Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Creative Worker Visa UK For Nigerians

We can work with you throughout your visa lifecycle to ensure a successful application. We are one of the UK’s most respected immigration law firms and have helped creative workers with their visa applications.

Nigerians working in the creative industry can come to the UK to practise their profession. With the Creative Worker Visa, you can work in the UK for 12 months, bring your dependents along, and opt for an extension.

To know how you qualify, how to meet the many eligibility requirements, and how to apply, call IAS on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 (UK office).

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS For Your Work Visa

    Our team of immigration lawyers can provide the right support to ensure you secure a work visa for yourself or your employees.


    Your immigration lawyer will consider your case and offer bespoke advice, and they will advise you on the optimum route to take to achieve your desired result.

    By working with IAS for your or your employee’s work visa, you make sure that you have an expert eye and hands on your case to boost your chances of success.

    We ensure you are applying for the most suitable work visa to boost your chances of success.

    We provide advice on the appropriate documentary evidence required to support your case.

    You get a personalised approach from a qualified and experienced immigration lawyer

    You work with you and liaise with the Home Office on your behalf to ensure the best possible outcome.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Work in the UK?

    We have a proven track record of assisting skilled Nigerians in obtaining Creative Worker visas. If you’re considering working for a short period in the UK in the creative industry and require guidance on how to get started, contact us for expert assistance. We can handle all the complexities and provide you with comprehensive support.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929.

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Overview of the Creative Worker Visa

    The Creative Worker Visa is a temporary visa given to people working in the creative industries to make an invaluable contribution to the UK’s rich cultural life. A valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) confirming the details of the role is required from a sponsor authorised by the Home Office.

    Creative workers include musicians, actors, comedians, dancers, models, or film crews who want to work in the UK creative industry. The production team of creative workers, like sound engineers, light operators, personal assistants, or an entourage, can accompany the main performer.

    This type of visa is not a route to settlement; you can only stay in the UK for 12 months. However, you can extend your stay for a maximum of 24 months as long as you continue to work for the same employer.

    It is important to note that professional athletes cannot apply for this visa. The Creative Worker Visa has replaced the Temporary Worker-Creative and Sporting Visa (T5), and sportspersons must apply for the International Sportsperson Visa.

    What is the Creative Worker Visa?

    The Creative Worker Visa permits short-term entry into the UK, allowing creative workers to stay for up to 12 months. As a creative worker, you need a UK employer to offer you a job in the creative industry, and if you wish to continue working for the same sponsor, you can extend your stay for a maximum of 24 months.

    To extend your stay, you need to apply before your current visa expires. Some of the typical industries where a creative worker may work:

    • Television
    • Dance
    • Music
    • Film
    • Theatre
    • Fashion modelling
    • Circuses
    • Opera

    Creative workers are permitted to bring their entourage, including production crew, producers, directors and personal assistants to the UK.

    Who Can Sponsor Creative Workers?

    A sponsor is required for a Creative Worker Visa, and it doesn’t necessarily mean they must be the direct employer of a creative worker as opposed to other sponsored routes. The employer can be any of the following:

    • Your direct employer
    • A producer or co-producer
    • Your promoter
    • Your agent, based in the UK
    • A general management company (if you are employed through a Special Purpose Vehicle)

    You should note that it is vital to check that your sponsor has a licence and understands the duties that come with being a sponsor of a foreign worker.

    Creative Worker Visa Requirement

    There are several requirements to meet for you to be eligible for the Creative Worker Visa. As a migrant under the Creative Worker Visa route, it is mandatory to prove a genuine intention to only undertake the work detailed in the CoS.

    You are also expected to fulfil a maintenance requirement to show that you can support yourself or that your employer can support you. Aside from meeting the general visa requirements, you must also meet the CoS and financial requirements. You satisfy the visa requirements based on the following:

    • You have a job offer to do creative work from an employer holding a valid Creative Worker Sponsor Licence.
    • You will make a unique contribution to the UK labour market, for instance, as an internationally renowned musician.
    • You genuinely intend to undertake the role for which you are sponsored, and do not intend to undertake any other employment.
    • You will be paid the minimum salary requirement set by Equity, PACT, or BECTU (except for models, musicians, or circuses).
    • You have personal savings to support yourself.
    • There is no general ground for refusal applicable to your application.
    • You have provided a valid TB certificate (if required).

