Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

F-2 Visa for Nigerians

If you are the spouse or unmarried child of a U.S. student and wish to travel to the U.S. to stay with them, you may be eligible for an F-2 visa.

For more information about the F-2 visa, including details about the eligibility requirements, application process, and to get advice that suits your situation, reach out to any of our immigration lawyers today. You can also call our Lagos office at +23413438882 our U.S. office at +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS USA Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a USA visa or permit, IAS USA immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’s track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to the United States, we can help businesses and individuals achieve their goals.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Compassionate support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are well-versed in US immigration matters.

    Regardless of what your USA immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Be Reunited With Your Family?

    We have successfully assisted numerous Nigerians in reuniting them with their families in the US. If you need help with your F-2 visa we can support you with your application. Let us handle all the complexities and make your travel plans as stress-free as possible.

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    Overview of the F-2 Visa

    The F-2 visa is one of U.S.’ nonimmigrant visas, which allows the spouse or unmarried child of an F-1 student visa holder to live in the United States.

    The spouse or unmarried child can come to the U.S. and live with the student as a dependent until they finish their studies.

    Before the F-2 visa is granted, the applicant must meet certain financial and eligibility requirements.

    The F-2 visa will allow the dependent to stay in the US., study part-time and travel in and out of the U.S. as long as the family member still holds the F-1 status.

    There is no cap on the number of F-2 visas approved by the USCIS each year. If the applicant meets the criteria, their application will be considered.

    Eligibility Requirements for Nigerian Dependents

    You must meet certain eligibility requirements before applying for an F-2 visa.

    Firstly, you must have a family member who holds or has applied for an F-1 student visa.

    You must also either be:

    • The spouse of the student on an F-1 visa, or
    • Under 21, unmarried and the child of the student on an F-1 visa.

    Additionally, you must

    • Show that you can support yourself and any other dependent travelling with you. How much funds to show for F2 visa depends on the amount stated in Form I-120.
    • Prove that you intend to return to Nigeria at the end of the student’s s

    What Are the Required Documents?

    When applying for the F-2 visa, you are required to present certain documents. Here are some of them:

    • Your ECOWAS passport. This passport should still be valid for at least 6 months after the visa expires. Every dependent applying for the visa must present their passport.
    • The confirmation page of Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Online Visa Application.
    • Your receipt of the application fee payment.
    • Your interview appointment letter.
    • Your photograph taken no earlier than 6 months before your interview date.
    • Your Form I-120, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrants (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students from the school. Every dependent must present their own Form I-120.
    • The interview fee receipt.
    • One copy of the F-1 visa holder’s Form I-120.
    • One copy of the F-1 visa holder’s passport.
    • One copy of the F-1 visa holder’s visa if they are already in the U.S.
    • Proof of relationship with the F-1 visa holder. This could be a wedding affidavit, marriage or birth certificate.

    Our expert team is here to guide you through the process seamlessly

    How to Apply for the F-2 Visa


    Like many U.S. visas, the F-2 dependent visa application is divided into three stages. First, your spouse or parent who is the F-1 visa holder must obtain Form I-120 for you and your dependents, if any.

    Secondly, you must apply for the F-2 visa online.

    Lastly, you must attend an interview with the U.S. Consulate in Lagos or Embassy in Abuja.

    Form I-120, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status

    The first step for your F-2 visa application starts with the F1 visa holder getting Form 1-120. Form I-120 is obtained from a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school.

    Your family member must request this from the Designated School Official (DSO). The DSO outlines the purpose of the visa, the financial cost and how long the study program will last.

    The institution will now issue a signed Form I-120 for each dependent on the student’s lists. Upon receipt of Form I-120, you can now proceed to the next stage.

    File Form DS-160 Online

    With Form I-120, you can now complete Form DS-160 online. You must visit the U.S. embassy’s website to do this. Upon completing the form, USCIS receives all your personal information.

    Having all your documents handy when making the online application is advisable.

    Note that the application page times out after a period of inactivity. You will need to sign in with your code to continue your application.

    You must not complete the application in one sitting, but you have to do so within 30 days.

    Upon completion and submission, you will see a confirmation page with a barcode. You have to sign this page, print it and then take it to your visa interview.

    Schedule an Interview

    This is the last step when applying for an F-2 visa. You must attend a visa interview. Before doing so, you must have paid the visa application fee. The receipt of this payment is one of the documents you have to present at the interview.

    Applicants who are less than 14 are generally exempt from the interview.

    You can do F1 and F2 visa interviews together with your spouse or parent. And this is usually ideal so you and the intending student can schedule an interview together.

    Due to the volume of applications, it is vital to schedule your interview early enough. Wait times also vary for each Embassy or Consulate.

    F-2 visa interview questions are designed to determine if the reasons why you want to go to the U.S. are valid. Be prepared to submit digital prints and other supporting documents during the interview.

    After your F-2 visa is approved, you can now make your trip to the U.S.

    If you are travelling to the United States for the first time on an F-2 visa, you must either travel with them or after them.

