Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Federal Skilled Trades Program For Nigerians

Nigerians can apply for the Federal Skilled Trades program to enter Canada and become permanent residents.

IAS can help you to apply for permanent residence using the Federal Skilled Trades program. Call us on +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929. Or make an enquiry online

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Want to Work in Canada?

    We have assisted numerous Nigerians with their applications for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. If you’re considering working in Canada and require guidance on how to get started, contact us for expert assistance. We can handle all the complexities and provide you with comprehensive support.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +44 (0) 3316300929 or +23413438882

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244


    The Express Entry system of the Canadian government oversees three different federal economic initiatives, one of which is the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP). The primary channel through which Canada invites economic class skilled professionals to immigrate to the nation is known as Express Entry.

    The FSTP is a component of a larger initiative spearheaded by the federal government and other provincial governments to alleviate labour shortages in various skilled trades occupations in Canada.

    There are a variety of positive outcomes that may result from applying for immigration to Canada via the FSTP. Candidates for the FSTP who are successful and apply via Express Entry may often get their permanent residency within a period of six months.

    Applicants applying via the FSTP do not need to provide evidence of their level of education, which may result in their having lower CRS scores than other applicants applying through the Express Entry pool.

    Eligibility Criteria

    You need to satisfy the following requirements in order to participate in the FSTP:

    • Provide evidence of basic language proficiency from an approved language testing organisation, showing that the applicant fulfils the minimum standards set by IRCC — Canadian Level Benchmark (CLB) 5 for listening and speaking, and CLB 4 for reading and writing.
    • Have legitimate job offers of continuous, paid, full-time work experience (at least 30 hours a week) from up to two companies in Canada for at least 1 year or a certification of qualification from a provincial or territorial body. Applicants may demonstrate they have completed all of the criteria to practise their trade in a particular province or territory by obtaining a certificate of qualification. This certificate is evidence that they have passed a certification test.
    • Have at least 2 years of full-time job experience in a skilled profession within the 5 years before you apply, or an equivalent amount of part-time work experience. Your work experience must be for paid employment (paid salary or earned commission—volunteer work or internships that are unpaid do not qualify).
    • Be able to show that they have the necessary abilities, experience, and that they have carried out the fundamental responsibilities of the job.

    Skilled Work Experience

    The following categories of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) are used to categorise the skilled trades that are available under the Federal Skilled Trades Program:

    • Major Group 72, technical trades and transportation officers and controllers, excluding sub-major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers.
    • Major Group 73, general trades.
    • Major Group 82, supervisors working in natural resources, agriculture, and other production-related fields.
    • Major Group 83, occupations in natural resources and associated production.
    • Major Group 92, supervisors in the processing, manufacturing, and utility industries, as well as operators and controllers in the utility industry.
    • Major Group 93, central control and process operators, as well as aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors. This group does not include the members of Sub-Major Group 932, which are also known as aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors.
    • Minor Group 6320, cooks, butchers, and bakers.
    • Unit Group 62200 consists of chefs.

    You are required to provide evidence that you successfully completed the responsibilities outlined in the NOC’s lead statement of the occupational description. This covers all of the necessary responsibilities as well as the majority of the key responsibilities stated.

    Your application will be denied if you are unable to demonstrate that your prior experience is consistent with the requirements outlined in the NOC.

    Education Requirements

    The Federal Skilled Trades Program does not require applicants to have a certain level of schooling. There are, however, two different approaches that you may take in order to advance your position in the Express Entry pool.

    You are eligible to get credit for a certificate, diploma, or degree earned from a Canadian institution if you attended school in Canada. Secondary institution (also known as high school), post-secondary institution (also known as college).

    You are eligible to receive points for a completed educational credential if you have completed education in a country other than Canada if you have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report to earn immigration requirements from a designated organisation demonstrating that your education is equivalent to a completed certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian institution such as a secondary school (high school) or a post-secondary institution.

    Language Ability Requirements

    You are required to demonstrate your proficiency in either English or French before an independent language examiner who has been designated by the IRCC.

    In order to pass your test(s), you must, at the very least, demonstrate that you can fulfil the following requirements:

    • a minimum score of CLB 5 (English) or NCLC 5 (French) for both speaking and listening
    • reading and writing skills equivalent to at least a CLB 4 (English) or an NCLC 4 (French)

    In case you are granted an invitation to make an application for permanent residence, the test results you provide on the day you submit your application for permanent residence cannot be older than two years.

    Are you a Nigerian who wants to live in Canada? Talk to us about eligibility for the skilled trades program.

