Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm

Student Visa for Spain

The Spain Student Visa is used by holders to study, train, or work part-time in Spain. Different types of Spanish student visas exist which are valid for various lengths of time.

If you’d like to get more information about Spain’s student visa or ask any other questions about immigrating to Spain, please reach out to trusted immigration advisers today. You may call Immigration Advice Service on +44 333 4149244 or contact us online


Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Benefits of Choosing IAS Spain Immigration Lawyers

    When it comes to obtaining a Spain visa or permit, IAS Spain immigration lawyers are well-equipped to help you.

    With IAS’ track record of successfully helping clients visit or immigrate to Ireland successfully, we can help businesses and individuals achieve their goals.

    Our dedicated immigration lawyers provide our services through a comprehensive and personalised approach. With IAS, you enjoy:

    Expert support from an experienced immigration lawyer dedicated to your success

    Support in gathering supporting documents and completing a high-quality application.

    Confidence that your case is being handled by an experienced team.

    In-house document checks done by lawyers who are accredited by the IBA in Madrid and Seville.

    Regardless of what your Spain immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support you. Call us or enquire online to learn more about how we can help you.

    Services we Provide

    Services we Provide

    Overview of Spain Student Visa

    If you want to study in Spain, you may need to apply for a Spanish Student Visa. With a Student Visa for Spain, you will be able to study and work part-time (up to a maximum of 30 hours per week) in the country. You will only require a student visa if you are from a country that is not already on the visa exemption list for the Schengen Area group of countries.

    The main type of visa used to study in Spain is the Type D visa, which allows holders to study in Spain for periods longer than 90 days.

    Study periods of less than 90 days do not require a dedicated student visa.

    With the Type D visa, you can get a TIE residence card (Foreigner Identity Card) for foreign students and work in Spain.

    The Spanish student visa can also be used for those looking to under training, internships and voluntary work in Spain.

    Eligibility Requirements for Spain Student Visa

    Eligible Activities for Spanish Student Visa

    To be eligible for a Spanish student visa, activities that are meant to be carried out in Spain by the applicant should be one of the following:

    • Doctorate studies
    • Training
    • Teaching assistant
    • Internships at private or public entities that do not qualify for internship visa
    • Full-time studies at an accredited school or educational center for a diploma, certificate, or degree
    • Au pair programs
    • Conversation class assistants
    • Volunteering for programs in areas of general and/or public interest
    • Exchange programs for secondary schools with a scientific centre or accredited school

    If you are planning to study at a higher education institution, you must enroll in one that is officially recognised in Spain.

    Financial Requirements

    Students that are travelling alone to Spain need to demonstrate that they have the financial resources to cover the costs of their stay and return. You should note that a job in Spain cannot be considered as your primary source of money.

    The minimum required amount is equal to Spain’s Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). For the first accompanying family member, an additional 75% is added while 50% is added for additional family members. The amount can be reduced if documentation is presented to show that accommodation for the whole stay has been paid for in advance.

    As of early 2024, the Spanish IPREM is €600 a month, or €7,200 per year. However, note that this may be subject to change at some point in 2024, and will likely rise again in subsequent years.

    Applicants should pay the fees required for their Spanish visa application.

    Health Insurance Requirements

    Applicants are required to have health insurance that can cover their medical expenses while they are in Spain. All risks that are insured by Spain’s public health system would need to be covered by the insurance policy.

    The insurance plan would need to cover the whole period of stay and be valid not only throughout the whole country but also in all Schengen States. The minimum coverage set for the health insurance plan is €30,000.

    The plans you can choose for health insurance can differ, depending on your country of origin. The health insurance company you select must be allowed to provide its services in Spain.

    Find out if you’re eligible for a Student Visa in Spain. Call us for assistance.

    How Do I Apply for a Spanish Student Visa?

    Before the Interview

    The application should be submitted 90 days before the date you plan to use the student visa in Spain. It helps to submit early so that you can give the embassy enough time to process your application.

    If you’re applying for a Spanish student visa while in Spain, Form EX-00 will need to be used. You may make a request to the Government Delegation or Sub-Delegation in the province where your studies take place. The request must be made at least a month before the expiration of your stay.

    Those applying for the student visa from their country of origin or residence have to use the National Visa Application form. Their application may need to be made through the Spanish consulate in their country. If permitted by the consulate, a student can apply to a consulate with jurisdiction over the region where they will attend school.

    Applications need to be made in person. A visa interview may need to be scheduled but some Spanish consulates may not require that you schedule an appointment to apply for the visa. If you have to schedule an interview, it may be done by phone or through the consulate’s website or a third-party visa centre’s website.

