Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Dependent Visa UK for Nigerians

The UK Dependent Visa is for dependent family members of a permanent resident in the UK who holds an adequate type of Work or Student Visa. If you are a Nigerian citizen looking to come to the UK to join your family, you might be eligible for a Dependent Visa.

We can assist you in making the procedure as simple as possible so that you can begin the next chapter of your life stress-free. Get in touch by calling +23413438882 or the UK phone number at +44 (0) 3316300929 to speak to one of our advisers today, or contact IAS online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS for Your Family Visa Application

    We can help you in obtaining a UK Family Visa. A skilled immigration lawyer from our team will examine the specifics of your case and guide you in identifying the most effective pathway for securing a Family Visa.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients achieve their Family visas, we ensure that your application is of the utmost quality.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With us, you get immigration lawyers who are dedicated to ensuring you reunite with your family member(s). Work with IAS for:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    A one-stop shop that extends beyond the application to include guidance on citizenship matters.

    Personalised Letter of Representation for a compelling family visa case.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Join Your Family Member in the UK?

    If you need help determining whether you’re eligible or what documents and information are relevant for your Dependent Visa application, contact us for professional advice. We have successfully helped numerous Nigerians get reunited with their family in the UK, so let us handle all the complexities and make your application process as stress-free as possible.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    What is a Dependent Visa UK?

    Depending on the type of visa of the main visa holder (referred to as the ‘sponsor’), and the personal circumstances of the dependants, the Dependent Visa can be available to those fulfilling the required eligibility criteria and providing the necessary information. It enables holders of relevant visas to bring their dependent family members to join them in the UK

    This type of visa is a popular route for immigrants looking to stay in the UK with their family, work (with certain exceptions) or study (with certain exceptions).

    Dependent Visa holders can later extend their visa and eventually settle in the UK permanently without restrictions by applying for an Indefinite Leave to Remain and, subsequently, UK citizenship.

    Dependants cannot claim benefits, work as doctors or dentists in training, professional sportspersons, or professional sports coaches.

    Visa applicants must pay attention to detail and provide accurate information when applying for a visa to ensure the maximum chance of visa approval.

    Who Can Bring Their Family to the UK on a Dependent Visa?

    There are different visa categories that a qualifying migrant must hold to be eligible to bring their dependents to the UK through a Dependent Visa. These relevant point-based (PBS) visa types include:

    • Worker routes (such as Skilled Worker Visa)
    • Temporary Worker routes
    • Innovator Visa
    • Global Talent Visa
    • Start-Up Visa
    • Ancestry Visa

    Who Can Apply for a Dependent Visa?

    A dependent family member can be a partner and child of an adequate visa holder. More specifically, they can be their:

    • Husband, wife, or civil partner,
    • An unmarried partner – you must have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years to prove that your relationship is genuine
    • children under 18

    Eligibility Requirements for a Dependent Visa in the UK


    To obtain a Dependent Visa as a spouse or partner, you can apply for a Dependent Visa if your spouse or a partner already holds a relevant visa.

    You can apply for your Dependent visa at the same time as your spouse or partner applies for their visa.

    Spouse or a Partner

    You must provide evidence of your relationship when you apply. You can submit a valid marriage or civil partnership certificate to prove your relationship is genuine.

    If you and your partner are not married but have been in a relationship for at least 2 years, you might be eligible for a Dependent Visa if you provide the following supporting documents:

    • A bank statement, council tax, or utility bills
    • Residential mortgage statements or tenancy agreements
    • Any official letters or documents that show the relationship between you and your partner and that you have been living together


    Children under 18 may apply for a Dependent Visa if :

    • Both are in the UK, and the child is joining them,
    • Or both parents are applying for entry clearance at the same time.

    Dependent children may also apply if one parent is in the UK and the other is applying for entry clearance to join them with the child.

    Children can apply as dependants of a sole parent if:

    • The parent is the only surviving parent
    • The parent has sole responsibility for the dependent child
    • There are serious reasons in favour of granting the child permission to stay in the UK

    Children over 18 may apply for a Dependent Visa if:

    • They were granted permission to stay in the UK when they were under 18
    • They are dependent on their parent and have not left home or live in a different household than the qualifying visa holder

    Children Born in the UK

    If your child is born in the UK, they do not need to apply for immigration permission. However, if your child leaves the UK, they will be required immigration permission to re-enter.

    Please note that when applying for a Child Dependent Visa, both parents must be in the UK on a valid Visa. Unless the main visa holder has the ‘sole responsibility’ for the child or there are ‘serious and compelling’ reasons for this not to be possible.

    Unlock your path to the UK. Secure a UK Dependent Visa for Nigerians. Contact us for immediate help today

    What are the Financial Requirements for a Dependent Visa?


    The ability to financially support yourself as a family during your stay in the UK is an essential requirement for this immigration route. You have to have enough money in savings and ensure you won’t rely on public funds.

