Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

UK Care Worker Visa for Nigeria

The Health and Care Worker Visa is part of the Skilled Worker visa available in the UK for foreign nationals who wish to work in the NHS, with an NHS Supplier, or in adult care.

Applying for a visa for the UK from Nigeria can be a complicated process, especially if you plan to have your family join you. We are here to help. Contact IAS online today or call us in the UK on +44 (0) 3316300929 or in Nigeria on +23413438882.

You can also speak with our expert team of immigration lawyers in-person by visiting our Lagos office.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS For Your Work Visa

    Our team of immigration lawyers can provide the right support to ensure you secure a work visa for yourself or your employees.


    Your immigration lawyer will consider your case and offer bespoke advice, and they will advise you on the optimum route to take to achieve your desired result.

    By working with IAS for your or your employee’s work visa, you make sure that you have an expert eye and hands on your case to boost your chances of success.

    We ensure you are applying for the most suitable work visa to boost your chances of success.

    We provide advice on the appropriate documentary evidence required to support your case.

    You get a personalised approach from a qualified and experienced immigration lawyer

    You work with you and liaise with the Home Office on your behalf to ensure the best possible outcome.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Want to Work in the UK? 

    We are an experienced company that has been helping Nigerian nationals move their lives to the UK for years, offering personalised advice and guidance based on our up to date immigration legislation in both the UK and Nigeria.

    Let us support you with this life-changing step

    Nigerian Emigration

    For Nigerian emigration matters, please call +23413438882 or +44 (0) 3316300929

    Other Immigration and Emigration Matters

    For immigration/emigration to/from other countries, please call:

    US –  +1 844 290 6312

    Ireland –  (+353) 061 518 025

    UK –  (+44) 333 4149244

    What is the UK Care Worker Visa?

    The Health and Care Worker Visa is offered to foreign nationals who wish to work with the NHS, with an NHS supplier, or in adult care.

    Citizens from Nigeria must apply for this visa if they wish to work within these sectors. If you are from Nigeria and hold dual citizenship in Ireland, then you will not need to apply for this visa, as it is not required for Irish nationals.

    Am I Eligible for the UK Health and Care Worker Visa?


    To be eligible for this visa, you must ensure the following:

    • You are over 18 years old
    • You have a certificate of sponsorship from a UK Home Office approved employer
    • That your job is eligible – you can check by looking up the eligible occupations and codes for the Skilled Worker visa. A 4-digit occupation code will be printed certificate of sponsorship
    • Have at least £1270 in your bank account at the time of applying
    • Are applying for your visa within 3 months of receiving your certificate of sponsorship
    • Have a clean criminal record.

    English Requirements

    You must also prove that you can read, write, speak and understand English at atleast a level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.

    • Ways that you can prove your English knowledge are outlined below:
    • Pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) from an approved provider
    • Have a GCSE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English, gained during time you spent in a UK school
    • Have a degree-level academic qualification that was taught in English – you must apply through Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) if you studied in Nigeria or another country abroad.

    Salary Requirements

    In general, in order to apply for the Skilled Worker visa, you must be paid a minimum amount, either:

    • At least £26,200 per year, or
    • At least £10.75 per hour, or
    • At least the going rate for the occupation that you work in.

    However, for some healthcare jobs, there is a different salary criteria:

    •  You must be paid at least £20,960 per year, or more if your role’s going rate is higher, based on the National pay scales tables.

    These requirements are sometimes based on where in the UK you plan to live and work.

    The types of jobs that are eligible for this visa include:

    • Medical Practitioners, such as Anaesthetists, Psychiatrists, or Surgeons
    • Psychologists
    • Pharmacists
    • Opticians
    • Nurses
    • Midwives.

    We understand it can be tricky to figure out whether your job is eligible for the Health and Care Worker visa. We are here to help. Contact us online today, or call us in our UK office on +44 (0) 3316300929 or in our Lagos office on +23413438882

    Our expert team is here to guide you through the process of obtaining your UK Health and Care Worker Visa from Nigeria.

    What Documents Do I Need to Apply for the UK Health and Care Worker Visa?


    In most cases, you will be required to submit the following documents:

    • A valid passport or other travel document that clearly states your identity and nationality
    • Proof of your knowledge of English – you will need at least a level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale
    • Your Certificate of Sponsorship
    • The name of the employer that has sponsored you
    • The reference number supplied with your certificate of sponsorship that your employer provides you, as well as the sponsor licence number
    • The job title you have been offered
    • The annual salary you have been offered
    • The job’s occupation code.

