Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Spain Intra-Company Transfer Visa

If you want to move to Spain for work and you’re employed by an international company with a base in Spain you may be eligible for an Intra-Company Transfer Visa.

For all the information you need about the Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) Visa, including potential eligibility, the application process, and advice that takes into account your individual situation, contact our legal advisers here at IAS today. Call us on (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the Intra-Company Transfer Visa for Spain?

    If you work for a company that is part of a group of companies with a location in Spain, you might be able to get a transfer to work there. In order to do so, you’ll need to apply for and obtain authorisation for an Intra Company Transfer Visa. That will involve obtaining residence authorisation too.

    These visas are also known as Intra Corporate Transfer Visas, and they can allow your family members to move with you. You have to apply for a permit followed by this specific visa, which will allow you to live and work in Spain for a specific company.

    The purpose of these visas is to allow businesses to move workers to Spain when there’s a specific reason for them to be there. Maybe a company has a non-EU headquarters and another in Spain. In that case, the Intra Company Visa will allow that company to relocate its employees (who must be foreigners without EU residency) for specific projects that demand the skills possessed by those individuals.

    Applicants must be employed by the company they’ll be working for while in Spain already.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo
    Skyline of Madrid

    Who Else Can Qualify for the Residence Permit, Work Permit & Visa Alongside the Primary Applicant?

    A Spouse or Unmarried Partner

    One of the appealing things about the Visa For Intra Company Transfers is that it permits you to bring your spouse or unmarried partner with you when you relocate to Spain.

    They can qualify for a work and residence permit alongside you. With residence authorization secured, they’ll be able to make the move with you.

    Children and Financially Dependent Adult Children

    It is also possible for one or more of your children to come with you when you relocate, including any financially dependent adult children you might have.

    Relatives in the Applicant’s Care

    If you can show that you have other relatives, such as parents or the parents of your partner, who are dependent on your care, you might also be able to bring them with you. This is possible under the eligibility criteria of this type of visa.

    The Eligibility Criteria for Intra-Company Transfer Visa Applicants

    Demonstrate There IS Genuine Business Activity

    Within the framework of this Visa For Intra Company Transfers, you must be moving to Spain to carry out genuine business activity. There should be a real need for your employer to relocate you, and the authorities will expect you to provide proof.

    Proof That the Transfer is Within the Same Business Group

    You also must be able to show that there’s a real and authentic employment relationship between yourself and the company you’re claiming to work for in order to comply with the ICT visa.

    You’re allowed to carry out training while working in the headquarters of companies established in Spain too, or you may solely receive training rather than working for a company.

    In short, you’ll have to work for the same company or group both before and after the move.

    Education Requirements

    In order to qualify for an Intra Company Or Intra Corporate Transfer Visa, the worker must have a university degree (bachelor’s or higher). In some circumstances, relevant professional experience might be able to compensate for a lack of a degree.

    Three Years of Professional Experience

    If you don’t have a degree from a university, you’ll need to be able to show three years of professional experience instead.

    Evidence You’ve Been Working for the Employer for More than Three Months

    As well as the above, you have to have been working for the company or group of companies you’re employed by for more than three months. Without that, you won’t be able to obtain a residence permit for intra company work.

    You may have been working for that group of companies established outside of the country for any length of time in another country, as long as it’s not less than three months.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assist you with your Intra-Company Transfer Visa application. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      The Required Documents For the ICT Visa

      A Completed Application Form

      You’ll be required to fill out a Spanish National Visa application form. This is a form that requires you to fill out all of the basic information relevant to your application, and anyone applying for any type of Spanish Visa must fill one out.

      A Valid Passport and a Recent Passport Photo

      You’ll be required to provide a valid passport from your existing country of residence. If it’s expired or about to expire, it’ll likely be rejected. You’ll also need to provide recent passport photos.

      A Criminal Record Check Certificate

      Anyone looking to secure Spanish residence needs to first go through a criminal record check in the country or countries where they’ve been living for the past five years.

      You must be able to show the certificate you receive when the criminal record check has been completed.

