Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Student Dependant Visa UK For Nigerians

If you are applying for or already hold a Student Visa, you can sponsor your family members to join you in the UK under the student dependant visa route. However, you must meet specific eligibility criteria before your dependants can apply.

For more information about the student dependant visa UK, including requirements and how to apply, speak with an IAS immigration lawyer today. Contact us online today or call us at +23413438882 or our UK office at +44 (0) 3316300929.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS for Your Family Visa Application

    We can help you in obtaining a UK Family Visa. A skilled immigration lawyer from our team will examine the specifics of your case and guide you in identifying the most effective pathway for securing a Family Visa.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients achieve their Family visas, we ensure that your application is of the utmost quality.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With us, you get immigration lawyers who are dedicated to ensuring you reunite with your family member(s). Work with IAS for:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    A one-stop shop that extends beyond the application to include guidance on citizenship matters.

    Personalised Letter of Representation for a compelling family visa case.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Sponsor your Family Members to Join You in the UK?

    We have successfully assisted numerous Nigerians in reuniting them with their families in the UK and we can also support you with your application for a Student Dependant Visa. Let us handle all the complexities and make your travel plans as stress-free as possible.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Overview of Student Dependant Visa for Nigerians

    The Student dependant visa UK allows the family members of international students to join or accompany them during their studies in the UK. This visa category is designed to support family unity and allow students to be with their loved ones during their educational journey.

    Nigerians who come to the UK with dependant visas are typically granted permission to work and study there. This provision offers additional benefits for dependants, enabling them to enhance their skills, pursue educational goals, contribute to their personal and professional development, and make the most of their time in the UK.

    It’s important to note that the Home Office implemented a change to the student visa policy that restricts visa holders from sponsoring dependants from January 2024. This policy applies on all but post-graduate research routes, and it aims to prevent people from using the student visa to gain employment in the UK.

    This amendment to the student visa has significant implications for individuals intending to bring their dependants to the UK. If you are considering this option, it is crucial to consult with an experienced UK immigration lawyer to explore your options and receive expert guidance. Contact our Nigeria office at +23413438882 or our UK office at +44 (0) 3316300929.

    Eligibility Criteria for Students Bringing Dependants to the UK

    You may be able to bring your partner and children to the UK if you belong to any of the following categories:

    • You are enrolled as a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) with a duration of 9 months or longer
    • You have been newly sponsored by the government as a student on a course that lasts more than 6 months
    • You are a student participating in the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

    Eligibility Criteria for Dependants Joining Visa Holders

    Your family members may be eligible to apply for a UK student dependant visa if they are one of the following:

    • Your spouse or civil partner
    • Your unmarried partner
    • Your child under 18 years

    Requirement for Dependant Partners

    Both you and your partner must be 18 years or older at the time of application, and you must plan to live together during your stay in the UK.

    Additionally, your relationship must be genuine and subsisting, and you will be required to provide evidence of this with a marriage or civil partnership certificate.

    However, if you and your partner are not married or in a civil partnership, you can demonstrate a genuine and subsisting relationship by showing evidence that you have lived together for at least 2 years.

    Additionally, any previous relationship of both you and your partner with other individuals must have permanently ended. Furthermore, you and your partner must not be closely related or have family ties to the extent that your marriage would be prohibited in the UK.

    Requirements for Dependant Children

    There are specific scenarios where your child can apply for the Student Dependant Visa. These include if:

    • One parent is currently applying for the UK Student Visa, and the other for a dependant partner visa
    • One parent already resides in the UK, while the other is applying for a dependant visa to join them
    • Both parents are already in the UK.

    A dependant child can only apply based on one parent’s application (as a visa holder or partner of a visa holder) if:

    • That parent is the sole surviving parent
    • They are the parent with sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing
    • There is a genuine reason for them to apply as a one-parent dependant

    Your dependant child must be under 18 at the time of the application. If they are 16 or 17, they must not be living an independent life, such as being married or in a civil partnership.

    For a one-to-one with an immigration lawyer about applying for a student dependant visa, reach out to us today.

    Financial Requirements for Dependants

    Your dependant(s) must have enough financial resources to cover their living costs while you are studying in the UK. This requirement is in addition to the funds you must already have to support yourself.

    The amount of funds they need will vary based on your circumstance, which includes:

    • The duration of your permission to stay in the UK
    • The specific location in the UK where you will be studying
    • Whether you are currently on or applying for the doctorate extension scheme

    When calculating the level of funds, your dependants must have the following:

    £845 per month if you are studying in London

    £680 per month if you are studying outside of London

    Your dependants must show that this fund is available for up to 9 months. However, if you are studying under the doctorate extension scheme, your dependants will only need to show proof of funds for a maximum of 2 months.

    Documents Required for the Student Dependant Visa Application


    Applicants for the student dependant visa UK will need to submit the following documents as part of their application:

    • The applicant’s valid passport
    • Proof of funds
    • A tuberculosis test certificate
    • The student’s Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number
    • The student’s Unique Application Number (UAN).

