Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Spouse Visa to ILR

If you hold a Spouse Visa, you could be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

Call us on 0333 305 9375 for immediate help & assistance with your situation. We’re here to help you in person, via the phone or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    ILR Spouse visa

    If you are a non-EEA or Swiss national, you can gain the right to remain in the UK by marrying a British Citizen, or a person with settled status in the UK. If you do this, you will be granted a Spouse Visa. Once you are living in the UK with your spouse or partner, you may wish to make your position more permanent. You can achieve this by gaining ILR from a Spouse Visa. ILR, or, Indefinite Leave to Remain, allows you to settle in the UK permanently without being tied down by immigration rules.

    The initial grant of leave for a Spouse Visa is two and a half years. When this period has come to a close, you may choose to extend your Spouse Visa for another two and a half years, assuming you meet the current requirements laid out by the Home Office. At the end of the extension period, you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You should consider applying for ILR before your Spouse visa expires.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers can help you with everything you need to know if you want to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Call our team of advisors today on 0333 305 9375.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Requirements to apply for ILR on a Spouse Visa

    The specific requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain after holding a Spouse visa vary slightly depending on whether you are on a five or ten-year route to being granted ILR. However, overall, the main requirements are very similar.

    To be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain while holding a Spouse Visa under the five-year route, you must:

    • Still be in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your partner;
    • Meet the financial requirements;
    • Demonstrate that you and your partner have suitable accommodation for your family;
    • Have had leave to remain as a partner for 60 months;
    • Meet the English and Life in the UK requirements.

    Genuine and subsisting relationship requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain

    When applying for a Spouse Visa, you and your partner need to show that you are in a genuine relationship.

    After your eligible period spent on a Spouse Visa and now wish to move from Spouse visa to ILR, the Home Office will review your circumstances before granting Indefinite Leave to Remain. This means that you must still reside together with your partner, and you must be able to demonstrate that your relationship is still subsisting.

    There are a few ways you can prove a genuine relationship to the Home Office in support of ILR spouse visa, these include:

    • Co-habitation
    • A long-term relationship- including marriage or civil partnership
    • Children- with a shared responsibility of their care
    • Shared financial responsibilities
    • Future plans in place

    Spouse Visa to ILR financial requirement

    To obtain leave to remain in the UK on a Spouse Visa, you and your partner must prove a level of finances of £18,600, meeting the minimum income threshold. However, if you are applying with your dependant, you should consider an additional £3,800 for the first child, and then an additional £2,400 for each additional dependent child. You can prove you meet the ILR financial requirements in cash savings also.

    To meet the minimum income threshold for the Spouse visa to ILR route, you can rely on:

    • Income from salaried employment and self-employment;
    • Cash savings over £16,000 held for at least six months, in any currency, by you and your partner;
    • Non-employment income, such as income from property rental, investments, shares, and stocks;
    • Maternity allowances or other benefits received in the UK.

    Absence for ILR Spouse visa applications

    Based on UK immigration law, there is no specific number of maximum absences for those applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain from a Spouse Visa.

    However, if you are applying to settle in the UK from any other Point-based visa, your absences should not exceed 6 months in any 12 months. Nevertheless, if you have spent the majority of your time abroad, the Home Office may doubt the genuineness of your application, and refuse your case.

    To have your circumstances professionally reviewed by an expert UK immigration lawyer, or to receive help with your Indefinite Leave to Remain application, you can get in touch with IAS. One of our immigration solicitors will be happy to help you.

    Accommodation requirements for ILR

    The adequate accommodation criteria for getting Indefinite Leave to Remain from a Spouse Visa is almost identical to the initial partner visa application.

    This means that you and your partner need to show that you have proper accommodation available for you and your family.

    Your house must not contravene “public health regulations”, and have enough rooms for all the members of your family.

    English language requirements for ILR Spouse visa

    To be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Spouse visa holder from a Spouse visa, you must be able to prove your knowledge of the English language by taking a secure English language test to at least level B1. You can take any of the following tests:

    • Integrated Skill in English test
    • Graded examinations in Spoken English
    • IELTS Life Skills certificate
    • IELTS certificate

    These tests can be taken with test providers such as Trinity College, London.