    Your circumstances may require you to satisfy different requirements. Therefore, it is desirable to speak to an expert immigration lawyer for professional advice. IAS can help you with your Creative Worker Visa application. Call one of our expert advisers today at +23413438882 or (+44) 333 4149244 (UK office), or contact us online for support.

    Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) Requirement

    A job offer from a sponsor holding a valid creative worker sponsor licence is required for the creative worker route. As an applicant, you are required to have CoS (an electronic certificate) containing information including your name, details of the role you will be carrying out and the salary your employer will pay you.

    Your sponsor, which may or may not be your direct employer, is required to be operating in the creative sector, including a production company, media organisation, or promotion company. When you are issued the CoS, your employer should confirm any one of the following:

    • You will comply with your relevant Creative Worker Code of Practice if there is one for your occupation.
    • Your role appears on the shortage occupation list.

    If no code of practice exists for your job and your role does not appear on the shortage occupation list, your employer must consider the needs of the resident labour market and be satisfied that the work cannot be performed by a settled worker.

    Besides issuing Certificates of Sponsorship to individual creative workers, employers can also issue Sponsorship Certificates to performers and their entourages.

    Financial Requirement

    You are required to have at least £1,270 in your bank account, held for at least 28 days, and not more than 31 days before the date of your Creative Worker Visa application.

    However, if you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months or you are in an agreement with your sponsor to cover your costs amounting to £1,270 during your first month in the UK (it must be confirmed on your CoS), you will automatically meet the financial requirement and will not need to show funds.

    Embark on your creative adventure in the UK with confidence. Let us pave the way for your success in one of the world’s most dynamic creative landscapes.

    Travelling with Dependents on a Creative Worker Visa


    As a creative worker, you are allowed to bring your dependents (partners and children) to join you in the UK only if they are eligible. When your dependents’ visa application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours. The Home Office defines a dependent partner or child as:

    • Your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner
    • Your child under 18, even if they were born in the UK during your stay
    • Your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependent

    When applying for your dependents’ visa, you must provide evidence of your relationship with them. Proving your relationship with your partner involves the following:

    • Being in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
    • Have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.

    However, if your child is 16 or over, you must ensure that:

    • They are unmarried, not in a civil partnership, and do not have any children.
    • They will live with you (except if they are in full-time education at a boarding school, college, or university).
    • You will financially support them.

    Financial Requirements for Dependents

    In addition to the financial requirements you need to meet (£1,270 for personal support), your dependents (partner and children) also need to prove that they can support themselves while in the UK. The breakdown is as follows:

    • Your partner will need £285
    • One child will require £315
    • Additional children each need £200

    For instance, if you are travelling with your partner and a child, you would need to have £600 (£285 for your partner and £315 for your child) to bring them to the UK. The money should be available (by you, your partner, or your child) for at least 28 days in a row, ending no more than 31 days before applying for the visa.

    It is usually required to show proof of funds, but you automatically meet the requirement if:

    • Your sponsor can cover you and your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be clearly stated on your certificate of sponsorship
    • You have all been in the UK for at least 12 months (with a valid visa)

    If your dependents are not applying for the visa at the same time as you, they will only have to prove that they have sufficient money to support themselves.

    How Can I Apply for a Creative Worker Visa?


    Once you have obtained a CoS, you will need to complete the Home Office’s online application form. The following are the steps in applying for a Creative Worker Visa:

    • Upload your documents to the online application portal. Uploaded photos must be in PNG, JPG, or JPEG, while scanned documents should be in PDF.
    • Submit your application and pay the required fees online. The application fee is £259, while the healthcare surcharge fee is £624.
    • Provide your biometrics at the application centre. This is required by booking an appointment to provide your identity, like fingerprints and a photograph, and any additional documents required.

    The above procedure is for those applying from Nigeria. If you’re applying from within the UK, that means you are extending your stay, and the necessary procedures should be followed as well. You need to make sure that you apply before your current visa expires.