    Where to Schedule Your Visa Interview in Nigeria

    You can schedule an interview at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos at 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos. Alternatively, you can do this at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja at 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, Abuja.

    We help you organize the necessary paperwork for a complete application.

    What Are the Visa Fees And Processing Times

    F2 Visa Processing Times

    After the F-1 study visa holder applies for Form I-120, it takes 7 working days to get the signed form. This will be forwarded to the USCIS.

    Due to interview appointment wait times, it can take from 3 to 14 days to get a decision on the application. There is no specific appointment wait time as it varies from one embassy to another.

    After the visa is approved, your passport will take 7 to 10 days to get to you.

    F-2 Visa Fees

    You will need to pay $190 when filing Form DS-160.

    You will also pay $185 as visa application fees.

    Note that you will pay these fees for every dependent travelling with you

    What Are the Limitations of an F-2 Visa?

    The F-2 visa is tied to the F-1 visa, so there are limitations regarding what you can do.

    You can travel in and out of the U.S. and also enrol in part-time study. You are not permitted to get into full-time study as a spouse. Dependent children who are of school age can attend K-12 schools in the U.S. For the dependent children to attend high school, they must first adjust their status.

    You cannot also work with an F-2 visa. If you must work, then it must be unpaid or volunteer work.

    You cannot also get a social security number because you are not permitted to work.

    Do I Have Access to Healthcare as an F-2 Visa Holder?

    As an F-2 visa holder, you have access to healthcare, but note that the cost of healthcare may be too high for you if you do not have insurance.


    Allow our team of legal experts to help you with the process of F-2 Visa for Nigerians

    Can I Renew an F-2 Visa?

    It is possible to renew an F-2 visa if you meet the eligibility requirements. And the requirement is that the F-1 visa holder must have gotten a renewal also. To renew an F-2 visa, you must file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

    While filing Form I-539, you must also show that you are related to the F-1 visa holder. The documents you presented to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Nigeria to prove your relationship will usually suffice.

    Lastly, you must also show the USCIS that you have enough funds to take care of you and your dependents, if any.

    Can an F-2 Visa Holder Apply for a Green Card?

    There are two pathways for you to get a green card as an F-2 visa holder. The first pathway is via the dependent route. If your family member on an F-1 visa gets a green card, you automatically qualify for a green card too.

    Alternatively, you can apply for a green card for yourself. To do this, you must have an employer who is ready to sponsor you. If you don’t have a sponsor, you must adjust your status to another visa before applying for a green card.

    Can an F-2 Visa Holder Adjust their Status?

    An F-2 visa holder can adjust their status in the U.S. If you want to study in the U.S., you must apply to a SEVP-accredited school. After that, you can apply for adjustment of status by filing Form I-485.

    You can study in the U.S. without restrictions if your application is approved.

    How Long is an F-2 Visa Valid?

    The F-2 visa is valid for as long as the F-1 student visa is valid. Once the F-1 visa expires, you will need to return to Nigeria with the F-1 visa holder.

    How Can IAS Help with F-2 Visa Application?

    If you want to apply for an F-2 visa, IAS can help. We know that the U.S. visa application process is lengthy, complex, and daunting for most people. We can help you make sense of the application process and also help you prepare your documents.

    We can help you make an error-free application so you don’t risk rejection and separation from your loved one.

    IAS has a team of expert lawyers with experience dealing with all kinds of U.S. visa applications. We have helped many Nigerians achieve their dreams of going to the U.S.

    We have the tools and expertise to assist you, regardless of your personal circumstances or the complexity of your case. We can also help you appeal in case you have a visa denial.

    Whether you’re looking for assistance with the US F-2 visa requirements, want to apply for a totally different U.S. visa or are interested in speaking with an immigration expert, we can help. Our team in Lagos is made up of expert immigration lawyers who can guide you through the application process.

    For more information about the services we provide and how we can help you, reach out to a member of our team today. Call us at +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929 or contact us online today.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at our Lagos office, all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    If you turn 21 in the U.S. while on F-2 status, you will have to return to Nigeria. To prevent this, you must apply for another kind of visa that will permit you to stay in the U.S. You can apply for a student visa of your own or get an employer to help sponsor your green card application.

    The F-2 visa grace period is a time given after the visa has expired to leave the U.S. The grace period of the F-2 visa is the same as that of the F-1 visa – 60 days. At the end of the 60 days, the dependent must leave the U.S. with the F-1 visa holder.

    The only way around this is if the F-1 visa applies for an adjustment of status or visa extension. If the F-2 visa holder does not leave within 60 days, that will be regarded as an overstay and may affect future U.S. visa applications.

    The USCIS does not place any travel restrictions on the holders of the F-2 visa. You can leave the U.S. and re-enter as many times as you want, provided your visa is still valid.

    There is no specific time as to how long it will take to change status from F-2 to F-1. However, it is estimated that it will take USCIS 6 to 12 months to process the application.

    The F-2 visa holder can stay in the U.S. while the F-1 visa holder travels abroad. So long as the F-1 holder’s visa is still valid.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us