Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Irish Immigration Stamps

Irrespective of your visa type or nationality, you must apply for permission to stay and get a stamp from the Irish Immigration registration office.

Contact us today via (+353) 061 518 025 for immediate guidance on your Irish visa, immigration, and citizenship processing. We are here to help you in person, via the phone, or online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Ireland Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining an Ireland visa or permit, IAS Ireland immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Ireland successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in Ireland immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Ireland immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Irish Immigration Stamps Eligibility

    There are different types of immigration stamps in Ireland. Each stamp corresponds to a particular type of immigration permit. The type of stamp you’ll get depends on why you’re coming to Ireland.

    In other words, the stamp will show the type of permission you have, how long you can stay, and what you can and cannot do during your stay.

    Your country of residence and citizenship may determine whether you will need a visa to enter Ireland. The Treaty of Rome allows for the free movement of EU/EEA nationals within the EU.

    Hence, you may not need a visa to enter Ireland if you’re an EU/EEA resident. A valid passport or national identity card is all you need to enter and stay in Ireland for up to three months.

    Non-EU/EEA citizens may require a visa to visit or reside in Ireland depending on their travel purpose and country of residence.

    However, whether you’re required to have a visa or not, you must register for immigration permission. Irish immigration officers will put a stamp in your passport if your application for a visa or permission to stay is successful.

    What is a Stamp 0?

    Stamp 0 permits a person to enter and stay in Ireland for a particular period after which they must leave. The permitted period of stay is usually less than 9 months.

    Dependent relatives, elderly people, visiting academics, and persons of independent financial means are some common applicants that get Stamp 0. It’s not intended for long term residence.

    If you get Stamp 0 in your passport, you must abide by the following conditions:

    • You must not partake in any paid work during your stay in Ireland
    • You must be able to handle your finances
    • You can’t depend on publicly funded services or state benefits

    What is a Stamp 1?

    Stamp 1 is usually issued to those traveling to Ireland with authorization to work or run a business. It counts towards residency when applying for naturalization.

    If you get the Stamp 1 in your passport, you must abide by the following conditions:

    • You or your employer must obtain an valid employment permit before you can start working
    • If you’re to run a business, you must not engage in any business or trade until you receive an employment permit unless indicated otherwise in an INIS letter of permission

    If you’re to run a business in Ireland, it’s possible to get Stamp 1 if you or your partner has an employment permit, or you’re working on a Working Holiday Authorisation.

    Irish stamps

    What is a Stamp 1A?

    Stamp 1A is a special type of immigration permission normally issued to trainee accountants. These are persons undergoing full-time paid accountancy training in Ireland.

    The applicant must not engage in any other business, trade or profession unless specifically indicated in an INIS letter.

    New immigration regulations for Stamp 1A trainee accountants came into effect in July 2019. The new regulations are on the time limits of Stamp 1A residents. As a trainee accountant, you must meet the following conditions to qualify for Stamp 1A:

    • You must have a third-level degree to apply for the Trainee Accountant program.
    • You must manage your academics and any compulsory work experience to finish on time.
    • You must finish your education in Ireland within the four-year limit and then move on to another jurisdiction when the eight-year limit for student/trainee has reached its expiry date
    • You must provide an annual progress report from your trainer to confirm that you passed your examinations and acquired the necessary experience. This is also needed every year to renew your Stamp 1A permission.

    What is a Stamp 1G?

    There are two categories of Stamp 1G recipients. This includes;

    1. Those who have completed a level 8 or higher education and wish to work in Ireland

    The Third Level Graduate Scheme allows people in this category to work in Ireland. However, you must work a maximum of 40 hours per week and you must have Stamp 2 registration to apply.

    2. Those who are the spouse/de facto partner of a Critical Skills Employment Permit holder or of Researchers in the State on Hosting Agreements

    Stamp 1G now includes permission for spouses/de facto partners of Critical Skills Employment Permit holders and Researchers on Hosting Agreements.

    Previously, spouses/partners were subject to Stamp 3 conditions which require they get an employment permit for working. They can now work in Ireland without a permit under Stamp 1G.

    However, there are still some restrictions. For instance, they cannot own or operate a business and cannot be self-employed.

    Both Stamp 1G categories require annual renewal. You can apply for a Stamp 4 after five years on a Stamp 1G. Also, time spent on Stamp 1G counts as residency for citizenship by naturalization application.

