Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

PGWP – Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada for Nigerians

Are you a Nigerian who wants to study and work in Canada? IAS legal advisers will ensure that your PGWP application meets the requirements set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This helps to avoid errors and mistakes that could lead to delays or rejections of your application.

For the latest information on the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada for Nigerian graduates, including work opportunities and the process of obtaining a PGWP, contact us at our office in Nigeria on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also contact us online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Canada Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Canada visa or permit, IAS Canada immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Canada successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in  immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Canadian immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Apply for the PWGP in Canada?

    We have helped many Nigerian students with their PGWP application, so don’t hesitate to contact us for immediate assistance. Our skilled team of lawyers is dedicated to ensuring your travel plans are smooth and will handle all aspects of your application process or assist you with up-to-date information about the latest laws and regulations.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Overview of the PGWP in Canada

    The PGWP is a temporary work permit for international students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution. It is meant to provide international students with the opportunity to gain work experience.

    The program allows Nigerian international students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution to remain in Canada for up to three years after completing their studies.

    After your PGWP, you can apply for an open work permit and look for employment in your field of study or another occupation that would allow you to meet the requirements for permanent residency.

    How Does Transitioning from Study Permit to PGWP Work?

    International students can gain valuable work experience by transitioning from a study permit to a PGWP. The transition from studying to working in the country involves several steps and requirements that must be fulfilled.

    In order to apply for a PGWP, it’s important to understand the requirements of this program. PGWP length is determined by the duration of your study program.

    For programs that last eight months or more, a PGWP of the same length may be granted. And for those lasting two years or more, a three-year PGPW is possible.

    Once you have received a PGWP, you can start working in Canada and must comply with the terms and conditions of your work permit.

    What Are the Benefits of Obtaining a PGWP?

    The PGWP lets graduates stay in the country long enough to get Canadian work experience, which can help them with their career goals and increase their chances of being hired by Canadian companies.

    Here are some benefits of obtaining a PGWP:

    • Stay in Canada for up to 3 years after graduation
    • Doesn’t require a job offer from an employer
    • You can work for any employer in any occupation
    • Work anywhere in Canada
    • Apply for permanent residence when you have completed your studies and have been working full-time for at least one year
    • Bring your spouse or common-law partner and any of your dependent children (under 22 years old) with you to Canada

    Eligibility Criteria for PGWP

    In order to apply for a Postgraduate Work Permit in Canada, you must:

    • Be a citizen of a country other than Canada
    • Be accepted into an eligible post-secondary program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada
    • Have completed your course or program of study and received official notification from the DLI that you have met all the academic requirements for your degree, diploma or certificate
    • Apply for your post-graduate work permit before your current student authorisation expires
    • Demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

    Canada awaits Nigerian graduates. Contact us and seize your Post Graduate Work Permit today.

    What Are the Steps to Apply for a PGWP?

    The steps to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada are as follows:

    • Gather all the documents required to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. All of these documents must be originals
    • Complete an application form that asks questions about your education, training, work experience and other relevant information about yourself.
    • Submit your completed application form along with all supporting documentation either by mail, online or in person at one of Canada’s designated visa offices

    IAS immigration lawyers can guide you through the PGWP application process, gathering necessary documents and helping to complete forms accurately. Our legal team will make sure that all necessary information is included in your application and can advise you on any additional supporting documents that may strengthen your case.

    What Are the Documents to Support Your PGWP Application?

    When applying for a PGWP, there are several documents to include:

    • Valid passport that is good for at least the length of time you intend to stay in Canada
    • Copy of your valid study permit, which shows your legal status as a student in Canada.
    • Study permit should be valid at the time of your PGWP application
    • Official transcripts from the educational institution you attended in Canada. These documents should demonstrate that you have successfully completed a full-time program of study
    • Letter of completion from your educational institution that confirms you have met the requirements of your program and graduated
    • Additional documents to support your application

    What Is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) for PGWP Eligibility?

    A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada refers to a post-secondary educational institution with government approval to host international students.

    The quality of education and support services offered by these institutions are monitored to ensure that they meet standards set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

    If you want to get a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada or permanent status, after finishing your studies at a Designated Learning Institution, make sure that your program is eligible.

    You can find out if an institution is eligible for the PGWP by consulting IRCC’s official list.

    The list of DLI is available online on Study in Canada. You can also find it on the IRCC website. It is essential to reference the most up-to-date list of DLI, as these may change over time.

    Empower your future. Nigerian graduates, contact us and grab your chance for a Canadian Post Graduate Work Permit.

    Applying for PGWP Outside Canada or Inside Canada – Which Is Better?

    The differences between applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit within Canada and outside the country are in where you submit your application and what steps you have to go through. These include:

    Location of Application

    • Within Canada: Submit your application when you are physically present in Canada
    • Outside Canada: Submit your application from your home country or any other location outside of Canada

    Study Permit Validity

    • Within Canada: You must have a valid study permit when you apply
    • Outside Canada: You may have returned to your home country or moved to another location. However, you must have completed the duration of your study permit at a Canadian educational institution

    Supporting Documents

    • Within Canada: Applicants may need to provide their study permit and transcripts, among other documents specified by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (IRCC)
    • Outside Canada: In most cases, you will need to provide the same types of supporting documents as those needed for an application in Canada. The application process may vary depending on your circumstances and IRCC’s guidelines

    Travel to Canada

    • Within Canada: You can start working in Canada without having to relocate
    • Outside Canada: You must travel to Canada with your approved PGWP and other necessary documents in order to begin working on your permit

    Processing Time and Fees

    It takes anywhere from 80 to 180 days for a Post-Graduation Work Permit application to be processed.