    Depending on your circumstances, you may also be required to provide the following:

    • Proof that you can financially support yourself in the UK with personal savings or other means (you can provide this evidence in the form of bank statements)
    • Proof of your relationship with your children or your partner if they are applying with you (this can be proven with a marriage certificate or birth certificate)
    • If you are applying from Nigeria or another country that requires you to take the test, you will be required to take a tuberculosis test and submit the results
    • A UK PhD certificate or Ecctis reference number (formerly UK NARIC number) if applicable
    • A blank page available in your passport to stick the Health and Care Worker visa into
    • The relevant documents translated into English or Welsh, if applicable.

    Criminal Record Certificate

    If you are applying from outside the UK, you must provide a criminal record certificate unless you have been hired as one of the following:

    • A Biological Scientist (occupation code 2112)
    • A Biochemist (occupation code 2112)
    • A Physical Scientist (occupation code 2113).

    If you have lived in multiple countries, you will be required to provide a criminal record certificate from each country you have resided in. The rules depend on your age and are as follows:

    • If you are under 28 years old, you should provide a certificate from any nation you have lived in for more than 1 year since you were 18 years old
    • If you are 28 or above, you should provide a certificate from any country you’ve lived in for any period over the past 10 years.

    How Do I Apply for the UK Health and Care Worker Visa?


    All applications for the UK Health and Care Worker visa must be done online. If you have mitigating circumstances that mean you need to apply in person, then you can do so at your local immigration office.

    All applicants for the UK Health and Care Worker Visa must apply for the Skilled Worker Visa. Within this application, you will need to check the box that claims you are applying as a Health and Care Worker.

    The online application process allows you to keep the application as a draft until fully submitted, so you may apply over a period of time.


    In order to apply for the UK Health and Care Worker visa, you will be required to provide proof of your identity. This is required of all foreign nationals who wish to live long-term in the UK.

    Depending on how recent your passport is or whether you are using a non-Nigerian passport to apply, you will have to provide proof of identity by either:

    • Providing fingerprints and having a passport photo taken at a visa application centre for your biometric residence permit, or
    • Downloading the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app and scanning your identity document. You will be required to create a UK Visas and Immigration account, if you don’t have one already.

    When you provide your identity information, you will be told what the next steps are for you in your application process.

    Sometimes, you will be required to book an appointment. If this is the case, you will need to do the following:

    • Travel to the nearest visa application centre in your area – please note that this could be in a different country
    • Be able to leave your passport and documents with the visa application centre whilst they process your application. Be sure not to book any travel where you are required to take your passport during the application processing period.

    Applying for visas can be complicated, especially when you are applying from abroad. You can count on us to help. Contact IAS today online or call us in the UK on +44 (0) 3316300929 or in Nigeria on. +23413438882 

    Connect with us today to take the first step toward a fulfilling healthcare career in the UK.

    How Long Does the Health and Care Worker Visa Take to Process?

    In general, assuming you have submitted all relevant identification details and documents, you should receive a confirmation within a three week period.

    Some applications may take longer depending on your personal circumstances, especially if you have a criminal record or have family joining you that requires additional applications and therefore more potential for providing incorrect or incomplete information.

    You may be asked to provide further documentation or be asked to attend an interview.

    Some candidates are able to have their application fast tracked and could receive a decision within 1 to 5 working days. If you are eligible, you will be notified when you apply.

    How Much Does it Cost to Apply for the Health and Care Worker Visa from Nigeria?


    In general, there is a standard application fee and a minimum amount of money you should be able to prove you have access to in your bank account that is required in order to support yourself in the UK when you apply for the visa. You will be told the total amount that is required for you to pay during the application process.

    Application fees

    Application fees are as follows, and remain the same whether you apply from inside or outside of the UK:

    • Up to 3 years Health and Care Worker Visa – £247 per applicant
    • More than 3 years Health and Care Worker visa – £479 per applicant.

    Proof of Funds

    Within the application, you will need to provide evidence, e.g. in the form of a bank statement, to prove that you can support yourself financially once you have arrived in the UK.

    The minimum amount that the UK accepts as proof of funds is £1270, and you need to have had this amount or higher available to you for a minimum of 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for the Skilled Worker visa.

    Some applicants are exempt from needing to prove their funds. This applies to:

    • Applicants who have been living and working in the UK with a valid visa for a minimum of 12 months
    • Applicants whose employer has offered to cover their costs of living during their first month living in the UK. Your employer must complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ under the ‘additional data’ section on your certificate of sponsorship.

