What are the UK Ancestry Visa requirements?
In order to qualify for a UK Ancestry Visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- be 17 or over;
- have enough money to support yourself without accessing public funds;
- plan to work in the UK; and
- be a citizen of the Commonwealth.
It is important to note that, even though Zimbabwe is no longer part of the Commonwealth, they are treated as such for the purposes of UK Ancestry applications. Zimbabwean nationals can successfully apply for UK Ancestry if they can satisfy the requirements of the UK Ancestry Visa.
You must also meet one of the following ancestry requirements:
- Have a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man;
- Have a grandparent born in what is now the Republic of Ireland on or before 31st March 1922; and
- Have a grandparent born on a British-registered ship or aircraft.
You can also claim an Ancestry Visa if you or your parent was adopted or was born within or outside marriage in the UK.
You cannot claim UK ancestry through your step-parents.