    As part of your Spouse visa ILR application, you must provide a test pass certificate with your required documentation.

    You may not need to take the test if you are from a majority English speaking country.

    Life in the UK test

    A further requirement to be granted ILR as a Spouse visa holder is that you pass the Life in the UK test.

    The Life in the UK test is a test consisting of questions about British life and customs. With the test candidate being required to score at least 75% to be graded with a UK test pass.

    There are some instances where a person may not be required to take the Life in the UK test. These include:

    • The person is under the age of 18 years old
    • The person is aged 65 years old or over
    • They have passed the test before settling in the UK
    • They have a long-term physical or mental condition- if you do have a physical or mental condition that may stop you from taking the test, you may need proof from your doctor

    If you take the test and pass, you will be issued with a pass certificate which will act as evidence to support your ILR application.

    How much does it cost to submit an ILR application?

    The standard fee for submitting an ILR application as a Spouse visa holder is £2,404 per applicant. In addition to this, it will cost £50 to sit the Life in the UK test. It is important to note that should your ILR application be rejected or should you fail the Life in the UK test, you will not be refunded for either.

    If you require a faster decision to be made on your ILR application, you can opt for a super priority service, which will speed up the application process accordingly. This comes at an additional cost of £1800 per ILR application submitted for consideration.

    Can ILR after a Spouse visa lead to British citizenship?

    One of the biggest advantages of ILR status is that it acts as the ideal prerequisite to British citizenship. Becoming a British citizen entitles you to live freely from immigration control just like ILR. It also allows you to apply for a British passport. There are many benefits to becoming a British citizen- it can offer great peace of mind to those who wish to reside permanently with their spouse in the UK.

    Becoming a British citizen by acquiring British citizenship comes with its own set of eligibility criteria which should be checked carefully.

    If you need help understanding if you are eligible to become a British citizen, you can get in touch with our lawyers for expert immigration advice today.

    How long is ILR processing?

    The standard processing time for an Indefinite Leave to Remain application is around 6 months. Whilst this is a lengthy application process, you can opt for a decision to be made quicker on your behalf using the application priority service- this comes at an additional cost 0f £800 per application.

    The 6-month timescale is just an estimate and the application process can often be quicker if you have put forward a straightforward case to the UKVI.

    In slightly more complex cases, the UKVI may need to reach out to you for additional evidence or documentation. If this is the case, you should ensure you present the requested documents in a timely manner to avoid delays. Failure to do so can result in your Indefinite Leave to Remain application being rejected completely.

    Documents required to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as a Spouse

    The supporting documentation must be provided for ILR applications in various ways. Documentation must be submitted for you and any dependents who apply. The documents required include:

    • A passport or other valid travel document
    • Information outlining and explaining any periods of absence from the UK
    • Proof of your English language test at a pass level
    • A test evidence pass certificate from the Life in the UK test
    • A Biometric Residence Permit (only if you were issued one)
    • Accommodation details
    • Complete indefinite leave to remain application form for Spouse (Set M)

    All of the documents supplied should be original copies and not photocopies. If they aren’t already, your documents will need to be translated into either English or Welsh for inspection by the Home Office.

    Will a divorce affect my ILR Spouse visa?

    If you and your spouse at the time of your Spouse visa application decide to get a divorce, then your permission to stay in the UK on your Spouse visa is likely to be affected.

    If divorce proceedings go ahead, you must immediately notify the Home Office of your change in your personal circumstances from when you submitted your Spouse visa application. The same conditions apply to those who are a Spouse as part of a Family visa or a dependent visa.

    If you already have 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, you can go ahead and proceed to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain as you may have planned to, living an independent life. However, if this is not the case, you may need to apply for another visa in place of your previous Spouse visa. Alternatively, if you are classed as a responsible parent for a child you have had with your partner, you can apply for a visa using this circumstance- provided that the child has lived in the UK for a minimum of 7 years and is deemed a British citizen or has settled status.

    ILR application rejected

    Having your ILR refused can be devastating, but it is important to know that you can act on this.

    Should your ILR get refused, you can submit a new ILR application that clearly addresses the grounds for refusal. This gives the Home Office the chance to review your request and reconsider.

