Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

International Agreement Worker Visa

The purpose of this visa is to allow eligible international workers to enter the UK to undertake specific forms of work for a limited period of time.

Call IAS on 0333 305 3612 for immigration advice and support with your case. We are available to assist with all types of cases, regardless of the complexity.

We look forward to assisting you with your case.


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS For Your Work Visa

    Our team of immigration lawyers can provide the right support to ensure you secure a work visa for yourself or your employees.


    Your immigration lawyer will consider your case and offer bespoke advice, and they will advise you on the optimum route to take to achieve your desired result.

    By working with IAS for your or your employee’s work visa, you make sure that you have an expert eye and hands on your case to boost your chances of success.

    We ensure you are applying for the most suitable work visa to boost your chances of success.

    We provide advice on the appropriate documentary evidence required to support your case.

    You get a personalised approach from a qualified and experienced immigration lawyer

    You work with you and liaise with the Home Office on your behalf to ensure the best possible outcome.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Services we Provide

    How to get an International Agreement Worker Visa

    You may be eligible for an International Agreement Worker Visa if one of the following applies to your situation:

    • You are being contracted to carry out work which is covered by an international law or treaty
    • You will be working on behalf of a foreign government
    • You will be working as a private servant/ member of a diplomatic household
    • You intend to provide a service under contract as a contractual service supplier or independent professional

    As well as these conditions, you must the other eligibility requirements of the International Agreement Worker Visa.

    This visa replaced the former Temporary Worker – International Agreement Worker Visa (T5). As part of the new points-based immigration system, this visa was established in December 2020.

    The agreement was established under international law and the UK is a signatory of this agreement.

    This page outlines how you can apply for this visa and other relevant considerations.

    Who Can Apply For The Temporary International Agreement Worker Visa?

    As well as meeting the above conditions for the nature of your work, you must also meet additional eligibility criteria.

    The conditions you must meet include:

    • You have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship reference number
    • You have sufficient funds to support yourself in the UK (at least £1,270)
    • You are aged at least 18 years old

    The Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

    The nature of the work you intend to carry out must be one of the following:

    • Covered under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
    • Covered according to a similar agreement between the UK and other countries
    • Working on behalf of an overseas government or international organisation
    • Working as a private servant in a diplomatic household

    If you are working in a role with a relevant occupation code for a UK sponsor which is also a licensed student sponsor, you may also be required to apply for an Academic Approval Technology Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

    As well as this, your employer must be a valid sponsor with the power to issue Certificates of Sponsorship.

    Proof of financial maintenance

    It is a requirement of the International Agreement Worker Visa that you must have at least £1,270 in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive days in advance of your the International Agreement Worker Visa application date.

    Two reasons why you may not need to show proof of financial maintenance may occur if:

    • You have been living in the UK for the last 12 months
    • Your employer has agreed to cover your costs up to £1,270 during your first 30 days in the UK

    In the latter instance, the Certificate of Sponsorship must indicate the employer’s intention to do so.

    This can be found under the section titled ‘sponsor certifies maintenance.’


    It may be possible to bring dependents with you on this visa route. Your dependent partner or child includes one of the following:

    • Your husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner
    • Your child aged under 18 years old
    • Your child aged over 18 (if they are currently your dependent in the UK)

    To be able to list your partner as a dependent, you must provide proof of your relationship (e.g., marriage certificate) or proof of cohabitation as part of your relationship for at least two years.

    As well as this, your child aged over 16 years must meet the following requirements:

    • They live with you (unless they are staying at an educational institute)
    • They are not married and they do not have children
    • They depend on you for financial support

    In order to be eligible for this visa, your partner and child must also meet a financial requirement. These include:

    • £285 for your partner
    • £315 for the first child
    • £200 for each additional child

    For example, for the visa applicant (£1,270), their spouse (£285), and child (£315), the total funds needed would total £1,870.

    Take the first step. Request a Fact Finding + Expert Consultation

    Documents Needed For The International Agreement Worker Visa Application

    There are a number of required supporting documents that you must submit with your application. These include:

    • Valid passport or travel document (your passport must have at least one blank page)
    • Your unique reference number on your Certificate of Sponsorship
    • Proof of personal savings to meet the maintenance requirement
    • Proof of relationship with your dependent partner/ child (where relevant)
    • Clean tuberculosis certificate (where relevant)
    • Valid ATAS certificate (where relevant)

    Please note that you will be required to submit a certified translation of any documents not in English or Welsh.

    You will be notified whether you need to submit your biometric information at the time of your application.

    The Application Process For Obtaining The International Agreement Worker Visa

    To apply for the International Agreement Worker Visa, you must follow the below steps to apply:

    1. Receive an eligible job offer from an approver sponsor
    2. Have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre for your biometric residence permit OR
    3. Use the UK Immigration: ID Check app to submit your biometric information
    4. If your intended stay is over six months, you may be required to pay the immigration healthcare surcharge for you and any dependents
    5. Have your Certificate of Sponsorship number available while completing your application
    6. Gather your supporting documents
    7. Submit your application online on the uk visa application page
    8. Pay the visa application fee
    9. Wait for a decision to be issued on your application

    There is no way to ensure a successful application, but you can maximise your chances by working with a qualified and experienced immigration lawyer.

