Spouse Visa Extension

Call 0333 363 8577 for a free consultation

If you are currently living in the UK on a Spouse or Civil Partner Visa, you can apply for a UK spouse visa extension after 30 months.  You can do this by submitting an FLR (M) form application to the Home Office.

In order to be eligible for a Spouse Visa Extension, you will need to ensure that you still meet the same requirements that you met when you were granted your original Spouse Visa. The Spouse Visa requirements are strict and your extension application may require you to show such changes as an improvement in English language skill.

How can IAS help?

Contact us today on 0333 363 8577 or use our online enquiry form to speak with a qualified immigration lawyer who can help you with your UK Spouse Visa extension. Your personal lawyer will make sure your application meets the standard expected for a renewal of your Spouse or Partner Visa.


What are the Spouse Visa extension requirements?

In order to extend your Spouse Visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • you are in a genuine relationship and intend to continue living together;
  • you meet the suitability requirements, which relates to your character and conduct, and your previous immigration history;
  • you meet the immigration status requirement, which means you have to be in the UK lawfully;
  • you meet the financial requirement set out in the Marriage Visa UK requirements; and
  • you meet the English Language requirements.

What are the Spouse Visa language requirements?

Changes to the Home Office Immigration Rules mean that some people who did not originally have to meet the English Language requirement in their application for a Spouse Visa may now have to satisfy this part of the application in order for their Spouse Visa renewal to be approved. This affects any applicants whose “leave to remain as a partner” expired on or after 1st May 2017.

What if my UK Spouse Visa renewal isn’t successful?

If you make a UK spouse visa extension application that is unsuccessful for any reason, you will have 14 days from the date you received your decision letter to appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.

If you submit an appeal after this deadline of 14 days, you will need to explain why your appeal was late.

It will then be down to the First Tier Tribunal to decide if they will hear your case.

We have a number of lawyers with specialist experience in appealing to the First Tier Tribunal. If you need help with your appeal, get in touch with us today.

What services does IAS offer?

If you are submitting a Spouse Visa extension application and have any doubts about any part of the process, it is important to get expert advice. Our immigration lawyers are here to help guide and advise you.

Our services include:

  • checking your documents to ensure that they are sufficient for your application;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • liaising with the Home Office during your application process;
  • completing each part of your application form to the highest standard.

Our immigration lawyers can also assist you if your UK Spouse Visa renewal is refused by the Home Office. We can guide you through the appeal process and, if you are taking your appeal to a First Tier Tribunal hearing, we can arrange for you to be represented by one of our expert immigration lawyers.

Call us on 0333 363 8577 or use our online contact form today.

Our Spouse Visa Extension Packages

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals


Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as successful, smooth and stress-free as possible


Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline


Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any hearings/tribunals


A few of

our experienced

immigration lawyers

Case studies

We are proud to have changed lives for the better. Here are some of their stories:

Shinya: Tier 2 Work Visa Application Assistance

Shinya, a Japanese National, was offered a placement in a UK based company. The company already held a Sponsorship Licence and was able to give Shinya a Certificate of… Read More

Working in the UK after Brexit

Gosia, an EEA national, wanted to tour the UK while seeking work, however, she was unsure if she was permitted to do so.
Gosia contacted IAS and arranged a… Read More

Yuma: Tier 4 Student Visa

Yuma, a Japanese National, was accepted as a student in her chosen UK university. She was unclear about the process of coming over to the UK so she contacted… Read More

Jaibao: Family Visits to the UK

Jiabao was worried her family from Hong Kong would not be able to attend her wedding in the UK. However, after she contacted IAS and had a Skype advice session… Read More

Gwen’s Ancestry Visa

Gwen was a recent graduate looking to emigrate to the UK. She arranged an advice session over the phone and was advised to submit an Ancestry Visa application. Her lawyer… Read More

Sherif: Tier 1 Investor Visa

Sherif was a UAE national who had been making large investments in the UK. He contacted IAS and the lawyer he spoke to looked at his circumstances and determined that… Read More

Latest reviews

Nasreen Ali is excellent. She helped me beyond any words can describe to get my indefinite leave to remain. My… Read More
IAS took me through the whole process of getting my residence visa. Jean Paul handled my entire case and he… Read More
Seridne M
Brilliant service and very friendly helpful staff. I have received my letter for my ceremony and it took me only… Read More

Latest news

Home Office opens Tier 1 Exceptional Talent route for architects Read More

UK Spouse Visa Document Checklist Read More