Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Unmarried Partner Visa UK for Nigerians

The Unmarried Partner Visa allows you to join your unmarried partner in the UK and live there. There is a series of specific requirements for this type of visa.

For more information about the Unmarried Partner Visa UK for Nigerians, including eligibility criteria and how to apply, contact one of our legal advisers today. Call our office in Nigeria on +23413438882 or our UK office on +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also contact us online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS for Your Partner Visa Application

    Choose IAS for your UK partner visa application. Our skilled lawyers can handle various immigration issues, making the application process stress-free for you and your partner.

    With IAS, you get personalised guidance from experienced immigration lawyers, in-house document checks to verify your paperwork, and consistent communication with the Home Office on your behalf, when necessary.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. Work with IAS and enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Expert advice and a strong application to to minimise application risks or rejection.

    A one-stop shop that extends beyond the application to include guidance on residency and settlement

    A personalised Letter of Representation to highlight application strengths

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Join your Unmarried Partner in the UK?

    We have proven track record of assisting numerous Nigerians in obtaining their Unmarried Partner visas. Contact us today to receive expert advice from our experienced team. We’ll carefully review your application and help you avoid common mistakes that can cause delays or even get your application rejected by the Home Office.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Overview of the UK Unmarried Partner Visa for Nigerians

    A UK Unmarried Partner Visa is an immigration route that allows you to live in the UK with your unmarried partner.

    You will need to apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa and prove that you are their partner, which could include showing evidence of how long you have been together and proving that there is an emotional bond between the two of you.

    The Unmarried Partner Visa is for people who are unmarried or not in a civil partnership and want to live with their partner in the UK. It is also available to unmarried partners of any gender who have been living together for 2 years.

    What Are the Unmarried Partner Visa UK Requirements for Nigerians?

    If you’re in a relationship with a British citizen or a resident for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be able an apply for a UK Unmarried Partner Visa. The Partner Visa lets your fiance or civil partner join you to remain in the UK.

    In order to apply for this type of Unmarried Partner Visa, you will need to meet certain criteria and provide specific documents so the Home Office can decide on your Unmarried Partner Visa case.

    The UK Unmarried Partner Visa requirements include:

    • You and your unmarried partner must have been in a committed relationship for a minimum of two years (genuine and subsisting relationship)
    • Your sponsor must have a minimum income of £29,000 per year (as of April 2024; this is set to rise throughout 2024 and into 2025)
    • The applicant’s passport needs to be valid until at least 6 months after your expected date of arrival in the UK

    Genuine Relationship Requirements

    In order to be eligible to apply for a Unmarried Partner Visa, you must have been in a relationship with your partner for at least two years.

    The relationship must have existed at the time of application and after the date of entry into the UK. Both parties must prove that they will live together in the UK.

    Documents to Prove a Genuine Relationship

    In order to prove your relationship with your unmarried partner, here’s the UK Unmarried Partner Visa document checklist:

    • Photographs together or letters/emails between the two of you
    • Your intentions for living together permanently or settled in the UK, including a rental agreement
    • Joint bank accounts or utility bills in both names

    Secure your unmarried partner visa for the UK. Let us guide you through the journey. Contact us today.

    Financial Requirement for the Unmarried Partner Visa

    The financial requirement for the Partner Visa is an important requirement. For an Unmarried Partner Visa or in a civil partnership, the minimum income or the financial requirement is £29,000 per year for the unmarried partner as of April 2024.

    It requires you to show sufficient funds in your account to support yourself and your unmarried partner while they are settled in the UK.

    You should be able to prove that this amount has been deposited into an account by providing bank statements. Alternatively, a letter from an employer stating salary details could meet the requirement.

    Accommodation Requirement

    If you are applying for an Unmarried Partner Visa, you should be able to provide evidence of your accommodation in the UK. This can include:

    • A letter from a landlord stating that they have agreed to rent premises to you and your partner
    • A receipt proving you already paid or secured payment for their accommodation
    • Evidence of having made arrangements for their accommodation without any financial assistance from public funds (such as Housing Benefits)

    English Language Requirement

    In order to meet the English language requirement, your unmarried partner must pass the English language test. Here are the requirements for Nigerians applying for an UK Unmarried Partner Visa:

    • The unmarried partner must take an English language test and achieve a minimum score of CEFR level A1
    • Alternatively, applicants should be able to provide evidence of having a degree from a UK university or an overseas degree that UK ECCTIS has confirmed is equivalent to an English-taught UK degrees
    • Your unmarried partner must have taken the English language test at a test centre no more than 2 years before the date of the UK Unmarried Partner Visa application
    • Applicants who are nationals of an English-speaking country are exempt from language requirement

    Love’s path to the UK. Contact us for tailored Unmarried Partner Visa assistance for Nigerians. Start building your future today.

    How to Apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa from Nigeria


    If you are in Nigeria and wish to apply for the UK Unmarried Partner Visa, there are certain steps to take. First, gather all your documents and make sure they are complete before submitting them to the relevant embassy or consulate.

    The application form must be filled out correctly with accurate information about yourself and your relationship with your unmarried partner or in a civil partnership living in the UK.