    An immigration specialist will give you the knowledge required to submit the strongest possible application.

    Can you extend the International Agreement Worker Visa?

    The International Agreement Worker Visa can be extended for a maximum period of 24 months at one time, or the time period stated on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 28 days (whichever is shorter).

    This may be extended for 24 months at a time for a total of five years if you are a private servant in a diplomatic household.

    A contractual service supplier or independent professional may stay for up to six months in a 12-month period unless the following instances apply:

    • You are providing services under the Temporary Agreement between the Swiss Confederation and the UK on Services Mobility (where the visa can be granted up to 12 months in a 24-month period)
    • You intend to provide services under the UK-EU Trade and Co-operation Agreement (where they may be granted a visa for a maximum of 12 months)

    If you have any questions about your extension, contact IAS for further information about your personal circumstances.

    Is It Possible To Switch From Other Visas To an International Agreement Worker Visa?

    If you are currently in the UK on another visa or immigration permission, you will typically not be permitted to switch to the International Agreement Worker Visa.

    You may be eligible to switch to this category if one of the following situations applies to your case:

    • You have a valid work permit
    • You work for an overseas government or international organisation

    Note that you must apply in advance of the expiration of your current visa.

    However, it may be possible to leave the UK, apply for the visa while abroad and return if it is granted.

    Otherwise, it is not possible to switch to this visa from another.

    Sponsoring International Agreement Workers As An Employer

    Sponsoring International Agreement Workers as an employer involves facilitating the entry and employment of foreign workers under international agreements. In the UK context, this primarily refers to workers from European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries following the end of the Brexit transition period.

    Here’s what you need to know about sponsoring international agreement workers as an employer:

    • Eligibility: To sponsor international agreement workers, your organisation must be a licensed sponsor under the UK’s Points-Based System (PBS). This typically involves applying for a sponsor license from the Home Office.
    • Types of International Agreement Workers: Depending on the specific international agreement in place, different categories of workers may be eligible for sponsorship. For instance, in the context of the UK, this can include workers under the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
    • Sponsorship Responsibilities: As a licensed sponsor, you have several responsibilities, including ensuring compliance with immigration rules, maintaining accurate records, and reporting certain changes in a timely manner.
    • Resident Labor Market Test: Some international agreement worker categories may require you to conduct a Resident Labor Market Test. This involves advertising the job to settled workers in the UK before offering it to a foreign worker.
    • Certificate of Sponsorship (COS): Before international agreement workers can apply for a visa, you must issue them a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS). This document contains information about the worker, their role, and your organisation.
    • Worker’s Application: After receiving a COS, the international agreement worker must apply for the relevant visa. They will need to meet the eligibility criteria, including demonstrating their qualifications and the genuine nature of their employment.
    • Compliance and Record-Keeping: As a sponsor, you must maintain meticulous records of your sponsored workers, including their contact details, immigration history, and right-to-work checks. These records should be kept up-to-date and made available for inspection as needed.
    • Compliance Visits: The Home Office may conduct compliance visits to ensure that you are adhering to sponsorship obligations. Be prepared for these visits by maintaining accurate records and ensuring compliance with immigration rules.
    • Renewal and Reporting: Sponsor licenses typically have a validity period. Ensure you renew your license when required. You should also promptly report any changes in the circumstances of your sponsored workers or your organisation.
    • Legal Assistance: The process of sponsoring international agreement workers can be complex. It’s advisable to seek legal advice or consult with immigration experts to navigate the intricacies of the sponsorship system and remain in compliance with the law.

    How Can IAS Help With The International Agreement Worker Visa?

    Our team of specialist immigration advisers can guide you through each step of your application process for an International Agreement worker visa in the UK. Our services include:

    • liaising with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time that suits you;
    • assessing your eligibility;
    • checking your documents to ensure that they are sufficient for your visa application;
    • preparing a Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
    • liaising with the Home Office until your case is resolved;
    • completing each part of your application form to the highest standard.

    Get in touch with IAS online or on 0333 363 8577 today.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The application fee for the International Agreement Worker Visa is £259 per person, and there is no difference between applying from inside the UK or outside.

    There are additional costs involved, including the healthcare surcharge (where relevant) which costs £1,035 per year.

    As well as this, you pay be required to pay to submit your biometric information (usually £19.20).

    You must also show that you meet the minimum financial requirement.

    In general, most cases will be processed within three weeks from outside the UK, or eight weeks if the application is made within the UK.

    It may be possible to pay for a faster decision under the priority processing time. You will be told if this is an option for you at the time of your application.

    If you are an employer in the UK wishing to employ a worker, you must hold a valid Sponsor Licence. This qualifies you to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship and legally employ foreign nationals.

    Some of the foreign worker visas include:

    Speak to a qualified immigration lawyer if you need support with applying for a Sponsor Licence to hire foreign workers.

    Additionally, if you require assistance with your Sponsor Licence renewal, speak to our friendly client care team today to set up an appointment.

    As experts in immigration and international law, we have the expertise to assist you.

    Call 0333 305 3612 for an immediate discussion about how we can help you and your business.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us