    There are multiple common grounds for refusal, which include: excessive absences, immigration breaches, failure to disclose debt, criminal convictions, failing the English language test, or, any other adverse behaviour.

    You can seek immigration advice from a trained lawyer should your application be refused.

    Can I still apply for ILR with a criminal record?

    You may still be able to apply for ILR with a criminal record, but you must disclose all spent and unspent criminal convictions on your ILR application.

    Failure to disclose these will result in your ILR application being rejected.

    For more information on how to correctly disclose these convictions to the Home Office, you should contact a trained immigration lawyer for more advice and guidance.

    How can Immigration Advice Service help?

    At IAS, we are committed to helping all couples who wish to settle in the UK.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assess your eligibility for ILR, gather and check your supporting documents and help with completing your application form to the highest standard.

    Your immigration lawyers will also write a Letter of Representation to accompany your application form. This letter provides the Home Office with information on your case and its merits and will reference relevant UK immigration laws which strengthen your application. We will also make sure you meet all the necessary requirements by preparing you for your ‘Life in the UK’ test and IELTS test. With the IAS, you will give yourself the greatest possible chance of receiving ILR status.

    To talk to our team about help from one of our professional immigration lawyers, call us today on 0333 305 9375.

    Advice Package icon

    Advice Package

    Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

    Application Package icon

    Application Package

    We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

    Fast Track Package icon

    Fast Track Package

    Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

    Appeal Package icon

    Appeal Package

    Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

    Advice Package image

    The Advice Package

    With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

      Fill out the form

      Request the Advice Package
      Application Package image

      The Application Package

      Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Application Package
        Fast Track Package image

        The Fast Track Package

        Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Fast Track Package
          Appeal Package image

          The Appeal Package

          Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Appeal Package

            We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Related pages for your continued reading.

              Frequently Asked Questions

              The Indefinite Leave to Remain after a five-year period is usually granted to those on a Spouse Visa assuming the following:

              • Minimum income requirement of £18,600 (rising with every child dependent) is met
              • No immigration law in the UK or abroad has been broken
              • The applicant has passed ‘Life in the UK’ test and the English Language Test
              • The applicant can supply Biometric Resident information

              Read more about the ILR requirements here. It must be noted that these conditions may change if you currently hold a permit different from the Spouse Visa. For example, Tier 2 General visa holders must meet specific financial conditions.

              If you are a non-EEA or Swiss national and you marry a British Citizen, or a person with settled status in the UK, you will be eligible to apply for a Spouse Visa.

              It is important to note, however, that the Home Office are very strict with visas for spouses. They are trained to spot cases of marriage fraud or ‘sham marriages’ and a Spouse Visa application requires a great deal of evidence to prove your relationship or marriage is genuine.

              Read more about Spouse Visas and other Partner Visas.

              After Indefinite Leave to Remain has been granted you will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship by marriage. This process is called British Naturalisation.

              Read more about British Citizenship or British Naturalisation.

              If you wish to get Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, the minimum English proficiency required is B1 CEFR. You can satisfy this requirement by either:

              • Passing an accredited English language test
              • Being a national of a majority English speaking country
              • Holding a UK degree which was taught and researched in English.

              You can apply for ILR after the UK Spouse visa if you lived in the UK on a Spouse visa for at least 60 months or five years.

              Our expert lawyers can help you with your application for ILR from a Spouse Visa. We will work with you to ensure that your application is completed to the highest standard before it is submitted. Our services include:

              • assessing your eligibility for ILR;
              • gathering your documentation and looking for issues or gaps;
              • addressing any issues with your documentation;
              • completing your application to a professional standard;
              • having a lawyer prepare a Letter of Representation. This letter accompanies your application and provides details on your case and its merits. It will also reference any relevant UK immigration laws that support your application;
              • liaising with the Home Office where appropriate;
              • preparing you for your ‘Life in the UK’ test;
              • preparing you for your English Language test;
              • checking that you have enough evidence to prove your relationship is genuine to the Home Office.

              Contact IAS today on 0333 363 8577 or make an enquiry online to arrange a consultation with a qualified immigration lawyer.