Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Sportsperson Visa (T2)

If you are an international sportsperson or qualified coach, then you could be eligible for the UK Sportsperson Visa (T2) if you will be making a contribution to the development of your sport whilst in the country.

For more information about how to apply for a Sportsperson Visa to work in the United Kingdom, get in touch with our lawyers today on 0333 305 9375. 

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Sportsperson Visa UK

    A Sportsperson Visa is a type of UK Work Visa that is part of the points-based visa system. If you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach you may be able to work in a sporting role in the UK with a UK Sportsperson Visa. This visa is applicable if you are recognised by your sport’s governing body as being an elite member of your profession.

    This visa allows you to enter and live in the UK as a foreign national for a maximum of three years. This is provided you work within a role in which you will make an exceptional difference to your sport in the UK.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    What are the Sportsperson Visa UK requirements?

    The Sportsperson Visa is part of the UK’s points-based immigration system, to be eligible an applicant must score at least 70 points.

    You can score 50 points by getting a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to prove to the Home Office that you have a job offer in the UK. You will need to prove that the role you will be doing will make a significant contribution to the development of your sport and that you are:

    • An elite sportsperson or qualified coach
    • Recognised by your sport’s governing body as being internationally established at the highest level of your profession

    You must get your endorsement from your sports governing body and to be able to issue you a Certificate of Sponsorship they hold a sponsor licence to employ overseas workers.

    A further 10 points can be scored by meeting the English language requirements. Applicants for a sportsperson visa don’t have to meet the same English language requirements as applicants for other work visas. Instead of being able to pass an accredited English test at CEFR level B1, Sportspersons can be eligible as long as they pass at at least level A1.

    The final 10 points can be scored by meeting the maintenance requirements. You will need to prove that you can support yourself financially whilst in the UK. To do this you will need to show that you have had at least £1,270 in your bank account for a continuous period of at least 28 days within 31 days of applying for your visa.

    What can I do whilst in the UK on a Sportsperson Visa?

    The Sportsperson Visa allows you to work in the UK in the job described on your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). As well as this you can also:

    • Take on a second job in certain circumstances
    • Play for your national team in the UK
    • Work as a sports broadcaster
    • Do voluntary work
    • Study, as long as it does not interfere with the job on your CoS
    • Travel abroad and return to the UK

    This visa also allows you to bring your family members with you to the UK. The dependents that you can bring with you include your partner and any children that are eligible.

    Whilst the Sportsperson Visa does open up many opportunities in the UK, there are some limitations. You cannot access public funds whilst you are here and you also cannot start or run a business or apply for a second job until you have started working for your sponsor.

    How can IAS help with your UK Sports Visa application?

    You can apply for a visa to work as a Sportsperson in the United Kingdom up to 3 months before you intend to travel here. The application process can be complicated, as well as filling in the application form you will need to be able to prove to the Home Office that you can meet all of the eligibility requirements. To do this, you will need to provide a substantia portfolio of supporting documents.

    Our expert immigration lawyers have decades of experience and are trained in all areas of immigration law. They can help you understand if you are eligible for a Sportsperson Visa and can offer professional immigration advice about all of the options available to you. Our lawyers can arrange and organise your Certificate of Sponsorship and liaise with your UK Sponsor and Sport’s Governing Body. Our services also include thorough document checks and the completion of your application form.

    Call us on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to arrange a consultation with one of our immigration lawyers on your UK Sports Visa. We have offices in LondonManchester, and Birmingham, or you can use our office finder to find your closest branch.

    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

      Fill out the form

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Appeal Package

            We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.

              Frequently Asked Questions

              Yes, you can apply to extend your Sportsperson Visa providing that you still meet the eligibility requirements. You will need to renew your endorsement from your Sport’s governing body and will also need a new Certificate of Sponsorship. If you do wish to extend your visa, you will need to apply before your current visa expires. If your application is successful, you will be able to continue to work in the UK for another 3 years and 14 days.

              After this extension, you must leave the UK. You can only apply for the Sportsperson Visa again if you will have an annual salary of at least £35,800. However, if you have lived in the UK continuously for 5 years or more and would like to stay, you could be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain. To find out whether you could be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain, speak with our immigration lawyers today.

              Yes – you can work or do voluntary work for a second employer while in the UK on a Sportsperson Visa. However, this work cannot impact your role as a sportsperson and you must not begin this job until you have begun working for your registered sponsor.

              Our team of expert immigration lawyers can help you find out if you are eligible for a Sportsperson Visa.

              Our services include:

              • approving your documents as sufficient before beginning your application;
              • providing you with a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter gives details on the merits of your case and includes relevant UK immigration laws in support of your application;
              • mediating with the Home Office during your application process;
              • arranging and liaising with your UK sport’s governing body;
              • obtaining your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
              • completing your application using the correct forms to the highest standard.

              Contact one of our immigration advisers using our online enquiry form or by calling 0333 363 8577 now for tailored information on your enquiry and application for a UK Sportsperson Visa.