Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

D4 Visa (Short-term Student Visa)

If you are a non-EEA citizen and you want to study in Portugal, you might need to apply for a Student Visa. If your course is no longer than three months, you should obtain the D4 Visa, which is a Short-term Student Visa.

For professional assistance with your application, call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online. We are here to help you in person, via phone, or online.


Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Portugal Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Portugal visa or permit, IAS Portugal immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Ireland successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in Portugal immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Portugal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    What is the D4 Visa?

    The D4 Visa is intended for international students who want to come to Portugal to complete a study course shorter than three months. Whether or not foreign citizens need a Student Visa to be able to study in Portugal depends on their nationality.

    EU/EEA citizens, as well as citizens of Switzerland do not have to obtain visas to come to Portugal to study. This applies to both short-term and long-term study courses.

    Most non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens, however, need to get a Student Visa prior to arriving in Portugal. This concerns individuals from countries that typically require a Schengen Visa to visit Portugal.

    Keep in mind that there are a number of nationalities that are exempt from the visa requirement if they are coming to complete a short study course in Portugal. Examples of eligible nationalities include citizens of Australia, Canada, or the US.

    If you are not sure whether or not you need a visa to undertake a short-term study course in Portugal, get in touch with our lawyers and they will help you determine it. Call us today on  +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online.

    What are the eligibility requirements for the D4 Visa?

    To be able to obtain the Portuguese Short-term Study Visa, applicants need to meet the following requirements:

    • Have a valid passport
    • Have a letter of acceptance from a university where they plan to study once in Portugal
    • Be able to prove that they have paid the tuition fees or that they have a scholarship
    • Be able to prove that they have paid the visa application fees
    • Have enough money to support themselves during your stay in Portugal
    • Be able to prove that they have accommodation in Portugal
    • Do not have a criminal record
    • Have private travel insurance
    • Have adequate health insurance.

    As part of the application process for the Portuguese Short-term Student D4 Visa, you have to submit documents that prove that you meet these criteria.

    What is the application process for the D4 Visa?

    Before applicants can initiate the application process for the D4 Visa to Portugal, they need to have the letter of acceptance from the academic institution in Portugal. Once they obtain it, they have to schedule an appointment at the Portuguese Embassy in their home country.

    In preparation for the appointment, they need to complete the Portugal Student Visa application form and gather all the required supporting documents. They also have to pay the visa application fee and include the receipt in their documents file.

    They then have to bring all the necessary documents to their appointment so that immigration officials can review them and determine whether or not the applicant meets the requirements for the D4 Visa.

    Those whose visa application is approved are able to start preparing for their journey to Portugal. The visa will be placed in their passport, serving as proof of their right to enter Portugal.

    If your visa application is rejected, you should consult an immigration lawyer who can explain to you what your options are. For example, you might be able to obtain a different Portuguese visa.

    What is the waiting time?

    There is no specific time frame for the processing of applications for the D4 Visa to Portugal. How long you will have to wait to hear the decision depends on several factors such as the workload of the Portuguese Embassy where you applied, the number of applicants submitting their applications at the same time as you, or the complexity of your case.

    Most applicants hear back within three months, however.

    If you fail to provide some of the required supporting documents, the waiting time can be longer.

    To avoid delays you should hire an immigration lawyer who can make sure that your portfolio of evidence includes all the necessary documents and that there are no mistakes in your application. Call our experts today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online.

    It is advisable that you start the application process as soon as you get the acceptance letter from the university in Portugal.

    Can I work in Portugal with the D4 Visa?

    The D4 Visa is issued to foreign citizens who want to study in Portugal short-term. Unfortunately, if you come to Portugal on the D4 Visa, you will not have the right to work.

    Engaging in employment would mean breaching the conditions of your visa and lead to you facing financial penalties or even deportation.

    The situation is different for those who come to Portugal on the Long-term Study Visa. Its holders are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during holiday periods.

    Keep in mind, however, that even if you plan to work alongside your studies, the main purpose of your stay in Portugal has to be to complete a study course.

    If you want to come to Portugal primarily to work, you need to obtain a Portuguese Work Visa.

    Get in touch with our lawyers and they will tell you in detail how you can come to Portugal to work or how you can combine your studies there with working.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on D4 Visa (Short-term Student Visa).

    How can our lawyers help?

    Understanding the requirements and the application process for the D4 Visa to Portugal can be complex if you do not know Portuguese immigration law. Luckily, at IAS, we have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can guide you through each step of the process.

    Our lawyers can assess your circumstances and determine whether you are eligible to apply for the Portuguese Short-term Study Visa. If so, they can help you complete the visa application form.

    Thanks to their professional assistance you can be sure that your application has been completed to the highest standard and that your case is as strong as possible. This way you can maximise the chances of a positive outcome.

    We have a team of highly qualified immigration lawyers who have helped many clients apply for various visas to Portugal, including the D4 Visa. They can answer all your questions and review your portfolio of evidence to check whether you included all the necessary documents.

    Call us today on +44 (0)333 305 9375, or contact us online to find out more about how we can help.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The D4 Visa is granted to foreign citizens coming to Portugal to complete a short-term study course which is shorter than three months. After your visa expires, you must leave Portugal.

    If your chosen study course is longer than three months, you need to obtain the Long-term Student Visa. The exact validity of the Long Term Student Visa to Portugal can vary depending on the duration of the study course.

    Portugal is a member of the EU and a part of the Schengen area. That means that EU citizens have the right to come to Portugal to visit, work, or study freely, without having to obtain visas or meet any specific requirements.

    As an EU citizen, all you need to do when arriving in Portugal is show your national id or passport to immigration officials at the border to confirm your right to enter Portugal without a visa.

    And, if you plan to stay in Portugal longer than three months, you need to register with the local authorities.

    Due to its excellent universities, multi-cultural atmosphere, and warm climate, Portugal is an attractive destination for international students.

    Portugal is part of the EU and it hosts many expats from all over Europe. That means that English is widely spoken there and you do not have to worry about having troubles communicating with people.

    What also makes Portugal a great choice for students considering doing a semester or a degree abroad is the low cost of living.

    The D4 Visa allows foreign citizens to come to Portugal to complete a study course shorter than three months. If you obtain it, you will have the right to remain in Portugal for up to three months but after that you have to return to your home country.

    If you would like to spend more time in Portugal, you can apply for a different visa and come back in the future. Nevertheless, staying in Portugal after your D4 Visa expires is illegal.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 20 offices across the UK, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us