    Proof of Settlement Funds

    After you have completed your landing procedure for permanent residence in Canada, you will be required to demonstrate to IRCC that you have the finances to sustain yourself and your family, if you have one. However, if you are lawfully permitted to work in Canada and have an offer of employment that meets the requirements, you will not be required to fulfil this criterion.


    You have to be admissible to enter Canada. Before submitting an application for any Express Entry program, you must meet the conditions for entry into Canada. These are the inadmissible conditions:

    • You are a danger to Canada’s security, according to authorities
    • You have violated national or international human rights
    • You’ve got a criminal history
    • You are a member of an organised crime group
    • You suffer from a health issue that either increases danger on Canada’s healthcare system and endangers public health

    There are some persons who are not permitted entry into Canada. They are considered “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration legislation.

    In the following situations, a Canadian immigration officer will determine whether or not you are permitted to enter the country:

    • When you arrive at a port of entry
    • When you apply for a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

    You may be inadmissible for entry into Canada for a variety of reasons, including those pertaining to safety and security, criminal activity, or your medical condition.

    In most cases, if you are found to be inadmissible to Canada, you will not be permitted to enter the country. IRCC could grant you permission to stay temporarily in Canada if you can demonstrate that your trip to our neighbouring country is warranted by the conditions of your situation.

    There are a few paths available to you to overcome your criminal inadmissibility if you have been convicted of a crime.

    Eligible Occupations for the Federal Skilled Trades Program

    You need to have at least two years of continuous full-time or equal part-time paid employment in at least one of the following categories of Federal Skilled Trade Eligible Occupations during the last five years in order to qualify for this program:

    • 6321 Chefs
    • 6331 Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers – retail and wholesale
    • 6332 Bakers
    • 7201 Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
    • 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
    • 7203 Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting trades
    • 7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
    • 7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
    • 7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
    • 7232 Tool and die makers
    • 7233 Sheet metal workers
    • 7234 Boilermakers
    • 7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
    • 7236 Ironworkers
    • 7237 Welders and related machine operators
    • 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
    • 7242 Industrial electricians
    • 7243 Power system electricians
    • 7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
    • 7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
    • 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
    • 7247 Cable television service and maintenance technicians
    • 7251 Plumbers
    • 7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
    • 7253 Gas fitters
    • 7271 Carpenters
    • 7272 Cabinetmakers
    • 7281 Bricklayers
    • 7282 Concrete finishers
    • 7283 Tilesetters
    • 7284 Plasterers, drywall installers and finishers and lathers
    • 7291 Roofers and shinglers
    • 7292 Glaziers
    • 7293 Insulators
    • 7294 Painters and decorators (except interior decorators)
    • 7295 Floor covering installers
    • 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
    • 7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
    • 7303 Supervisors, printing and related occupations
    • 7304 Supervisors, railway transport operations
    • 7305 Supervisors, motor transport and other ground transit operators
    • 7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
    • 7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
    • 7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
    • 7314 Railway carmen/women
    • 7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
    • 7316 Machine fitters
    • 7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
    • 7321 Automotive service technicians, truck and bus mechanics and mechanical repairers
    • 7322 Motor vehicle body repairers
    • 7331 Oil and solid fuel heating mechanics
    • 7332 Appliance servicers and repairers
    • 7333 Electrical mechanics
    • 7334 Motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and other related mechanics
    • 7335 Other small engine and small equipment repairers
    • 7361 Railway and yard locomotive engineers
    • 7362 Railway conductors and brakemen/women
    • 7371 Crane operators
    • 7372 Drillers and blasters – surface, mining, quarrying and construction
    • 7373 Water well drillers
    • 7381 Printing press operators
    • 7384 Other trades and related occupations, n.e.c.
    • 8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
    • 8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
    • 8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
    • 8231 Underground production and development miners
    • 8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
    • 8241 Logging machinery operators
    • 8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialised livestock workers
    • 8255 Contractors and supervisors, landscaping, grounds maintenance and horticulture services
    • 8261 Fishing masters and officers
    • 8262 Fishermen/women
    • 9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
    • 9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
    • 9213 Supervisors, food, beverage and associated products processing
    • 9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
    • 9215 Supervisors, forest products processing
    • 9217 Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing
    • 9221 Supervisors, motor vehicle assembling
    • 9222 Supervisors, electronics manufacturing
    • 9223 Supervisors, electrical products manufacturing
    • 9224 Supervisors, furniture and fixtures manufacturing
    • 9226 Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturing
    • 9227 Supervisors, other products manufacturing and assembly
    • 9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
    • 9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators
    • 9235 Pulping, papermaking and coating control operators
    • 9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
    • 9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators

    We’re a team of seasoned immigration lawyers who’re knowledgeable in the best paths to get Nigerians to Canada.