    It should be noted that if an applicant is a minor, one of their parents or an accredited representative has to submit the application for them.

    Interview for Spanish Student Visa

    At the interview, supporting documents are to be submitted. You may also need to answer questions about the purpose of the trip.

    On the day of the interview, you could be required to provide your biometric data. This would mean that you would have your fingerprints and an image of your face taken.

    The consular office provides proof of receipt of the application with a code that can be used by an applicant to check the status of procedures being carried out for their application.

    As the consular office reserves the right to make requests for additional documents or information, you may need to be prepared to provide more documents or to be called in to answer additional questions.

    What Documents Do I Need to Provide?

    Document requirements for Spanish Student Visa

    Non-Spanish documents may have to be legalized and apostilled by the notary or Spanish authority. Where applicable, the documents would need to be submitted with official translation into Spanish.

    As an applicant for the Spain Student Visa, you’ll need to provide these documents:

    • Visa application form
    • Criminal record check certificate (for those spending over 180 days or aged above 18 years)
    • One passport-size photograph
    • Passport that is valid for the duration of the stay
    • Evidence of acceptance for studies, training, volunteering or internship
    • Proof of sufficient funds to finance stay in Spain, such as:
      • Confirmation from a university confirming that they will cover accommodation and meal costs
      • Proof of scholarship
      • Proof of funds via 6 months’ worth of bank statements
      • Documents from your parents or guardians assuming all associated costs of living and studying in Spain, as well as birth certificates or legal custody certificates, passport of the parents or legal guardians, confirmation from employer stating their qualification, starting date and remuneration, and 6 months of bank statements
    • Medical certificate showing the applicant does not suffer from diseases that could lead to serious consequences for public health.
    • Proof of health insurance
    • Criminal record check certificate
    • Proof of residence in the consular district

    Document Requirements for Spanish Student Visa Applicants that are Minors

    Different documents may be required for minors applying for their Spanish student visa, in addition to those listed above:

    • ID or passport of representative
    • Evidence of representative’s capacity
    • Proof of authorisation of legal representatives

    If a student is a minor, the visa application form must be signed by the student’s parent or a duly accredited representative. Accreditation may be demonstrated using a notarized letter or letter from the applicant’s university or school.

    Another document that would need to be provided for a minor is an original and copy of the parents’ or guardians’ noted authorisation for a minor to travel to Spain and identification of the individual responsible for the minor while in Spain.

    An original and notarised copy of the power of attorney signed by a non-travelling parent or guardian should be submitted for minors that are travelling with just one of their parents or guardians.

    Also, an original and notarised copy of the power of attorney, signed by both parents or guardians, and authenticated with the Apostle of The Hague should be submitted for a minor that is travelling alone or with an authorised person. Copies of both parents’ or guardians’ passports will also be required.

    An authorised person travelling with a minor would have to provide:

    • Full legal name
    • Passport
    • DNI or NIE number
    • Address
    • Travel dates and route

    The person responsible for a minor while they are staying in Spain must submit a certificate that shows they are not a sex offender. The certificate can be obtained from the Registro Central de Delincuentes Sexuales of the Spanish Ministry of Justice or express permission for the Spanish government to get the certificate. A Declaration, authenticated by the Spanish notary public, would also need to be provided to show that the person officially takes responsibility for the child.

    Final divorce and custody filings for children of divorced parents need to be provided. The filings would need to be authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish.

    Document Requirements for Au Pairs

    An applicant who wants to get a student visa in Spain as an au pair would need to provide a copy and original of the au pair agreement, signed by the parties (student and host family).

    Document requirements for Volunteer Programme

    Applicants that are taking part in volunteer programmes will need to make sure that they can, in addition to medical insurance, provide copies of the civil liberty insurance policy taken by the organisation they are volunteering with.

    Application for Spanish Student Visa can be complex. We are here to help you through the process

    Fees and Processing Times for Spain Student Visa

    The fee for Spanish student visas can vary, depending on the country you are from. For example, the fee can be €80 for nationals of certain countries while nationals of other countries such as the United States of America may have to pay €160. You may need to consult with the consular offices about the different rates applied.

    While the legal period for processing the student visa for Spain is 1 month, it can take 7 – 10 weeks for the visa to be issued after an application is submitted. The processing times can differ, depending on the consulate.

    What Happens If My Application is Refused?

    If your application is rejected, a notification will be sent to you in writing. The letter will explain the reasons used to decide on your student visa application for Spain.

