An application for EEA Permanent Residence can be made if you are an EU citizen residing in the UK.  Permanent Residence is a status granted to EEA citizens under European law which allows them to live and work in the UK, permanently. It is different to Indefinite Leave to Remain, which is granted to citizens who are subject to UK immigration law.

An EEA application for Permanent Residence can be submitted once you have spent five years’ continuous residence in the UK. You will also need to show that you have been exercising your Treaty Rights for those five years. You have been exercising your rights if you have working or studying during your stay.

There are other requirements related to how you have been spending your time in the UK, such as health insurance for students at UK universities.

How can IAS help?

Our team of dedicated lawyers can answer all the questions you have on your application for EEA Permanent Residence. We can help you find out if you are eligible to apply, help prepare your documents and advise you on your best options after Brexit.

Our services include liaising with the Home Office and completing your application form to the highest standard. One of our lawyers will also prepare a personalised Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This outlines your case and references relevant UK immigration laws which help to support your application.

As EU laws are in a constant state of flux, we will also monitor current EU legislature. This will ensure that your application is up-to-date. Contact us now on 0333 363 8577 or use our online contact form to speak with an immigration lawyer who can help you with your application for EEA Permanent Residence.

Please see our FAQs below for more information.


Am I eligible to apply for Permanent Residence?

The requirements for an EEA application will depend on how you have spent your time in the UK, as well as how long you have been here.

Usually, you will have to show that you have spent the majority of the past five years in the country. Your application may be at risk if you have spent time out of the UK which exceeds the residence requirement.

Please visit our Permanent Residence page for more information on the application requirements for PR.

How do I apply for Permanent Residence?

There are two ways to apply for Permanent Residence, either by using the 85-page form or by completing the online application.

The online application form is not suitable for everyone. If any of the following factors apply to you, you will not be able to use the online form:

  • You are a family member of a qualifying EEA national (your sponsor) and you are not applying at the same time as them
  • You are a student or self-sufficient person who is financially responsible for any other family member
  • You are student or self-sufficient who is financially reliant on family members for financial support
  • You are applying on the basis of retained rights
  • You are applying under the Surinder Singh category

What are the benefits of using the online system to apply for Permanent Residence?

Unlike the paper version of the EEA PR application, the online form will only ask you questions which are relevant to you. This structure means that you have to answer all of the questions before you proceed, so you should make sure you have all of the required information and documents before you start the application for Permanent Residence.

The other benefit of this method is that your local authority can check your passport and give it back to you using the European Passport Return Service. In order to use this service, you will need to attend an appointment within five days of submitting the application, so you should book the appointment first and then submit your application in line with this date.

What do I need before making my EEA application?

Before starting your application for Permanent Residence, you should gather documents that prove you have been living in the UK. You will need to be able to provide details of what you have been doing in the UK.

This might include details of paid work, information about your job search, or bank statements to show your income. You should gather other documents that will help to prove you have been ordinarily resident in the UK. This might include council tax documents, utility bills, bank statements or NHS correspondence.

You will also need proof of identification, such as a passport or national identity card. You might also need birth certificates, adoption certificates, marriage certificates or any other documents which will prove your relationship to others.

What if I do not have my identification document?

If you have lost your identification documents, you will need to explain this sufficiently in your application for Permanent Residence. You will also need to find a way to prove your identity. If you have lost your passport, for example, you will find it easier to get a replacement from your country of origin rather than trying to prove your identity without it.

How do I send my biometric information?

As part of your application for Permanent Residence, you will be required to send your biometric information, similar to that required for a passport. This is simply your fingerprints, a digital photograph and your signature.

You can do this at certain post office branches and it costs £19.20.

This applies to all applications for Permanent Residence. Children under the age of six will not be required to give their fingerprints or signature, but they will need a digital photograph for their application.

What if I have not been living in the UK for over five years?

If you have been living in the UK for less than five years, you can apply for an EEA Residence Card. This is not necessary in order to live or work in the UK, but some people are choosing to apply for these cards in order to secure their position during the Brexit negotiations.

The EEA Residence Card is valid for five years, after which you may apply for Permanent Residence.

What if there is a mistake on my card?

If you notice a mistake on your Permanent Residence Card, it is important that you inform the Home Office as soon as possible. You should send an email to [email protected] and include the following information:

  • Your full name, date of birth and nationality
  • Your passport number
  • Your case reference number
  • A contact telephone number
  • Your delivery address
  • Details of exactly what information is wrong

How will Brexit impact my application?

After Brexit, a set of new regulations will be put into place which may require all new EEA nationals to obtain an EEA Permanent Residence under a new set of guidelines.

If you require more specific information regarding your personal situation and circumstance you are advised to contact IAS, who have a team of highly-trained lawyers on hand to offer you tailored advice.

What services does IAS offer?

With Brexit negotiations currently underway, many are feeling worried about what their rights as EEA nationals will be if residing or working in the UK following Britain’s exit from the EU.

At IAS, we have a team of expert lawyers who will be able to answer any questions or concerns you have about Brexit, your status within the UK and your next steps. Their advice will be personally tailored to you and your situation and they are fully-equipped to assist and support you throughout your enquiry and application process.

We will check your eligibility and support you throughout your application for EEA Permanent Residence. Our services include:

  • ensuring your documents are satisfactory before making your application;
  • providing you with a Letter of Representation to support your application;
  • communicating with the Home Office until the end of the process; and
  • making sure that your application form is completed to the highest standard.

Contact us today using our online contact form or call us on 0333 363 8577 to speak with one of our specialist immigration lawyers, and take your first steps towards completing your application for EEA Permanent Residence.

Our Permanent Residence Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Marta: EEA PR

Marta is a Polish national who arrived in the UK to study four years ago and came close to fulfilling the requirements for Permanent Residency. However, she was unaware of… Read More

Melissa’s Daughter’s British Citizenship

Melissa and her child are Filipino nationals who came to the UK to join Melissa’s husband.
Complications with their initial application and insufficient information being provided resulted in her child’s… Read More

Ben finds employment whilst visiting the UK

Ben is a Brazilian national. While he was visiting the UK for business, he was offered a placement with a UK company.
He needed help as soon as possible and… Read More

Remy: Working in the UK

Remy was a French national living in the UK who had found employment in the UK.
However, his employer was unsure whether or not Remy was eligible to work in the… Read More

Daniel: Fiance Visa

Daniel was in a long-distance relationship with his partner, a Brazilian National. He proposed to her and wanted to bring her over to the UK but was unsure of his… Read More

Jennifer & Virginia: Civil Partner Visa

Jennifer was married to Virginia, a Ukrainian National. Jennifer wanted to start a new life with Virginia in the UK but was unsure of the immigration process and contacted IAS… Read More

Latest reviews

Really helpful to get advice on a relatively complex issue, and to have support whilst going through the visa application… Read More
Our visa was approved! We had Irfan Waheed and he was very thorough and always available to help. Very happy… Read More
IAS provide my the best immigration lawyer called Zeenat Karim. I was struggling to get my immigration satus in Uk.… Read More

Latest news

Child smuggling and trafficking: what are the signs and what is being done to stop it? Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Worcestershire Read More

Immigration Lawyers in Flintshire Read More