    Certificate of Qualification

    A person in Canada who wishes to show that they are competent to engage in a skilled trade must first get a certificate of qualification. They have been granted permission to work in a certain province or territory after passing a certification test and satisfying all of the prerequisites for doing so.

    The organisation that is in charge of regulating trades in the particular province or territory, or an institution that is part of the federal government, will be the one to provide the certificate that you need to receive.

    According to the Constitution of Canada, the provinces and territories are the ones that are in charge of education and training. This indicates that they are often responsible for determining what qualifications must be met in order to engage in a skilled profession within their jurisdiction.

    If you want to become certified in your skilled trade, the organisation that is in charge of regulating your skilled trade in the province or territory of your choosing needs to evaluate your abilities, experience in the profession, and training in order to decide whether or not you are qualified to take an examination for certification.

    It is quite possible that in order to take the certification test, you will be required to make a trip to the appropriate province or territory. In addition, before you can take the test, you will probably need to get a job in Canada with a company that is willing to teach you and provide you some work experience.

    Application Procedure

    The Federal Skilled Trades Program application procedure under Express Entry is quite straightforward, and the government provides thorough instructions at each stage.

    Get a job offer or certificate of qualification in Canadian trades

    Depending on the trade you perform, you must have either a full-time work offer from a Canadian employer or a certificate of certification from a federal, provincial, or territory body. You may network with other trades professionals to learn about the market and employment prospects, or use job portals like Monster, Indeed, LinkedIn, or Glassdoor to locate jobs in your sector in Canada.

    Make sure you are eligible for Express Entry

    Use the government’s quiz to see whether you qualify for Express Entry before you start your application. A few questions about your country, language proficiency, age, level of education, and other factors will need to be answered. In addition to generating a personal reference number you may use to pre-fill a portion of your Express Entry profile later, the tool will subsequently offer information on which Express Entry programs you could be qualified for.

    Create an Express Entry profile and an IRCC account

    Create a profile on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website if you are determined to be FSTP eligible. The next step is to build an Express Entry profile for the FSTP, but before you do so, you need to have your documents together, including your passport and National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes, as well as pass an authorised language exam.

    Enter the applicant pool for Express Entry by submitting your profile

    When you submit your full Express Entry profile, it will be added to the candidate pool and stay there until either you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for PR or one year has passed, whichever comes first. While it is active, you must maintain your Express Entry profile updated and ensure that all of your information is correct.
    The system automatically determines your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score when you submit your Express Entry profile based on the data you supplied and provides a rank to your profile.

    Wait for an Invitation to Apply (ITA)

    The minimal CRS score cut-off for Express Entry programs is determined by periodic drawings, which are typically held every two weeks. Candidates are asked to submit an application for Canadian permanent residency (PR) if their CRS scores reach the cutoff.

    Speak to us for a tailored service and putting together a successful visa application.

    Comprehensive Ranking System

    The Canadian government created a merit-based points system that gives each applicant in the Express Entry pool a score in order to rank immigration hopefuls. The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) used for assigning points is known, and the score given to each applicant is known as the CRS score.

    A CRS score of 1200 points is given to each candidate whose profile is submitted to the Express Entry pool of applicants. The Canadian government holds an Express Entry lottery every two weeks or so, during which the top applicants are sent invitations to apply (ITAs) for permanent residency.

    Once a candidate is in the Express Entry pool, there are several options for them to raise their CRS score. The applicant’s language proficiency, education, job experience, and age all significantly influence the CRS points awarded. Having a sibling in Canada, speaking French well, getting a job offer there, or earning a nomination from a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) are all additional points that may be earned.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Nigerians may submit an application for the Federal Skilled Trades program. However, only persons who meet the requirements will be approved.

    IAS has knowledgeable immigration lawyers with years of expertise. They are also knowledgeable with Canadian immigration regulations. For professional assessment and guidance on your application, get in touch with our staff. We can go through your paperwork and advise you on how to submit your MPNP application in the most effective manner.

    Rejection may be terrifying but if you let us assist you with your application, you can prevent it, improve your chances of acceptance, and save money on reapplying.

    Give us a call right now at +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 to learn more about the ways in which we might be of assistance to you. Alternatively, leave us a message online.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us