    If your partner and/or children are joining you, you will also need to provide evidence that they can support themselves or will be supported financially during your stay in the UK. You will need to prove the following finances:

      • £285 for your partner
      • £315 for one child
      • £200 for each additional child.

    Please note that there may be additional costs during the application process, such as needing to translate documents, take English exams to prove your English language skills, and any travel that may be required if you have to apply in person.

    Was your visa application refused? Get in touch with us now for help.

    How Do I Apply for the Care Worker Visa with My Partner or Children from Nigeria?

    The UK allows foreign nationals applying for the Health and Care Worker Visa to bring their partner or children to live and work with them. They will be considered ‘dependants’ in your application.

    Usually, the dependants’ visas will be in line with yours, and will begin and expire on the same dates.

    The following relations will be considered as eligible as your dependant in your application:

    • Your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner, who must prove that they:
      • Are in a UK recognised civil partnership or marriage with you
      • Have been cohabiting with you for at least two years by the date you apply
    • Your child under 18 years old
    • Your child over 18 years old, if they:
      • Are already living with you in the UK as your dependant
      • Are not married or in a civil partnership
      • Do not have children of their own
      • Are financially supported by you.

    Proof of evidence of your relationship will be required in your application. This can usually be provided in the form of a marriage certificate, a legal civil partnership document, or birth certificates. Each of these documents must be translated into English or Welsh if they are documented in a different language.

    You will also require the following documents if you need to prove that your dependant lives with you:

    • Bank statements
    • Credit card bills
    • Driving licences
    • NHS registration document
    • Official letters from educational institutions, if applicable.

    Taking on Additional Work or a Second Job with a Health and Care Worker Visa


    If you are working in the UK as a healthcare professional, you are entitled to take on additional paid work so long as you continue to work in the role you have been sponsored for by your employer. Unpaid volunteer work is also allowed on the Skilled Worker visa.

    As of August 27 2023, you will need to update your visa if you take on more than 20 hours of additional paid work per week. This additional job must:

    • Have the same occupation code and be at the same skill level as your sponsored role
    • Be a job that has a shortage of skilled workers.

    You do not need to update your visa if you work less than 20 hours a week in another job.

    You will need to update your visa if your second job is not eligible for the Health and Care Worker visa, or is not listed as a shortage occupation.

    Updating Your Visa

    To update your Health and Care Worker visa, you need to:

    • Obtain a certificate of sponsorship from the second employer
    • Write a letter explaining your situation and why you need to update or change your visa.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Applying to live and work in the UK as a Health and Care Worker is an exciting prospect, and offers foreign nationals many opportunities for career advancement for the applicants, as well as exciting working and educational prospects for any family members joining them in the UK. The NHS is a beloved national institution in the UK, and becoming part of its workforce is considered highly valued  both in the UK and abroad.

    Applying for visas from Nigeria can be especially complicated, particularly if you have a large family that you wish to join you in the UK, or if you come from rural parts of the country. The application process can be long, and ensuring that you have all the right documentation can be difficult.

    That is why we are here. IAS has a team of expert immigration lawyers that can assist you every step of the way during your application, and can make sure that you and any loved ones arrive safely and comfortably in the UK to begin your new career. For more information, contact us online or call us today in the UK on+44 (0) 3316300929 or in Nigeria on +23413438882. We are here to help.

    Explore your path to a UK Care Worker Visa from Nigeria with expert guidance. Let our professionals assist you in every step. Begin your journey now

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Yes, along with 53 other countries, as of 2023 Nigeria has been placed on the Red List for active NHS recruitment. This is due to the fact that Nigeria is struggling to meet its national quota for health care professionals in the country, and therefore targeted recruitment campaigns from the UK have been halted in Nigeria.

    This does not mean that you cannot apply to work in the health and social care sectors in the UK, but it might mean that you may not be able to access visa sponsorship or incentivised schemes that will support you in your move to the UK.

    Yes. After 3 years, you may be eligible for permanent residency in the UK, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain. If you are married to a UK citizen, you may be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years. You must live in the country for a set amount of days per year in order to qualify for eligibility.

    No, you cannot apply for this visa without a valid job offer and a Certificate of Sponsorship from an approved UK employer, as the Skilled Worker visa is available only to foreign nationals whose skills are filling a gap in the UK labour market. You must be employed by a health and social care employer.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us