Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 8 pm

Find an office

21 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 7.30 am to 10 pm.
4.7 rating 423 reviews
Skilled Worker Visa

Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. This permit allows eligible applicants to stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved sponsor/employer.

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

What is the Skilled Migrant Worker?

The Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. This permit allows eligible applicants to stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved sponsor/employer.

If you or your close family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, and you started living in the UK before 1st January 2021, you can apply for the free EU Settlement Scheme. This means that you would not need to get a visa to work in the UK. Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme or a visa.

If you are a skilled worker and you want to enter the UK to do a specialized job, you can seek the help of IAS immigration lawyers. Call us on 0333 305 3750 to speak with our team.

Skilled Worker visa eligibility

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  • Work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office as qualified sponsor
  • Hold a Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer, with all the details about your role
  • Have been offered a job which is on the list of eligible occupations
  • Be paid a minimum salary, which depends on the type of work you are going to do in the UK.
  • Confirm the job offer before you submit your visa application.
  • Be able to prove adequate English proficiency.

Job eligibility

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker Visa, you should receive a job offer from a UK employer which must meet all the following requirements:

  • The job must be eligible for the visa
  • You must be paid the minimum salary or “going rate” for the type of work you will be doing. The minimum salary is at least £25,600 per year.
  • Your employer must have been approved by the Home Office and hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship
  • You must hold an occupation code. If you have already received a job offer, you must ask your employer for your code.

Skilled Worker visa application fees

The Skilled Worker visa application fees range from £610 to £1,408, depending on your circumstances.

When applying for your visa, you also need to take the following expenses into account:

  • Healthcare surcharge – £624 per year
  • You must have at least £1,270 available to demonstrate that you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK. You might be exempt if you have already been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months, or if the employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK.

Applying with your family

Your partner and children can apply to join you in the UK provided that they are eligible as your dependants. You can include the following members of your family in your application:

  • Your husband or wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
  • Your children under 18
  • Your children over 18 if they are already staying in the UK as your dependants and are not married.

When submitting your application, you must provide evidence of your relationship.

How to extend your Skilled Worker visa

Your Skilled Worker visa is due to expire after a certain number of years, depending on your circumstances. You can apply to extend your permit if you meet the following requirements:

  • You have the same job as when you were first granted your visa
  • Your job is in the same occupation code as when you were given permission to enter the UK
  • You are still working for the same employer who sponsored your current application.

Your family can apply for a visa extension, but they will need to submit a separate application.

If you hold a Tier 2 Visa

If you got CoS before 24th November 2016

If you have already applied to extend your visa before 24 May 2023, your minimum salary requirement is fixed at a lower rate. This means that you need to be paid at least £20,800 per year.

If you got your CoS on or after 24th November 2016

If you apply to extend your visa before 1st December 2026, you need to meet the new salary requirements. Your salary may also include allowances, if they are guaranteed for the length of your stay.

If you need support with your Skilled Worker Visa application, contact our offices in London, Manchester, or Birmingham, or use our office finder to find your closest office.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 423 reviews Logo
Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can submit your UK visa application up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date can be found in your certificate of sponsorship.

Depending on your circumstances, the Home Office may need extra time to review your documents and prove your identity. For this reason, you should always allow extra time and submit your application in time.

It usually takes about 3 weeks to receive a decision from the Home Office if you are outside the UK. If you are already living in this country, you may need to wait up to 8 weeks.

As a Skilled Worker visa holder, you can:

  • Work and study in the UK
  • Bring your family (your partner and your children) if they are eligible for a dependant visa
  • Do voluntary work or take on additional work (in certain circumstances)
  • Apply to settle in the UK after 5 years of lawful residence in this country.

What you cannot do:

  • Change job or employer, unless you submit an updated visa application
  • Apply for public funds, benefits, or the State Pension

You need to be paid at least £25,600 per year, unless the “going rate” for your job is higher. Depending on your occupation code, your role might have an annual going rate, which you and your employer can check online.

Different salary rules apply for those working in healthcare or education jobs.