Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Dependant Visa Canada for Nigerians

Over 70,000 people of Nigerian descent live and work in Canada, and many family members and partners are eager to join their loved ones in the country.

Moving your family abroad is a big step and can be a very challenging process. IAS can help. Contact us today online or call us in the UK on +44 (0) 3316300929 or on +23413438882 in Nigeria. You can also visit our office in Lagos.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Canada Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Canada visa or permit, IAS Canada immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Canada successfully, we can help you achieve your goal.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in  immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your Canadian immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Reuniting with Loved Ones in Canada

    Canada is a very popular choice for many Nigerians looking for new opportunities abroad.

    Canada is a great choice for many foreign nationals, as it’s a very pro-immigration nation that offers world-renowned schools and education programmes, has lots of exciting job and career progression opportunities, has universal healthcare, a thriving economy, and is ranked as one of the top 10 safest countries in the world. It also allows you to bring your family with you if you choose to study or work in Canada.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    What is the Dependant Visa Canada?

    A Canada Dependant visa is a visa that offers temporary residence to family members and partners of existing Nigerians who are working, living or studying in Canada on a temporary basis. The government of Canada allows a Canadian temporary resident with an eligible work or study permit to apply for their spouse or partner and dependent children to join them in Canada.

    Bringing Your Dependants on Your Work or Study Permit


    A Canadian Work or Study Permit offers the permit holder temporary residence in Canada.

    Nigerians with a partner and/or dependants who are travelling to Canada to work study are entitled to bring their family with them.

    Depending on what your family members plan or need to do whilst they are in Canada, they can either apply with you or complete their own separate application.

    Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and older or adult siblings or cousins are not eligible to apply to be your dependant on a work or study permit.

    Spouses, Common-Law, or Conjugal Partners

    Routes that might be appropriate for your partner to submit a separate application include:

    • Applying for an open work permit that offers temporary residency
    • Applying for a work permit that offers permanent residency, if that is their intention
    • Applying for a study visa
    • Applying for a visitor visa if they don’t intend to stay longer than 6 months.

    However, if they do not intend to work, they can be included on your application as either:

    • A visitor, or
    • A student.

    Spouse Open Work Permit

    If you are approved to bring your spouse with you on your study or work visa, your spouse will then be eligible to apply for a spouse open work permit, if they wish to work and assuming they meet all the other eligibility requirements. This will allow them to work full-time for a Canadian employer for the duration of your study visa period.

    An open work permit will allow your partner to work for any Canadian employer, and will allow them to work for different employers and move around the country with ease.

    Dependent Children

    Dependent children under 22 years old can be included as a dependant as part of your application.

    You can apply for them to enter Canada on your application as:

    • A visitor
    • A Student
    • A worker.

    If you are approved to bring your child(ren) with you on your study visa, they can be enrolled in any Canadian public school.

    To be eligible, your child must be:

    • Under the age of 22
    • Unmarried
    • Above 22 if they are unable to support themselves financially due to mental or physical impairment.

    Adopted children, younger or dependent siblings, nephews, nieces, and any other family members under the age of 18 may be eligible for the Dependant visa.

    Our experts will assess your eligibility and guide you through the requirements for bringing your family to Canada.

    Important Information About Applying to Bring Your Family With a Study Permit

    When applying for your study permit, you can choose to apply with or without your dependants. You can choose to submit an amended application later on, asking for your family to join you.

    Please note that this can impact whether your application for a work or study permit is accepted. Requesting for your whole family to come with you on a temporary visa could be cause for suspicion to an immigration officer as they might be concerned that you do not intend to leave Canada once your permit expires.

    There are significant risks that come with applying to have your family join you on a study permit, especially if you do not follow the correct procedures. This includes a potential 5 year ban from Canada.

    You will also be required to prove that you have sufficient funds to support you and any dependants you bring to Canada, and you will need to consider how bringing multiple people with you could impact your housing and health insurance requirements in Canada.

    Moving your family to Canada on a temporary basis can be a very difficult process. We can help. Contact IAS today online or call us in the UK on +44 (0) 3316300929 or on +23413438882 in Nigeria.

    a Nigerian in the UK

    What are the Eligibility Criteria for a Canadian Dependant Visa from Nigeria?

    Main Applicant Eligibility

    In order to be eligible as the main applicant, you must:

    • Be above 18 years old
    • Be able to prove that you have sufficient financial stability and means to support yourself and your dependant(s)
    • Be able to prove that you nor the dependant(s) will require any form of social assistance or financial benefits to pay for accommodation, food, and clothing
    • Be able to prove you will be living in Canada at the same time as your dependant.

    Dependant Eligibility

    The dependant must be your partner or your dependent child.

    Partners must either be your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. Your partner can be of any sex.