    You will need to pay any applicable fees required by government agencies. Here’s a general guide on how to apply for a Unmarried Partner Visa from Nigeria:

    • Check if you meet the eligibility criteria for the Unmarried Partner Visa UK. You must be in a genuine and long-term relationship with a UK citizen or someone with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, have lived together for at least 2 years, meet the accommodation criteria and the financial requirement
    • Gather the necessary financial requirement documents, which may include your unmarried partner passport, proof of your relationship, evidence of financial support, and English language requirement for proficiency
    • Complete the online Unmarried Partner Visa application form and pay the application fee. You will need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to provide biometric information
    • Attend the appointment at the Partner Visa application centre and submit your supporting documents. Your unmarried partner may also be required to attend an interview as part of the application process
    • Wait for a decision on your Unmarried Partner Visa application. The Unmarried Partner Visa processing time can vary, but you can check the current processing times on the UK government website
    • Receive a Partner Visa that allows you to enter the UK and stay for up to 30 months if your application is successful. You will be able to apply for a UK extension of your Partner Visa before it expires if you continue to meet the eligibility criteria

    It is  important to note that the application process and the Unmarried Partner Visa UK requirements may vary depending on individual circumstances, so it’s recommended to consult with a qualified immigration lawyer or advisor for personalized advice.

    For professional and expert assistance with document preparation, contact IAS today.

    What Documents Do I Need to Provide with My Application?

    To apply for the UK Unmarried Visa from Nigeria, you will need to follow the UK Unmarried Partner Visa document checklist.

    You will need to gather and submit these documents:

    • A completed online application form you printed out and signed.
    • A valid Nigerian passport with at least one blank page for the Partner Visa
    • Two passport-sized photographs that meet the UKVI photo requirements.
    • Evidence you have been in a committed relationship with your partner for at least two years, such as photographs or letters
    • Evidence of financial support, such as bank statements, payslips, and other financial documents
    • Details of your UK accommodation, including where you and your partner will be living
    • A certificate confirming that you tested for tuberculosis if you plan to remain in the UK for more than six months

    These documents are the basic requirements for a UK Unmarried Visa application, and additional documents may be required depending on your circumstances.

    You can seek advice from an experienced immigration lawyer or advisor to ensure you have all the necessary documentation for your specific case.

    How Long Will It Take to Process My Application?

    The time it takes to process a UK Unmarried Visa application from Nigeria depends on various factors. While the UKVI aims to process 90% of non-settlement visa applications within 15 working days, the Unmarried Partner Visa UK processing time can vary.

    Although most applications will be processed within 3 months, some may take longer. You can check if your application has been processed by checking the status online.

    What If My Unmarried Partner Visa Application Is Refused?

    You will be able to either appeal the decision or submit a new application, if a UK Unmarried Partner Visa application is refused,

    The applicant must do so within 28 days of receiving the refusal notice and provide supporting documents to the First-tier Tribunal in order to appeal.

    You and your unmarried partner must address the reasons for the refusal and provide additional documentation if you decide to submit a new application.

    It is important to note that seeking advice from immigration lawyers or advisers is recommended to increase your visa success rate. Alternatively, you can consider applying for other types of visas if eligible.

    How to Appeal Your Unmarried Partner Visa Refusal?

    You can appeal the decision if your Unmarried Partner Visa application has been refused. Here are the steps you need to take to appeal the decision:

    • Review the reasons for refusal
    • Decide whether to appeal or reapply
    • Submit your appeal
    • Attend the hearing
    • Wait for the decision

    If the appeal is successful, your unmarried partner will be granted your Unmarried Partner Visa that allows them to come to the UK. If the appeal is unsuccessful, you may have the option to seek judicial review.

    Note that the appeals process can be time-consuming. Therefore, you can seek the assistance of IAS-experienced immigration lawyers to help you navigate the process and improve your chances of a high Unmarried Partner Visa UK success rate.

    Expert guidance awaits Nigerians. Contact us today to secure your UK Unmarried Partner Visa and avoid refusals.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Using IAS immigration lawyers for an Unmarried Partner Visa for Nigerians application can be beneficial for several reasons.

    Our legal team can provide expert advice on the ever-changing UK immigration laws and regulations. We can help you and your unmarried partner navigate the application process, identify any potential issues, and ensure all necessary documentation is properly prepared and submitted.

    Experienced lawyers can help you understand the specific requirements for an Unmarried Partner Visa application. We can advise you on the evidence you need to provide to show that you and your partner intend to live together to meet the eligibility criteria.

    For more information about how to apply for the Unmarried Partner Visa UK for Nigerians, including eligibility criteria and the current application process, contact our legal advisers today. Call our office in Nigeria on +23413438882 or our UK office on +44 (0) 3316300929. You can also contact us online.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    If you are already in the UK or have a valid visa, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa within the UK.

    You can stay in the UK for as long as your visa is valid if you are granted an Unmarried Partner Visa. This means that if you have a 6-month partner visa, then you can stay for 6 months at a time. However, there are some exceptions. You can apply for an extension or Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

    Couples must be able to demonstrate that they have been living together in the UK (or outside the UK with no definite plans to live outside the UK) and intend to continue living together unless their relationship ends. If one party is currently living outside of the country, then the couple should provide evidence that they intend to live together on their return.

    Evidence may include::

    • Landlords confirming by writing that both parties were residing at a specific address at a specific time
    • Friends or family members confirming with letters that both parties were residing at a specific address at a specific time

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us