Leading Immigration Lawyers With Over 9000 Applications Approved
Call +44 (0)333 414 9244 | Mon - Sun, 8.30am -6pm
Contact Us

Temporary Residence Permit Spain

Foreign nationals from non-EU countries who intend to live, work, study, or reunite with family members in Spain for more than 90 days must obtain a temporary residence permit.

To learn more about the temporary residence permit in Spain and for immediate help with your immigration situation, speak to an IAS immigration lawyer. Call us at +44 (0) 333 305 9375 or contact us online.

Read our 899 reviews

Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What are the benefits of choosing IAS’ Advice Package?

    Our Advice Package is the ideal option if you are looking for expert immigration legal advice. With this service, you will have a one-on-one session with one of our immigration lawyers.

    Your immigration lawyer will consider your case and offer bespoke advice, and they will advise you on the optimum route to take to achieve your desired result.

    During your advice session, you will be able to discuss your case and get detailed information about your options to proceed with your case. We will:

    Review your situation and explore your opportunities to get your desired immigration results.

    Advice on the most appropriate documentary evidence required to support your case.

    Discuss the requirements that you need to meet to qualify for your visa.

    Outline the expected time frames to process your application.

    After booking your first consultation, you will have 3 days to ask any follow-up questions free of charge.

    Regardless of what your personal immigration query might be, IAS is here to help and support your. Call us or enquire online to learn more about our Immigration Advice Package.

    Services we Provide

    What is Temporary Residence in Spain?

    Spain’s temporary residence allows foreign nationals from countries outside the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) to reside in Spain for periods longer than 90 days.

    Foreigners who require a temporary residence permit include those migrating to Spain as any of the following:

    • Entrepreneurs who intend to start an economically viable business in Spain
    • Investors making a significant real estate investment in Spain
    • Individuals who have been hired to work for a Spanish employer
    • Scientific researchers
    • Students embarking on a long-term study program
    • Individuals who are joining family members such as spouses, parents, or children residing in Spain
    • Digital nomads and remote workers
    • Retirees intending to live in Spain under the Non-Lucrative Visa

    The Spanish temporary residency permit is valid for a minimum of one year and renewable for up to five years as long as the conditions are met. After living uninterruptedly in Spain for five years, permit holders might be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

    Speak to our immigration team today for professional assistance with acquiring temporary residence in Spain.

    Eligibility Requirements for Spain Temporary Residence Permit

    If you intend to apply for a temporary residence permit in Spain, you must meet the specific requirements for your chosen immigration pathway.

    For instance, if you’re migrating as an entrepreneur, you must demonstrate that your business will positively affect Spain’s socio-economic development. If you’re applying for the Investor Visa, also called the Golden Visa, you must make a minimum real estate investment of €500,000.

    Some of the general requirements to obtain a temporary residence permit include the following:

    • You must have a clean criminal record
    • You must have private health insurance
    • You must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself

    Our lawyers at IAS can provide a detailed breakdown of the requirements you must fulfil for your particular immigration route. Call +44 (0) 333 305 9375 to speak with a lawyer today.

    Spanish flag against cityscape

    Our immigration lawyers have helped many individuals obtain a temporary residence visa for Spain. Let us help you too!

    Documents Required for Spanish Temporary Residency

    Each visa route also differs in the type of documentation you must submit when applying for a temporary residence permit. Here’s a breakdown of the general documentation requirement:

    • The completed visa application form
    • The original copy and a photocopy of your passport or valid travel document, which must be valid for a minimum of four months
    • Three passport-style photographs
    • A work contract or bank statement that proves you can support yourself financially throughout your stay in Spain
    • Proof of your address in Spain, with documents such as a lease or tenancy agreement
    • Certificate of clean criminal record check for the last five years
    • Medical check certificate
    • Proof of private medical insurance
    • Proof of payment for your residence permit
    • Other documentation specific to your residence permit, such as:
      • A marriage certificate
      • A birth certificate
      • Proof of enrollment in a Spanish academic program
      • A work contract
      • Proof of professional qualifications

    Note that your documents should be in Spanish. If they are in other languages, they must be translated and legalised/apostilled by a translation service provider approved by the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.

    How to Get Temporary Residency in Spain

    Two laws regulate Spanish residency permits: the general immigration regime and the Entrepreneur Law. Each law covers different permits, and the application processes are different.

    Generally, applying for a temporary residence permit will begin with a visa application from your home country. However, under Spain’s Entrepreneur Law 14/2013, you can also obtain a permit from within Spain.

    Applying for Residency Under the General Immigration Regime

    The visas that fall under the general immigration regime include the following:

    • Regular work permits
    • Student visa
    • Non-Lucrative Visa
    • Family Reunification
    • Internship Residency
    • Family of an EU citizen
    • Arraigo

    To obtain a residence permit for any of these visas, you must be outside Spain. Begin by visiting the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home or resident country to submit an application.