    Processing Times for a Creative Worker Visa Application

    Creative Worker Visa application decisions are usually made within four to eight weeks. However, there’s a possibility of securing a faster decision based on a Priority Service or Super Priority Service – if the visa application centre offers a priority service.

    Our team of seasoned experts is here to guide you through the entire visa process of Creative Worker Visa from Nigeria.

    Other Visa Options for Creative Workers

    There are many eligibility requirements to meet for the Creative Worker Visa, so you may not be eligible to apply. You can consider other options, such as:

    International Sportsperson Visa

    The UK International Sportsperson Visa is for elite sportspeople or qualified and sponsored coaches who want to work in the UK to develop their skills at the highest level. A valid certificate of sponsorship is required, and you will have to prove that you understand and can speak English (if you want to stay for more than 12 months). Other requirements are:

    • Personal savings of £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself
    • Tuberculosis test results (if required)
    • Travel history over the last 5 years to show you can travel

    Permitted Paid Engagement Visitor Visa

    You can consider a Permitted Paid Engagement Visit Visa to undertake a paid engagement in the UK for up to one month as a professional artist, entertainer, or musician. A formal invitation from a UK-based organisation and evidence of a direct connection to your profession are required to be approved for a permitted paid engagement.

    Skilled Worker Visa

    You must have a sponsorship certificate to be eligible for this type of visa. This visa can lead to settlement after you have spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK if you meet the requirements. Below are the requirements to meet:

    • A sponsored role that is skilled to the appropriate level and offers the appropriate minimum salary is required.
    • Your job title and annual salary
    • English language and maintenance requirements.
    • Your job’s occupation code

    If you are considering other options for the Creative Worker Visa and don’t know which one to choose, contact our legal professionals today. IAS offers comprehensive advice to help people make informed choices about visa options. Call our Nigerian line on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 (UK office), or chat with us online.

    How Can IAS Help?

    The requirements for the Creative Worker Visa can be complicated, especially for organising sponsorship. Therefore, it is vital to ensure your application is prepared carefully to avoid refusal. Why not contact an expert legal adviser to handle all your immigration concerns?

    By now, you should be aware that there are other channels for creative workers to enter the UK legally. Trust IAS to ensure you choose the most appropriate visa route that matches your requirements.

    With over a decade of immigration law experience, we have extensive immigration experience. What it means is that our lawyers have expertise in UK immigration laws.

    IAS can assist you with all aspects of a Creative Worker Visa application, including preparing and submitting your application and assisting prospective employers in achieving a Certificate of Sponsorship.

    You should schedule a consultation with one of our expert attorneys to discuss your visa application. Call us at +23413438882 (Nigerian office) or +44 (0) 3316300929 (UK office), or fill out our online contact form, and we will respond to you promptly.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    No. The Creative Worker Visa has no English language requirement.

    Yes. However, it can only be done based on the following:

    • You received the CoS from your employer before coming to the UK.
    • You have done the allowed activities under the Creative Worker visa.
    • You are in the UK on a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa or a Standard Visitor Visa.

    The short answer is no. As a creative worker in the UK, there are things you are permitted to do and not to do. Below are the things you are permitted to do:

    • Study (for some courses)
    • Do a job on the skilled worker shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week
    • Work for your sponsor in the job described on your sponsorship certificate
    • Do a second job in the same sector at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week.
    • Bring your partner and your children (if they are eligible)

    You are not permitted to:

    • Start a business
    • Get public funds

    A lot of reasons can cause UK visa denial, but missing documents are the most common reasons visa applications are rejected. A single missing document in your application is sufficient for the UK embassy to reject it, and you may not even get the chance to submit what is missing. Other common reasons for visa denial are:

    • Insufficient financial means to support your stay
    • Incorrect document organisation
    • Mismatching or incorrect information in your documents

    It is advisable to submit a well-detailed and quality application to avoid having your Creative Worker Visa denied. You can trust your application with IAS by calling one of our team members on +23413438882 or (+44) 333 4149244 (UK office). We will make sure your application meets UK immigration law requirements.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us