    Your family can come with you or visit you in Canada if:

    • They meet all requirements for temporary residence in Canada,
    • Can prove to an immigration officer that their time in Canada is temporary
    • They have no criminal record.

    Spouses must be:

    • At least 18 years old
    • Legally married to you.

    Common-law partners must be:

    • At least 18 years old
    • Someone you have lived with for at least 12 consecutive months, and without any long periods apart
    • Able to prove your common-law relationship with documents such as proof of share ownership of property, joint leases, shared utility bills, or identification documents proving you live in the same property.

    Conjugal Partners must be:

    • At least 18 years old
    • Not married or in a common-law relationship with you
    • Have been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year
    • Are unable to live with or marry you in their country of residence because of legal or immigration reasons such as
      • Their marital status
      • Sexual orientation
      • Persecution.

    Contact us today to begin the journey of reuniting your family in Canada.

    How Do I Apply for a Canadian Dependant Visa?

    If you wish to bring your family to Canada on a Dependant visa, then you must apply for the relevant permit. Work permits and study permit have different application processes and eligibility requirements, and you must follow the guidelines and application process provided in the online application platform.

    As of 2022, all applications must be completed online, unless one of the applicants has mitigating circumstances, such as a disability that requires them to apply in person.

    What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Dependant Visa?

    Each application is unique, and you may be required to submit other documentation that is not listed below depending on your personal circumstances. However, in general, the documents required are listed below:

    • A valid passport or travel identity card
    • A recent passport-quality photograph
    • The relevant application forms
    • Medical exams
    • Proof of funds
    • Birth certificate or adoption certificate if you are applying with a dependent under 18
    • Representative form if you have hired an immigration lawyer
    • A Marriage certificate or proof of common law relationship if applicable
    • Divorce certificate if applicable
    • Death certificate if you are widowed
    • A criminal record check.

    If one or both of the applicants are applying from Nigeria, you will be required to complete the following:

    • IMM 5562 form – this explains the applicant’s travel itinerary and purposes
    • IMM5546 form – details of Military service (if applicable)
    • Nigerian Birth certificate – if this isn’t available, you must be able to submit:
    • The supplementary judgement
    • Another official document that names the parents
    • School documents naming the parents
    • Household registry

    How Much Does the Dependant Visa Cost?

    The cost of the Dependant visa varies according to the visa that your dependant will be required to obtain as part of your application.

    Below is a list of fees that may be applicable to your dependant. Please note that fees are subject to change, and that the fees listed below are only for the application.

    Visa TypeFee per applicant (CAD)
    Study Permit$150
    Work Permit$155
    Open Work Permit Holder$100
    Visitor Visa$150
    Temporary Resident Permit$200

    You will mainly need to prove that the dependant will be comfortably supported in Canada and will not require government assistance.

    As a guide, most Canadian resident visas require the applicant to prove they have access to at least $13,000 per year. This is a good indicator for how much it might cost to financially support one person, and may be the sort of finances an immigration officer will approve, as they may refuse your application if they deem the amount of funding available for the dependent to be insubstantial.

    How Long Does it Take to Apply for a Dependant Visa Canada from Nigeria?

    Usually, applications for study and work permits take around 6 weeks. However, We do advise that you plan for longer, just in case there are any circumstances that extend the processing time, such as being required to attend interviews or submit further documentation. The wait time is also depends on which visa your dependant uses to enter the country.

    It is therefore important to make sure you leave plenty of time between submitting your application and the time you plan to relocate to Canada.

    Allow our team of legal experts to help you with the process of Dependant Visa Canada for Nigerians

    How Can IAS Help?

    Canada is an exciting country to move to for many Nigerian citizens who want to join their loved ones and start a new life abroad. Canada has some of the best work opportunities in the world, is very politically stable and has an excellent social welfare and healthcare system. It is also a very friendly and beautiful country to travel.

    We appreciate that applying for the Dependant visa is a long and complicated process, with multiple different forms to fill out. It can feel particularly overwhelming if there are multiple dependants, and you want to be sure that the application process goes smoothly. We understand how frustrated you might feel if your application were to be refused unnecessarily.

    That’s why IAS is here. We have a team of expert immigration lawyers who can support you through each step of the application process and advise you on your next steps for settling in Canada as a family. Contact us today online or call us on +44 (0) 3316300929. We are here to help.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Yes. Once you have completed your studies or period of work, you may be able to apply for permanent residency through a different visa route. You can do this from abroad or from within the country.

    Please note this could take several years, and if you wish to gain permanent residency sooner, you should look into permanent work visas and other types of permanent residency visas and permits.

    When you are given your study or work permit, you will automatically be given a visitor visa. You therefore will need to abide by the rules of your visitor visa such as if you have been given single or multiple entry options, and you must ensure you keep up to date with any extension requirements that may be involved.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us