    Note that if you are applying for a work permit, your Spanish employer must first provide you with an authorisation document from the Provincial Delegation of the Ministry of Labour and Immigration in Spain. Then, you can submit your application at the embassy.

    If your residence visa is approved, you’ll have one month to travel to Spain. Upon arrival, visit the police office or the closest immigration office (oficina de extranjería) to submit your biometrics and obtain your one-year foreign identity card card (tarjeta de identidad de extranjero or TIE).

    Applying For Residency Under the Entrepreneur Law

    The Entrepreneur Law regulates the following visas and permits:

    • Entrepreneur Visa
    • Golden Visa
    • Research Visa
    • Highly Qualified Worker Visa
    • Intra-Corporate Transfer Visa
    • Residence Authorisation to Internship

    You can apply for a permit under the Entrepreneur Law from your home country or within Spain using a tourist or any other visa.

    If you’re applying from Spain, you should submit an application to the “Unidad de Grandes Empresas” (UGE), or Large Business Unit and Strategic Groups, located in Madrid or online through the UGE’s electronic headquarters.

    Once your visa application is approved, schedule an appointment at the police office to obtain a three-year residency card.

    On the other hand, if you’re applying from outside Spain, you can submit your application to the Spanish embassy or consulate. Once your application is approved, you will receive a one-year residency visa.

    Upon arriving in Spain, you can convert your one-year residency visa to a three-year residence permit at the police office.

    Our lawyers have the expertise to speedily navigate you through the temporary residence visa application process.

    Processing Time and Cost for Temporary Residence Permit in Spain

    The permits under the general immigration regime take two to three months to process, while processing time for permits under the Entrepreneur Law is usually processed within 20 days.

    The Spanish temporary residence permit application cost €15.76. Also, if you translate your documents, you must pay for the translation and legalisation service.

    Alternative Residency Options in Spain

    If you are from a non-EEA country, there are four residency options that authorise you to live in Spain, and they include:

    • The short-stay or Schengen visa
    • The temporary residency permit
    • The permanent residency permit
    • Spanish citizenship

    You will need a short-stay or Schengen visa if you intend to visit Spain for less than 90 days. This option allows you to visit friends and family, attend business meetings and conferences, or partake in tourism.

    As discussed earlier, you only need to apply for temporary residence if you plan to stay longer than 90 days.

    People around a table as woman writes on paper

    Temporary Residency to Permanent Residency

    If you’ve resided in Spain temporarily for at least five years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit. To be eligible, you must not have been outside Spain for more than six months within any single year and more than ten months in total during the five years.

    Note that any time spent in Spain under a student residence permit or an internship visa counts as half the time you’ve lived in Spain. For example, if you’ve been studying in the country for four years, it will count as two years.

    To apply for permanent residency, you will need the following documents:

    • A valid passport
    • Your current residency card
    • Proof of clean criminal records
    • Completed application form (EX-11 form)

    Although permanent residency will allow you to live and work in Spain indefinitely, you must renew your residency card every five years.

    We can analyse your situation and documents to determine your probabilities of success.

    Spanish Citizenship

    After ten years of continuously and legally residing in Spain (5 years after permanent residency), you may be eligible for Spanish citizenship by naturalisation.

    The 10-year requirement can be shortened depending on your situation, country of origin, or family ties. For instance, if you are from a Latin American country, you only need to have lived in Spain for two years.

    As a Spanish citizen, you can vote in elections, travel outside Spain without restrictions, and pass your citizenship to your dependents.

    However, Spain does not allow dual citizenship with most countries. As such, you may have to renounce your previous citizenship except you are from the following:

    • Andorra
    • The Philippines
    • Equatorial Guinea
    • Portugal
    • A Latin American country

    How Can IAS Help?

    Our team of lawyers at IAS are experts in Spanish immigration law and have helped thousands of individuals with visa and residence permit applications.

    We can help you analyse your situation to determine the appropriate permit for you. We will also provide a detailed breakdown of the requirements, prepare your documents, and submit a robust application on your behalf.

    To get started with your Spanish residence permit application, contact us at +44 (0) 333 305 9375 or fill out the online contact form.

    We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone.

    Table of Contents

    Table of Contents will appear here.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Yes, you can bring your dependents to join you if you’ve lived for at least one year and renewed your temporary resident permit.

    You can stay in Spain for a maximum of 90 days in every 180 days without becoming a resident. If you spend an extra day, you will become a resident.

    What our clients are saying

    We are the UK’s leading immigration specialists

    OISC Accredited UK Immigration lawyers

    We’ve had over 9000 applications approved

    We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30am to 6pm.

    How our UK Immigration Lawyers can help

    At the Immigration Advice Service our lawyers specialise in a wide range of UK visas, nationality and asylum applications and have represented clients in various successful complex and high-profile cases.

    Get in Touch


    Immigration Advice Service
    Ashwood House, Ellen Street
    Oldham, OL9 6QR

    We have over 12 offices across the world, find a branch near you.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

      In the news

      Get in touch with our team

      Learn about our professional services and find out how we can help.

      Contact Us