    Applicants can submit an appeal to the consular office for reconsideration within a month of the day after the date they receive the notification of their application rejection. Also, applicants may apply for judicial review with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within 2 months from the day after the date on which they receive notification of the rejection or dismissal of their appeal.

    Your passport may be kept with the consulate while your student visa application is processed. Applicants are to be informed by the consular office on the process to return their passports and other original documentation.

    What Happens After My Application is Approved?

    Some consulates may mail your passport back to you, with your visa. Other consulates may require that successful visa applicants get their passports and visas in person. Additional instructions on how to get your visa and passport after a successful application can be found on the consulate website.

    Your study visa will be valid for your entire stay if you are meant to be studying in Spain for no more than 6 months. In this case, there won’t be a need for you to get a Foreigner Identity Card.

    The visa may be valid for only 90 days if your study stay is for over 6 months. You would need to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a month of your entry into Spain. The card has a foreigners identification number which serves as an identification and tax number in Spain for foreigners. It can be used for economic activities in Spain such as opening a bank account and getting a telephone contract.

    The application for your Foreigner Identity Card can be made at the Foreign National’s Office or the police station of the province where the permit was processed. You should register through the city’s census before making the application. You may also get your landlord to sign and verify that you live at your address in Spain.

    The Foreigner Identity Card replaces the student visa while you’re studying in Spain. The card is usually valid for a year. As long as you meet the requirements, it can be renewed.

    Extending the Student Visa for Spain

    If you’d like to continue living in Spain for longer than the duration of your Student Visa, you could try and convert the visa to a work permit. To do this, you would need to have lived in Spain with your student visa for three consecutive years. You should ensure that you renew your Foreigner Identity Card over the years you completed your studies so that your student years can count towards other types of residence applications in Spain.

    The Foreigner Identity Card is valid for a year and can be renewed annually. To renew the card, you will need to show that:

    • You have made good use of the course
    • Passed all the courses needed to continue your studies
    • Your studies are not yet complete.
    • Your criminal records in Spain are clear
    • Your studies are not yet complete
    • You won’t switch to another course

    You should not switch studies before applying for a renewal of your student visa. If you switch to a program that is different from the one you chose for your initial student visa application, you would have to make a new application.

    You can apply for the renewal up to 60 days before the card expires and up to 90 days after the expiration date. After making the application, a document will be given to you which serves as proof of your renewal application. The document allows you to stay in Spain legally, even after the expiration of your visa.

    Unlike Spanish student visas for over 180 days, student visas that are for up to 180 days cannot be renewed or extended. This means that after receiving your visa for up to 180 days, you may need to plan for having to leave Spain before the expiration of the visa.

    Get our expert help today. We can make your dreams to study in Spain a reality.

    How Can IAS Help?

    Every year, hundreds of thousands of student visas are granted around the world to people hoping to travel for their studies. In recent times, the number of international student enrollment increased by 36% in Spain. While many students can get visas to travel for their education, a lot of other students fail to get the visas they need to carry out their studies.

    Applicants have to ensure they have the correct documentation for the application process and also make sure they have registered with the appropriate organisations to meet the eligibility requirements. This can seem very complicated. Thankfully, you don’t have to go through the application process alone.

    We will help you with all the steps of the student visa application process, from determining your eligibility to gathering the documents needed to make your application. Our team of lawyers and immigration experts have extensive experience in assisting people to successfully apply for their Spanish student visas.

    Immigration Advisory Services has the expertise needed to get applications for Spanish student visas processed quickly.

    To get more information about our immigration services and how we can help you, call us on +44 333 4149244, or contact us online today.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    You can use a tourist visa to enter Spain and study in the country for no more than 90 days. This means that you’d be able to enter Spain, enrol in a course, and apply for a student visa without having to leave the country.

    With a student visa for Spain, you can travel to any of the Schengen countries for up to 90 days in a 180-day period.

    Online courses do not meet the eligibility requirements for Spain’s student visa. Physical presence in the country is not required to complete online courses. An application made with an online course as the activity for stay would be rejected.

    Student visas for Spain are for the length of the course. This means that you may have to get a new visa if you want to stay in Spain after graduation. You could also apply for an extension.

    If, because of your nationality, you’re not required to get a visa to visit Spain as a tourist, you can stay in the country for up to 90 days after the expiration of your student visa or Foreigner Identity Card.

    You may be able to study in Spain without IELTS. However, it is ultimately up to the education provider to determine the specific entry requirements for their courses, which may or may not include IELTS.

    It is important to confirm the language requirements for your course of study with the course provider as the entry requirements for educational institutions can differ.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us