    Additional Documents Required for Dependant Partners

    If you are married or in a civil partnership, you must provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

    However, if you are both not married or in a civil relationship, you can provide evidence that you have lived together for at least 2 years with the following documents:

    • Bank statements, council tax bills, or utility bills that show joint financial responsibilities and shared expenses
    • Residential mortgage statements or tenancy agreements
    • Official correspondence or documents that show that you live at the same address

    In addition to demonstrating your cohabitation, it is essential to provide evidence that any previous relationship of both you and your partner with other individuals has permanently ended. This can be supported by legal documentation, such as divorce certificates or dissolution of civil partnership certificates.

    Additional Documents Required for Dependant Children

    You must provide acceptable evidence to establish your parental relationship with your child. The following documents can be considered as proof:

    • The full birth certificate that shows the name of the child and parent
    • Court orders such as a special guardianship order
    • Government-issued household registration certificate

    If your dependant child is 16 or 17, you must show that they live an independent life by providing evidence of the following:

    • Where they live – if they do not live with you, you’ll need to explain why
    • Any rent or upkeep they pay you each month
    • That you support them financially if they do not live with you

    Your evidence must include any 2 of the following documents:

    • bank statement (which may show funds that you are providing to support them)
    • credit card bills
    • driving license
    • NHS registration document
    • an official letter from their current school, college or university that confirms their address.

    Are you a Nigerian studying in the UK who wants your family to join you? Reach out to us for an excellent application on their behalf.

    Applying for Dependants

    Your family members can apply for the student dependant visa whether you are already studying in the UK or at the same time as when you are applying for the UK Student Visa.

    They must apply online on the UK government website by completing the online application form and providing all the required information. Additionally, they must pay the visa application fee and health surcharge.

    They will be requested to schedule an appointment at a visa application centre as part of the application process. During this appointment, they will be required to provide your biometric information, including fingerprints and a photograph.

    If the application is approved, the UKVI will inform them through a letter, and they will be granted permission to enter the country. Upon arrival in the UK, they must collect their biometric residence permit within 10 days.

    Application Fees for Dependants

    Each dependant applying from Nigeria must pay an application fee of £363. If your partner or child is already in the UK and applying to extend or switch to the UK student dependant visa, they will pay £490 for the application.

    Your dependants must also pay the healthcare surcharge. The exact healthcare surcharge amount varies, so it is advisable to check the specific fee applicable to your situation.

    Additionally, the visa application centre may also charge some additional fees.

    Conditions of Leave on the UK Student Dependant Visa

    Partners and children of a UK Student Visa holder have specific guidelines to follow:

    • They are not eligible to access public funds
    • If required, they must register with the police
    • They can pursue studies under the ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) guideline.
    • They are generally allowed to work in the UK, with a few exceptions and restrictions on specific professions, such as professional sportspersons (including a sports coach).

    Children Born while in the UK

    If you have a child while studying in the UK, it is essential to note that they do not automatically acquire British citizenship.

    While getting them a dependant visa is not mandatory, if the child leaves the UK and wishes to re-enter, they will need to obtain immigration permission. If you need to apply for their dependant visa, you must do so before they turn 18.

    When applying for a student dependant visa for children born in the UK, it is required that both parents are present in the UK unless you can demonstrate sole responsibility for the child or provide serious and compelling reasons why this is not possible.

    As part of the application, you will be required to provide a complete UK birth certificate for your child, which should include the names of both parents.

    Enlist us to ensure the best possible chances of the success of your student dependant visa application.

    Family Members Visiting

    If your family members are unable or do not wish to apply for a UK student dependant visa, they can still visit you under the UK Standard Visitor route. As a visitor, they can typically stay in the UK for up to 6 months.

    It’s vital to ensure that the purpose of the visit falls within the allowed activities for visitors as specified by the Home Office.

    Family members should show sufficient funds to cover their stay in the UK without relying on public funds. It is recommended to provide details of accommodation arrangements and support during the visit, such as proof of a place to stay or sponsorship from the hosting dependant.

    Other requirements for family members to visit may include:

    • Valid passport
    • Completed visa application form (if applicable)
    • Proof of relationship with the dependant in the UK (such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate)
    • Travel itinerary or flight bookings
    • Any additional supporting documents as required by the UK visa application process.

    How Can IAS Help?

    If you’re studying in the UK or planning to apply for a student visa and you wish to bring your family members to join you, IAS can assist in applying for the student dependant visa.

    Our team of immigration experts will provide comprehensive guidance and support throughout the application process. They will assess your eligibility, assist with the application forms, and ensure that you have all the necessary documentation.

    We will also provide advice on the financial requirements and help schedule the biometric appointment. With our expertise, you can navigate the complexities of the student dependant visa application, increasing your chances of success.

    For personalised assistance, contact us at +23413438882 or our UK office at +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also reach us via the online contact form.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The student dependant visa is valid for as long as the main applicant’s visa remains valid. The stay period is usually a maximum of 5 years for degree-level students.

    Some common reasons include:

    • Insufficient evidence of a relationship
    • Failure to meet maintenance funds requirements
    • Incomplete or incorrect application
    • Withholding criminal or immigration offences from the Home Office

    It is crucial to carefully review the visa requirements, provide accurate and complete documentation, and seek professional advice to avoid pitfalls and increase the chances of a successful application.

    Yes. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain on a student dependant visa after 5 years of living in the UK.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us