK. This can include you or your family member’s income and savings, money you will earn from a current job in the UK, or an offer for help from family and friends.

    As evidence of your circumstances, you must provide the following supporting documents:

    • Bank statements
    • Written statements from friends or family offering financial support or accommodation

    All documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.

    As well as money to prove that you can afford housing costs, you will also need to show that you have access to the same amount of money that someone in the UK on Income Support would normally receive. How much you will need depends on whether family members are also applying with you and how many of them there will be.

    You’ll need about:

    • £2,000 as a single adult
    • £3,100 as a couple with a child
    • £4,600 as a couple with 3 children
    • £9,200 as a couple with 2 parents and 2 adult children

    Do you need help with your BNO Visa application, our lawyers are here for you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      Do you need any help with your application?

      IAS is the leading immigration services provider in the UK. Our team of professional immigration lawyers are committed to helping all our clients by offering excellent and bespoke advice.

      The BN(O) visa is a new immigration route, meaning that the application may seem complex and confusing. Our lawyers are trained in all the latest updates to UK immigration law and know exactly what it takes for a successful application.

      If you wish to receive professional assistance with your BNO application, one of our OISC-accredited immigration lawyers in London will be happy to help you through each step of the application process. Your lawyer can assess your eligibility, help you to fill in the application form and can assist you with gathering all of the documents that you will require.

      Call us today on 0333 305 9375 or enquire through our livechat to find out more about our excellent immigration services.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                The BNO Visa application costs £180 if you’re applying for 2 years and 6 months or £250 if you’re applying for five years. As well as the application fee, you may need to attend an appointment to have our biometric information taken, this costs £19.20.

                You will also be requited to pay the healthcare surcharge, this is so that you can use the NHS.

                For each adult (18 or older) it costs:

                • £1,560 if you’re staying for two years and six months
                • £3,120 if you’re staying for five years

                For each child (under 18), it costs:

                • £1,175 if you’re staying for two years and six months
                • £2,350 if you’re staying for five years

                BN(O) status is a nationality status for British nationals who live overseas. The Hong Kong BN(O) status was created in 1985 prior to the hand over to china in 1997. To get this status, Hong Kong nationals had to apply prior to 1 July 1997.

                There are around 2.9 million Hong Kong nationals with BN(O) status and both them and their relatives can be eligible for the BNO Visa.

                Yes, the BNO visa to allow you to study whilst you are in the UK. This can be at a number of educational institutions including colleges and universities.

                You can apply to settle in the UK after you have lived in the country for at least 5 years on a BNO visa. Being granted settlement will allow you to live work and study in the United Kingdom permanently. You can also apply for citizenship 12 months after you receive ILR.