    The cost of a PGWP application is determined by many variables. An applicant for a PGWP must pay two fees: CAD $155 for the application, and CAD $100 if they apply for an Open Work Permit.

    You should always check the IRCC website or consult authorised immigration representatives for current information about processing times and fees for a PGWP application.

    Extending Study Permit While Applying for PGWP

    If you want to extend your study permit while applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, you must do so before the expiry of your current status.

    If you complete your studies and wish to apply for a PGWP, be sure that your study permit remains valid during the processing period of this application.

    To get permission to stay longer, you will have to apply. If you’re eligible, you must be a full-time student at an accredited academic institution and hold the appropriate visa. It’s important to apply for the extension in advance of your current permit expiring.

    Make sure to gather all the needed documents and ensure that each document is up-to-date.

    Pave your pathway to success with a Post Graduate Work Permit. Contact our expert team for assistance today.

    Employment Options During PGWP Application


    While waiting for a decision on your PGWP application, students may engage in certain types of employment. However, you will be able to work in certain circumstances during this period. The following are employment options and related conditions:

    On-Campus Employment

    Students can apply for permits to work off-campus while their application for a PGWP is being processed. Students who work on campus at the library, cafeteria or administrative offices are covered. On-campus jobs do not have a maximum number of hours.

    Off-Campus Employment

    Students with valid study permits who are enrolled full-time may work off-campus while their PGWP application is being processed. The Off-Campus Work Permit allows students to work full-time during scheduled breaks and up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions when classes are in session.

    Co-op or Internship Work

    Students who participate in a work placement as part of their program, such as an internship or co-op, can continue working while they wait for the results from their PGWP application.

    This applies if your study-work placements are included in the duration of study permission and your work forms an integral part of the program.

    It’s important to follow the rules and regulations that govern working during this time. Here are some considerations:

    • Maintain full-time enrollment. Students must be enrolled full-time at a designated learning institution in Canada to qualify for on-campus or off-campus employment
    • Valid study permit. To remain in Canada and continue working during the PGWP application process, students must have a valid study permit. If their study permit is no longer valid, the work authorization will also be invalid
    • Eligible program. Students enrolled in approved programs at Designated Learning Institutions may be eligible for employment options. Your program must meet the government criteria
    • Compliance with work hours. Students cannot work more than the number of hours permitted for off-campus employment. You risk losing your legal status in Canada if you work more than the allowed hours

    Why Is a Letter of Completion for PGWP Necessary?

    A letter of completion is a document issued by the Designated Learning Institution to students who have completed their studies at that institution. This letter confirms that the student has met all academic requirements and is authorised to receive their degree, diploma or certificate.

    To apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, students need a letter of completion, which verifies that they have completed their studies and are eligible to receive the PGWP.

    The letter of completion may include information, such as the student’s name and date of graduation. It may also mention the study program completed during enrollment. The certificate is issued by the registrar, student services office or department responsible for overseeing program completion.

    Can PGWP Be Refused?

    Yes. IRCC may refuse to issue a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) if certain conditions are not met. If they do not, their application could be denied.

    If you are refused a PGWP, it may be because of:

    • Ineligible program. If the program of study completed by an international graduate does not meet the requirements for a Postgraduate Work Visa, such as being less than 8 months or not having been taught at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), then it may be refused.
    • Incomplete application. Completing an application incorrectly or failing to provide needed documents can result in a denial. Applicants should carefully read the guidelines and make sure they include all necessary information.
    • Program completion issues. IRCC can refuse a PGWP application if there are concerns about the candidate’s ability to complete the program, such as not fulfilling all academic requirements
    • Unauthorised work or status violations. Unlawful employment or breach of study permit conditions can negatively affect a PGWP application by international students.

    If your application is refused, it may be possible to resubmit or appeal the decision. You should consult with our IAS immigration lawyers to seek legal advice whenever you are uncertain about how best to proceed in your PGWP application process.

    Increase your probability on obtaining a Post Graduate Work Permit. Contact us for help and guidance.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Our expert lawyers at IAS can help determine if you are eligible for a PGWP. They can review your education and other factors to evaluate if you’ll be granted a work permit.

    When you have a team of legal experts looking out for your interests, you can be sure that all needed documents are included and forms completed accurately. It is less likely that errors or omissions will occur, reducing delays and refusals.

    We can review your supporting documents, such as transcripts, graduation certificates and letters of completion to determine if they meet the IRCC requirements.

    If your application for PGWP has been refused, IAS lawyers can help you appeal. We can help you determine why your PGWP application was denied and make a strong case to have it reconsidered or appealed.

    For more information about the PGWP application process, concerns, and updates on the status of your application, our expert and knowledgeable immigration lawyers can help alleviate the stress and uncertainty with your PGWP immigration matters. Contact us at our office in Nigeria on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also contact us online.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our Lagos office, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Once you’ve been granted a PGWP, you cannot apply again. The opportunity to apply for a PGWP is only available for 180 days, so you must meet all the eligibility criteria and submit your application within this timeframe.

    International students who began their PGWP-eligible program outside of Canada but were unable to travel to Canada due to COVID-19 travel restrictions can still apply for the PGWP.

    The temporary policy changes allowing certain students to complete their studies online from their home country have an end date of August 31, 2023. After this point, it may be necessary for these students to meet regular eligibility requirements in order to qualify for a PGWP.

    Yes, under certain circumstances a Post-Graduation Work Permit holder can convert to an Open work permit. International graduates with an Open Work Permit can work in any field they choose, rather than being restricted to a single employer or position.

    Conversion may be available to an international student’s spouse/common-law partner, nominated by their province or on humanitarian grounds. Each situation has its own set of requirements, which need to be followed.

    Seek advice from immigration lawyers about the eligibility criteria for filing and processing a petition to convert your PGWP into an Open Work Permit.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us