      The Required Documents for Dependents

      Each of the Documents Above

      The documents you need to provide, as listed above, also must be provided by the relatives who you want to bring with you. So ensure each of the documents mentioned above should be submitted.

      Documents Proving a Family Relationship with the Applicant

      It’s also necessary to provide evidence of the relationship between the applicant and the family members coming with them.

      Birth certificates for children and a marriage certificate for a partner will be valid. Other supporting evidence may be accepted too though.

      If Relevant, Documents Showing Financial Dependence

      If you’re looking to bring a family member with you who qualifies on account of them being financially dependent on you, you’ll have to provide documentation that proves that financial dependence.

      Medical Insurance Certificate

      They must be able to provide their own medical insurance to ensure they’re able to receive medical care should they need to when living in Spain. You can arrange this for them if they’re minors.

      What You Should Expect from the Application Process

      Submitting the Required Documents

      First of all, you’ll be required to prepare and submit each of the examples of documentation mentioned above. The Spanish authorities will provide you with confirmation of their receipt once you’ve done so.

      If they find that any documents are missing or they want more supporting evidence or documentation, they’ll contact you to ask for that.

      The Decision Period

      There’ll be a period of time in which the Spanish authorities assess your application and decide whether or not you meet the criteria outlined.

      How long this takes will depend on whether they need more documents from you or require you to come in for an interview with them.

      Refusals and Appeals

      It’s possible that they might refuse your application for residence under the intra-company transfer ICT EU.

      In the case of a refusal, you’ll have an opportunity to lodge an appeal if you feel it was incorrect or unfair. You have one month from the date of the refusal to do that.

      Senior staff member

      Find out how we can assist with your Intra-Company Transfer Visa application. Learn More

        Fill out the form

        How Can IAS Help?

        Many people want to move to Spain for work reasons each year. Most of those applications for intra-company transfer visas are successful, but not all.

        Applications can fail and be refused if the relevant evidence is not provided or if the Spanish authorities don’t believe there’s a genuine business reason for the Intra-Company Transfer to take place.

        You must be able to prove to the Spanish authorities that the transfer is important for the company and that the business activity involved is genuine and real.

        As difficult as this may sound, you don’t have to go it alone. IAS can assist you throughout these processes and ensure you approach the application in the right way.

        We are professional, experienced, and understanding immigration advisers, and we have vast experience working with applicants looking to secure a Spanish intra-company transfer visa.

        For more information about the services we offer, how we can help you with securing an Intra-Company Transfer Visa, and how to make the application, reach out to us at (+44) 333 4149244, or contact us online.

        Call us for further assistance with your Intra-Company Transfer Visa immigration matter. Contact us

          Fill out the form

          Advice Package icon

          Advice Package

          Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

          Application Package icon

          Application Package

          We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

          Fast Track Package icon

          Fast Track Package

          Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

          Appeal Package icon

          Appeal Package

          Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

          Advice Package image

          The Advice Package

          With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Advice Package
            Application Package image

            The Application Package

            Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Application Package
              Fast Track Package image

              The Fast Track Package

              Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Fast Track Package
                Appeal Package image

                The Appeal Package

                Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                  Fill out the form

                  Request the Appeal Package

                  We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                    Request a call back from our immigration experts

                    Related pages for your continued reading.

                    Frequently Asked Questions

                    The maximum duration of the transfer that comes with this visa will be two years before renewal is necessary. Although this can be less if the reason for the transfer doesn’t require you to be based in Spain for that long.

                    If you’re required to be located in Spain for longer than two years, you can apply for the visa to be renewed.

                    Even then, for managers and specialists, you can stay in the country for a maximum duration of three years, and one year for those who are in training.

                    Your permit application for residency should be either approved or refused within twenty working days. The visa can then be applied for and there should be a decision within 10 working days. Although this may be longer in some instances.

                    The visa costs the equivalent of €60, but this can vary depending on the country from which the application is being submitted. The charge will be higher for some countries.

                    The permit for Spanish residency, which you need to obtain before applying for the visa, costs another €73.26.

                    These costs will not be refunded in the event of your application being refused.