Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Spain Visa for Missing Residence Permit

If you have lost your residence permit for your Spanish visa and need to re-enter the country, you will need to get a Spanish Re-Entry Visa. You will be able to continue your residence in Spain, but you need to know the steps involved in getting a Spanish visa for a missing resident card. This guide talks you through the requirements, the cost, and what you need to do.

At IAS, we offer services to help you with your visa needs – from helping you with the visa application process to advising you when you lose your resident card. Call us today at (+44) 333 4149244 to get advice from our immigration lawyers or use our contact form online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of the Spain Re-Entry Visa

    Your resident card is integral to establishing your legal residence in Spain. Should you lose it, you will need to get another by completing an application for the Spanish visa for missing resident cards.

    If you’re living in Spain, and have lost your resident card, read on for information regarding how you can apply for a Re-Entry Visa, the processing times, and what you need to prepare for your application.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    What Is the Spain Visa for Missing Resident Card?

    The Spanish visa for missing resident cards helps those who lose their resident cards while outside Spain. It covers those who lose their cards for the following reasons:

    • The card was stolen.
    • The card was lost.
    • The card expired during their trip.

    Losing your resident card outside of Spain could inhibit your re-entry to the country. The Re-Entry Visa acts as a placeholder visa, allowing you to re-enter Spain while you wait for your new resident card.

    The Re-Entry Visa is not suited to those who lose their visa in Spain, who may need to leave and re-enter the country while they wait for a new resident card. If this is the case, you should opt for the authorization to leave and return to Spain or the “Autorización de Regreso”.

    Spain architecture

    What Should You Do If You Lose Your Resident Card?

    If you lose your resident card outside of Spain, you must apply for a Re-Entry Visa to get back into the country. Once you’re back in Spain, you can apply for a visa renewal or replacement resident card.

    To get a Re-Entry Visa, you will need to prepare the following documents:

    • A completed Schengen Visa application form, including your email address and mobile number. You should provide both a copy and an original.
    • A passport– must be valid for at least 4 months. You must provide a copy of the passport’s biometric data pages, and the passport should not have fewer than 2 blank pages.
    • Two passport-sized photographs (34mm x 45mm) with a clear view of your face in front of a plain white background.
    • A medical certificate -You must provide a medical examination certificate legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You should provide a translated copy of this document.
    • A police clearance certificate that has been legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
    • A police report regarding the stolen or lost visa.
    • A copy of your resident card.
    • A copy of your passport’s departure and arrival seal pages from your trip outside Spain.
    • Your departing flight information evidences your departure from Spain.
    • Your planned flight information evidences your planned re-entry into Spain.
    • Evidence of your travel insurance coverage.
    • Any supporting documents proving your residency in Spain.

    To submit your application for the Spanish Re-Entry Visa, you must contact the Spanish embassy in the country you are visiting. They will provide the details necessary to access the Re-Entry Visa application documents and book an appointment to deliver your application.

    How Much Will the Spain Visa for Missing Resident Card Cost?

    The missing resident card visa will vary in cost depending on whether you are an adult or a child. Below, you will find all of the information you need regarding the Re-Entry Visa cost:

    • Adult Re-Entry Visa fee – £66
    • Child (6-12) Re-Entry Visa fee – £33
    • Child (0-6) Re-Entry Visa fee – FREE

    There are some additional costs to consider when applying for a missing resident card visa, including:

    • Visa collection fee – £1.90
    • Passport photographs
    • Photocopying charges
    • Courier charges
    • Filing fees- £5.70

    What Is the Processing Time For the Spain Visa for Missing Resident Card?

    The processing time for the Spain visa for missing resident cards will differ depending on the country you are applying to. Some consulates and embassies take longer to process visa applications than others.

    However, you can generally expect the Spanish embassy or consulate to process your visa application in around 15 calendar days from the date you submitted the request.

    You will receive either an approval or a denial of the application. If your application is approved, you can collect your visa from the Spanish consulate or embassy and plan your re-entry into Spain.

    In some cases, the consulate may request further information. In these cases, your visa application may take longer to process.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assist you with your Spanish Re-Entry Visa application. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      Can You Enter Spain Without Your Residence Permit?

      You may be able to enter Spain as a tourist without a residence card, but you will need to meet the requirements to be eligible.

      Here are the requirements you must meet to enter Spain without a visa:

      • You must be from a country within the Schengen area.
      • You must have a valid passport with biometric data pages. The passport must be valid for at least 3 months.
      • You must confirm your accommodation. To do this, you can provide details of your reservation, booking, or rental agreement. Or, if you are planning to stay in Spain at your friend’s or family member’s home, you must provide a letter of invitation, written and signed by the person you’re staying with.
      • You must provide evidence of your travel health insurance. The insurance should cover emergency care and possible health issues you could encounter during your stay in Spain.
      • You should provide evidence of your finances, showing that you have at least €95 per day of your visit to Spain. You can do this with cash or show your credit or debit card balance.
      • You may be subject to an interrogation, where the Spanish immigration authorities will question you about the nature of your visit. If they cannot determine the cause of your visit or find your circumstances suspicious, they may decline entry.
      • You must complete the European Travel and Information Authorization System (ETIAS) form. You can fill in this form online using your email address and passport information. The ETIAS form provides a series of questions that you must answer regarding your stay in Spain.

      If you do not meet these requirements, you will need to acquire a visa to enter Spain – you should learn about the Spain Schengen Tourist Visa.

      Cathedral in Spain

      How Can IAS Help?

      If you lose your residence card, it could be a stressful experience. To know your options and what to do to re-enter Spain, you can reach out to our team of experienced immigration lawyers here at IAS.

      Our team can advise you on the process and help you to prepare your evidence and application for the Spanish visa for missing residence cards. We can also provide a written letter of referral accompanying your application, increasing the likelihood of success.

      We are familiar with the Spanish immigration process and can assist in your application for a new residence card to ensure your stay in Spain is legal.

      Contact our friendly team online today or at (+44) 333 4149244 to receive advice on the Re-Entry Visa application process.

      Find out how we can assist with your Spanish Re-Entry Visa application. Learn More

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  If you lose your residence card, you need to have a duplicate of your NIE number to apply for a new one. To get a copy of your NIE number, you must report your residence card stolen to the police or request a duplicate with your nearest immigration office. Once you have a duplicate of your NIE number, you can apply for a new residence card.

                  A Schengen Visa is a short-stay visa that allows tourists to stay in countries within the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days per visit. The Schengen area contains over 27 countries, and the Schengen Visa is valid for 180 days.

                  If your family member, who has traveled to Spain with you as an extension of your visa, loses their residency card, they will need to take the same steps as you to get a new one and a Re-Entry Visa. If your family member is in Spain when they lose their card, they will need Autorización de Regreso to leave the country and return without their residence card.