How to get British citizenship for a child born abroad
If British citizens living outside the UK have children out-of-country, the children will not automatically receive British Citizenship by descent. The ways for children to get British citizenship if they were born abroad outside the UK, is through adoption, naturalisation or (usually) registration. Parents can register a child as a British citizen through a simple process using the application form MN1.
A child must be registered as a British citizen before they can apply for a British passport. They must also be registered before they can enter the country. Registering as a British Citizen for a child born abroad can be done at any time before the child turns 18.
How can IAS help you get British citizenship for your child?
Our expert lawyers will use their wealth of experience to identify the correct route for your family. Registering your child as a British citizen can be a very complex process. Our services mean that your lawyer will completely manage your application and ensure that your child has the best chance of success.
Call 0333 363 8577 or contact us using our online enquiry form to begin your application for British Citizenship for your child born abroad.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
With our untimed Advice Session, our professional immigration lawyers will review your case and provide you with comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated caseworker will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your legal advisor will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
While different to Naturalisation, the application to register your child as a British citizen is still long and complex.
Your child will not need to fulfil most of the requirements of British Citizenship through naturalisation. They will not need to provide proof of English Language ability or pass a Life in the UK test.
You will, however, still need to provide:
- an extensive immigration history;
- reasons for wanting to apply;
- original documents, such as birth certificates and current passports; and
- biometric information (fingerprints and a photograph), this costs less than £20.
To ensure that your application is completed smoothly and within a reasonable timeframe, get in touch with the expert lawyers at IAS.
If your child was born outside of the UK, they may not automatically have received British Citizenship. If you are a British citizen, your child will be eligible to claim citizenship by descent. Unless your child returns to live in the UK, their children will not inherit the same rights.
Children born in the UK to citizens of the European Economic Area may be British citizens depending on when they were born. Children born:
- From 1 January 1983 to 2 October 2000 will be British citizens if either parent was living in the UK at the time;
- From 2 October 2000 to 29 April 2006 will only be British citizens if at least one parent had obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain or the unconditional right to permanent residence in the UK prior to the birth;
- On or after 30 April 2006 will be British citizens if at least one parent lived in the UK continuously for five years pursuant to their rights under European law prior to the birth.
Children born outside of the UK are only British Citizens by descent if one or both parents have British Citizenship at the time of birth. This means that your child will be eligible to register as a British Citizen but will not automatically be recognised as a citizen.
You will only be able to apply for a British passport for your child once they have been registered as a British citizen. Once you have received their certificate of registration, you will be able to apply for a British passport. This process will be the same as for other British citizens. It will include providing endorsed photographs, previous passports and a range of other documents.
For more information on how to apply for a British passport.
If your child has British Citizenship by descent, we are available to apply for registration as a British citizen. We offer a high-quality, comprehensive service that will give you the best chance for a successful result.
Our services include:
- Assessment of eligibility. We will identify the best route to getting your child registered as a British citizen.
- Full document check. We will ensure that your documents are sufficient before your application is submitted.
- Completion of all application forms. Your lawyer will complete all application forms to a professional standard.
- Letter of Representation. Your lawyer will submit this document with your application, referring to the merits of your case and relevant case law.
- Liaising with the Home Office. Your lawyer will maintain contact with the Home Office until a decision is reached.
For more information, or to start applying for British Citizenship for your child born abroad, contact us online or by calling 0333 363 8577 today.