Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Canada Electronic Travel Authorisation – eTA

If you are going to visit Canada, it is important to have the correct documentation. Canadian entry rules mean any visa-exempt foreign national is expected to acquire Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA).

If you require assistance or any further information about Canadian entry visas, permissions, or any other advice on traveling to Canada, please contact us. Speak to one of our legal advisers today by calling 0333 305 9375 or contacting us online


Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)?

    An Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) is an entry requirement which is required for all visa exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada.

    The Canada eTA is an electronic document which is linked to your passport. An eTA is valid for a period of up to five years, or until the expiration date of your passport.

    How Long Can You Stay?

    A valid eTA means that you can travel to Canada as frequently as you wish for short stays if you have a valid passport. These are usually for periods of less than six months. If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA to enter Canada.

    If you come from a country that is not on the visa-exempt list, you will not be able to apply for an eTA. Instead, you will need to apply for a visitor visa.

    Visa Exempt Foreign Nationals

    All visa exempt foreign nationals travelling by air will require an eTA.

    You will also require an eTA if you are travelling through Canada by air, including if you need to change flights in a Canadian airport even if you are then travelling on to another country. If you are arriving in Canada by other means, you do not require an eTA.

    If you hold a Canadian passport, or you and your family are Canadian citizens (including dual citizens), you do not require an eTA.

    What Do I Need To Apply for an eTA?

    You can only apply online through the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for an eTA.

    The application fee is CAN$7.00.

    You will require a debit or credit card to make the payment. You will also require an email address to receive confirmation of your eTA.

    All travellers must have a valid passport from a country on the visa-exempt list.

    Occasionally, travellers are asked to submit supporting documents before the eTA is approved.

    You will be asked to provide the following information:

    • Full name
    • Date of birth
    • Place of birth
    • Gender
    • Marital status
    • Passport Number
    • Current occupation (if employed)
    • Address
    • Nationality

    Additional Information

    Please note that each eTA can only be linked to one passport, so it is crucial to ensure your passport information is completed correctly.

    Each eTA is only valid for one individual. If you are applying on behalf of someone else — a child or dependent, for example — each one will require a separate eTA. Each eTA also requires additional payment.

    How Long Does it Take To Process?

    Because the application process is simple and online, the eTA is normally processed within just a few minutes.

    Additional Documentation

    If you are requested to submit supporting documentation for your eTA application, you will be sent an email within 72 hours. This will outline what additional information is required to complete the application process.

    Clouds from above, with plane wing.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assist with your eTA application.

    What Happens When My eTA Application Is Approved?

    Once your application is approved, you will receive confirmation from the Canadian immigration service. This email will contain your eTA number.

    When you receive this email, please confirm that all details are correct. If the information is not accurate, you may not be able to board your flight, and you may be refused entry into Canada. You are therefore strongly encouraged to ensure all details are correct.

    In addition to the eTA, you will have to provide other details to the Canadian authorities to confirm that you are eligible to enter the country. For this, you will need to download and use the ArriveCAN mobile app.

    This will allow you to submit important information, such as your COVID-19 vaccination status, contact details for when you are in Canada, and other relevant travel information.

    What Happens if my eTA Application is Rejected?

    If you have applied for an eTA and it has been rejected, you will not be able to travel to Canada.

    You can re-apply for an eTA any time after you receive your rejection. However, to be considered you will need to address any concerns or reasons for the rejection.

    If your application has been submitted but been unsuccessful you are not eligible for a rebate of the CAN$7.00 processing fee. This is applicable whether your application is successful or not.

    Should you choose to challenge the refusal of the eTA, you are entitled to ask the Federal Court of Canada to review the decision. To do this, you will require a lawyer to act on your behalf.

    If you need assistance with how to deal with an eTA rejection, or if you have any other questions about the application process for an eTA, our legal advisers are standing by today for expert guidance and advice. Please contact us on 0333 305 9375 or online so we can help.

    What Happens When I Travel To Canada?

    When you are at the departure airport, your passport will be checked, and airline staff will confirm that you have a valid eTA before you board your flight to Canada.

    If you do not have a valid eTA, you will be denied boarding and you will not be allowed to travel to Canada.

    If you are travelling with children under 18 you may also be required to show documentation that authorises the child to travel to Canada (such as a letter from the child’s parents or guardian), or other documents such as adoption papers, otherwise they can also be denied boarding.

    If you have been invited to travel to Canada, please ensure you have your letter of invitation with you.

    What Happens When I Enter Canada?

    When your flight lands and you arrive at the Canadian border, you will be asked to produce your valid passport and other supporting documentation. The Canadian authorities will use this to confirm your identity and ensure you have the right to enter Canada and will include checking that you have an eTA.

    You will also be required to be checked for symptoms of COVID-19.

    Once this has all been completed, you will be allowed to enter Canada.

    Call us for further assistance with your Canadian immigration matter.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Traveling to Canada from a non visa-exempt country requires an eTA. The process of applying is a fairly straightforward one. It is important to ensure all the details are correct, and that you are aware of what you are applying for and how it functions. It is also important to ensure that each individual travelling has an eTA.

    If you have any additional questions and require advice, guidance, or further information on the eTA or any other aspects of entering Canada, please contact our legal professionals, who can assist you. Our experts are ready to advise on all aspects of the eTA process, from initial application through to acceptance. Please contact us on 0333 305 9375 or online so we can help

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 20 offices across the UK, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us