Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

D6 visa (Family Reunification Visa)

If you have a family member who is a temporary or permanent resident in Portugal, you can apply for a family reunification visa to join them as a resident.

For more information about living in Portugal, including the range of visas available and how to settle there as a resident, reach out to one of our immigration advisers today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online.


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Portugal Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Portugal visa or permit, IAS Portugal immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Ireland successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in Portugal immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Portugal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Services we Provide

    Overview of the Portugal Family Reunification Visa

    The Portuguese family reunification visa (also known as the family visa, or family reunion visa) is one of Portugal’s residence permits.

    It allows non-EU family members of Portuguese residents to travel to Portugal and join them to also become residents.

    The non-EU national travelling to Portugal will normally receive a residence permit that’s valid for the same duration as their Portuguese family member’s.

    To be eligible for the family reunification visa, both the Portuguese resident and the family member living outside of Portuguese national territory must fulfil a number of requirements.

    Who Can Apply for a Family Reunification Visa?

    Non-EU citizens who have a valid residence permit in Portugal may apply to bring the following family members to join them in Portugal:

    • Married or registered partners
    • Minor children, including adopted children
    • Any children under the care of the applicant
    • Dependent children who are of age and are enrolled in an established educational institution in Portugal
    • First-degree relatives who are dependent on the applicant
    • Minor siblings who are under the legal custody of the applicant

    Note that those in Portugal with a student permit, on an unpaid traineeship or voluntary service may only bring their spouse, children, and adopted children to Portugal to join them.

    Allow our legal experts to help you with this complicated process. Speak to us today by calling: +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online.

    How Do I Apply for a Family Reunification Visa?

    The first step in applying for a family reunification visa involves the resident in Portugal submitting an application on the family member’s behalf.

    This must be made to the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, or SEF).

    This initial application will be processed within 60 days and the resident, the family member and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be informed of the decision.

    After the initial application has been processed and approved, the family member who wishes to travel to Portugal will then have to apply at a Portuguese embassy or consulate in their home country.

    When applying to a local Portuguese embassy or consulate, you will need to ensure that you have all the required documents ready and prepared for your application. Note that any documents not in Portuguese need to be translated into Portuguese by an authorised translator and then certified by a notary.

    You will then have to schedule an appointment with the embassy or consulate where you will present your documents.

    If your application is approved, you can then travel to Portugal. You must make an appointment with SEF after your arrival in Portugal to register as a resident and receive your long-term residence permit.

    What Documents Do I Need to Apply?

    The applicants applying for a family reunion visas must submit the following documents visa application when applying:

    • Proof of legal residency in Portugal (such as with a valid residence permit)
    • Proof of relationship for family members, such as:
      • Birth certificate
      • Adoption certificate
      • Marriage certificate
    • Copies of valid passport, ID or travel documents
    • Proof of viable accommodation for family members
    • Proof of funds to financially support family members
    • Criminal record certificate for family members
    • Proof that the family members have been living legally in their current place of residence
    • Proof of incapacity or economic dependency of any dependent relatives who are not minor children
    • Birth certificate, proof of economic dependence and proof of educational enrolment in Portugal for children who are studying in Portugal
    • Documents proving legal guardianship in the case of minor siblings
    • Proof of de facto union for common-law partners

    Get in touch with our immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your family reunification visa application.

    What Are the Fees and Processing Times?

    A Portuguese family reunification visa costs around €84 to obtain.

    Family reunification visas normally take around 60 days to process, although this may take longer depending on how busy SEF are and the volume of applications they have received at any one time.

    How Long Are Family Reunification Visas Valid For?

    If the Portuguese resident has a temporary residence permit, family members will receive a family reunification visa that is valid for the same duration as the temporary residence permit. However, the family reunification visa will be eligible to be renewed beyond its initial expiration date.

    Portuguese temporary residence permits are normally valid for a period of up to five years.

    If the Portuguese resident has a permanent residence permit, the family reunification permit issued will be valid for a period of time up to two years, although this can also be renewed and extended.

    After the initial two year period, family members can obtain an independent residence permit if the family link is still present.

    Can I Apply for Citizenship With a Family Reunification Visa?

    After the family member has lived in Portugal continuously for five years, they will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

    If you manage to obtain permanent residency, you will then be eligible to apply for Portuguese citizenship after another one additional year (six years of residency in total).

    Note that you will need to provide proof of a basic working knowledge of the Portuguese language to be eligible for citizenship, as well as proof that you have not been convicted of any crimes during your residency in Portugal.

    How Can IAS Help?

    The Portuguese family reunification visa is an excellent route to Portuguese residency for those who have close family members who already hold residence in Portugal.

    If you’re interested in applying for the family reunification visa, or if you have any other questions, concerns or queries about emigrating to Portugal, IAS can help.

    We are expert legal advisers specialising in immigration law and helping people emigrate around the globe. We can help you through every step of the application process, including coordinating with your family members, liaising with Portuguese officials and SEF, and helping you to assemble the required documents you need to successfully apply.

    For more information about the services we offer, and what we can do for you, reach out to one of our immigration advisers today on 0333 305 9375, or contact us online.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Yes, you will be able to work or study in Portugal with a family reunification visa. However, you must get in contact with a local branch of SEF first before you do so in order to notify them of your intention to work or study.

    If the family ties are severed, such as in exceptional cases like divorce or death, you may be eligible to apply for an independent residence permit within the first two year period of your family reunification visa.

    Yes, Portugal allows dual citizenship, which means that Portuguese citizens are able to be citizens of other countries in addition to Portugal.

    However, you must ensure that your home country also allows dual citizenship before applying to become a Portuguese citizen.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us