    What is a Stamp 2?

    Stamp 2 permits you to take a full-time course in Ireland for a particular period. The course must be on the official Interim List of Eligible Programs.

    Examples of such courses include HND, undergraduate degree, master’s degree, PhD, and English language courses.

    Conditions attached to a stamp 2 include:

    • You can only work in a casual setting and not for more than 20 hours every week if school is in session. During holidays, you can work for a maximum of 40 hours.
    • You cannot use public funded services or receive state benefits expect you have specific entitlements

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance with your immigration issue.

    What is a Stamp 2A?

    Stamp 2A is the opposite of Stamp 2. It permits you to study a full-time course that’s not on the official Interim List of Eligible Programs for a particular time period.

    Examples include if you’re coming to study at a private secondary school in Ireland or you have to complete a semester in an Irish university or college.

    Conditions for this stamp include:

    • You must not cannot engage in any work, business, or trade during your stay
    • You cannot use public funded services or receive state benefits
    • You must have private medical insurance
    irish countryside

    What is a Stamp 3?

    Stamp 3 is normally issued to people coming to Ireland as a volunteer or a minister of religion. It prohibits them from engaging in any business, trade, or profession.

    Those accompanying a non-EEA/EU/Swiss spouse or civil partner or family member on a work permit can also get Stamp 3 permission. Once your permit expires, you can apply for renewal if you wish to continue staying in Ireland.

    You can leverage time spent on a Stamp 3 permit towards residency in Ireland when applying for citizenship by naturalization.

    What is a Stamp 4?

    Stamp 4 is a popular Irish immigration stamp. This is because it’s normally issued to long stay D visa holders. Those travelling to Ireland to join their spouse, partner or de-facto partner can also get Stamp 4.

    This category of persons don’t need an employment permit to work in the country. However, researchers with valid hosting agreements and workers can get stamp 4 but they’ll need a work permit.

    This immigration stamp has many advantages. It gives you permission to establish and operate a business, access state funds and services, and work in relevant professions.

    What is a Stamp 5?

    You get a stamp 5 if you have permission to live in Ireland without limits for a particular time. This is otherwise known as Without Condition As To Time (WCATT).

    This, however, is subject to other conditions. Usually, Stamp 5 applicants must have completed 8 years of legal residency in Ireland. It counts as residency when applying for citizenship.

    What is a Stamp 6?

    Stamp 6 is issued to Irish citizens with dual citizenship. This stamp is normally given in their non-Irish passport and gives them permission to remain in Ireland without condition.

    How can IAS help?

    The immigration system in Ireland can be extremely difficult to navigate– from the various employment permits to the intricate conditions outlined through each stamp. At IAS, our team of reliable immigration experts have extensive knowledge and experience of navigating the Irish immigration system.

    We can provide you with legal guidance throughout your immigration journey. If you choose IAS over an immigration lawyer, then you will be assigned an immigration consultant who is dedicated to working on your case. They will make sure that you are eligible for the route you are applying for and can help you to meet the requirements.

    If you are a visiting academic, elderly dependent, family member or a person of independent financial means who requires help obtaining or renewing a Stamp 0, IAS’ team of immigration experts are here to provide the legal guidance you need to ensure the greatest chance of success.

    If you wish to renew your permission, IAS can provide comprehensive assistance in order to extend your immigration permission. We will ensure that you are providing the relevant and accurate documentation required for your renewal application.
    Contact us today on (+353) 061 518 025 to enquire.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Irish immigration will issue a Stamp 1G for 12 months and you have the option to renew for another 12 months. How long you stay depends on your visa validity.

    To apply for Irish citizenship by naturalization, you need to live in Ireland for five years (1825 days) within eight years. As the spouse/civil partner of an Irish citizen, the duration is three years (1095 days) within five years.

    You can count how long you’ve lived in Ireland by adding up your Irish permission stamps. However, not all Stamps count towards citizenship. The stamps that count include:

    • Stamp 1
    • Stamp 1G for spouse, civil partner or de facto partner of a
    • Researcher on a Hosting Agreement or Critical Skills
    • Employment Permit
    • Stamp 3
    • Stamp 4
    • Stamp 5

    Stamps that don’t count towards citizenship include;

    • Stamp 0
    • Stamp 1A
    • Stamp 1G for Third Level Graduate Programme
    • Stamp 2
    • Stamp 2

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us