    How much money you will need to support your partner and children depends on the visa type of the main visa holder. Usually, you will need around £1,270 available to support yourself as a family every month of immigration permission. With Student Visas, you must have between £680 and £845 each month for each month of immigration permission, depending on where the main visa holder is studying in the UK.

    You must have that money for 28 consecutive days, ending at most 31 days before the date of your application.

    When You Do Not Need to Prove You Have Money to Support Yourself?

    In some cases, you do not need to provide evidence that you will be able to support yourself throughout your stay in the UK. You do not need proof if you have been on a valid UK visa for at least 12 months.

    English Language Requirement

    There is no requirement to have knowledge of English languages to be eligible for a Dependent Visa. English proficiency is essential for settlement if you choose to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

    What Documents Do I Need to Provide to Apply for a UK Dependent Visa?

    To apply for a Dependent Visa, you will need the following supporting documents:

    • A valid passport or other travel document
    • Marriage Certificate if you are a spouse
    • Birth Certificate if you are a child – must include the name of both parents (this is only required for children who make their first application)
    • If you are a guardian of a child, you need to provide a court order, such as a special guardianship order
    • Bank statements
    • Evidence of a genuine relationship between you and the main visa holder/applicant
    • If you are from Nigeria, you will be required to submit the results of your tuberculosis test
    • If applicable, you will need to provide a criminal record check.

    How to Apply for a UK Dependent Visa?

    The application process is the same whether you’re applying from within or outside the UK.

    You must apply online through the official UK Government website. When you apply, you will get your Global Web Form number or a Unique Application Number.

    In addition to your visa application, you must gather all the required supporting documents to submit with your application.

    Applying for a Dependent Visa from Nigeria

    If you are applying from outside of the UK, in addition to your online application, there are usually appointments booked to attend at local visa application centres. This allows applicants to provide their biometric information (photograph and fingerprints) and provide any additional supporting documents.

    In Nigeria, there are three UK Visa Application Centres in Abuja and Lagos (Ikeja and Victoria Island). You should book your appointment at the nearest one to you.

    Our lawyers can help you. Contact us to apply for a UK Dependent Visa today

    Processing Times and Fees for a UK Dependent Visa

    The processing times and fees depend on the main applicant’s type of visa.

    For example, if the main applicant already has, or is applying (at the same time as the dependants) for a Skilled Worker Visa, the Dependent Visa through a Skilled Worker Visa will cost between £625 and £1,423, depending on your circumstances.

    If the main visa holder already has or is applying for a Student Visa, the Dependent Visa cost will be £363. If you apply from Nigeria, the cost will be equivalent to £363 in your local currency.

    The processing time for a Dependent Visa application can take 12 weeks. Some countries offer faster decision services for an additional fee, so you should check with your local visa application centre if such services are available.

    Immigration Healthcare Surcharge

    Each person applying for the Dependent Visa must pay Immigration Healthcare Surcharge as part of their visa application. This will allow dependents to use NHS services. The charge for this is £470 each year of the immigration permission, and £235 for the extra 4 months.

    Advantages of a PBS Dependent Visa

    PBS Dependent Visa is a significant immigration route to the UK for many visa applicants looking to come and join their families. Besides the key purpose of this type of visa, there are the following benefits to anyone applying for a PBS Dependent Visa:

    • Permission to work or study (full-time or part-time)
    • Leaving and re-entering the UK without issues on a valid visa
    • Option of visa extension
    • Possibility to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK provided that you meet the eligibility and residency requirements.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Applying for a Dependent Visa can be complicated and overwhelming for many people looking to join their family in the UK.

    The process of assembling the necessary supporting documents is sometimes complex, and you might be looking for guidance on what you should provide as evidence for your visa application.

     If you are still deciding what to include in your visa application, contact IAS for professional advice.

    IAS is a team of experienced and understanding immigration advisers who offer legal assistance to ensure the highest chances of your visa approval. IAS can help you assemble the necessary supporting documents and guide you through the application process to ensure it is completed to the highest standards.

    For more information about the services IAS offers, call +23413438882 or UK at +44 (0) 3316300929.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    A Spouse Visa is a type of Family Visa available to a spouse or partner of a British citizen, a UK-settled person, or a visa holder with a relevant visa, including a Business Visa or Worker Visa.

    A Dependent Visa is for dependent family members of various Work Visa holders and Student Visa holders.

    There is no age limit as long as your dependents fulfil eligibility criteria.

    However, if you are looking to bring your elderly parents to the UK as your dependents, they must apply for an Adult Dependent Relative Visa. You can sponsor them due to their age, inability to look after themselves, and health issues

    Dependent Visa holders are permitted to work in the UK. The only exceptions are:

    • working as a professional sportsperson, including a sports coach
    • working as a doctor or dentist in training

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us