Immigration Advice Service
03334149244 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6 pm

Find an office

20 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 7000 applications approved
We are now open 7 days a week from 8.30 am to 6 pm.
4.7 rating 2649 reviews

Tourist Visa for Spain

The Tourist visa for Spain allows you to visit Spain for tourism, vacation and sightseeing purposes. It also permits you to visit family and friends residing in Spain.

For more information about the Tourist visa for Spain, including what you need to do to be eligible for it, how to apply, and expert advice for your application, reach out to us today on (+44) 333 4149244 or contact us online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Overview of the Tourist Visa for Spain

    When you apply for the tourist visa for Spain, you actually get the Schengen visa which will allow you to spend a maximum of 90 days in Spain. Furthermore, since Spain is part of the 27 countries in the Schengen area, the visa permits you to visit Spain and other Schengen countries.

    The tourist visa, also known as the category C short-stay visa, is purely for tourism and sightseeing purposes and does not permit the holder to work.

    Before you apply for this visa, it is necessary to confirm if you need the Schengen visa to enter Spain or the Schengen area. This is because some nationals are exempt from applying for the tourist visa.

    To get the visa, you must prove to the consulate that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Spain. You must also convince the consulate that you will leave Spain when your permit expires.

    Note that if you intend to spend more nights in another country in the Schengen area other than Spain, you must apply at that country’s embassy. However, if you will be spending equal time in all the countries you intend to visit, then it is essential that you make your application to the consulate of the country through which you’d be entering the Schengen territory.

    Your visa permits you to stay for a maximum of 90 days out of 180, and should you want to renew, you’d have to spend the next 90 days in a non-EU country.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 2649 reviews Logo

    Who Can Apply for a Tourist Visa for Spain?

    If you are from a non-European country, you will need a Schengen visa to visit Spain.

    There are exceptions, though. For example, the citizens of Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and the US can visit Spain if they intend to stay for less than 90 days. This is because the European Union agreed with these countries to grant their citizens visa-free entry into the EU.

    However, this visa-free entry only applies to the citizens of these countries and not the residents.

    It is necessary to note that from November 2023, the citizens of these countries who enjoy visa-free entry into the Schengen area would need the ETIAS visa waiver to enter the Schengen area for tourism, business or transit.

    The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) visa waiver process can be completed online.

    Spain skyline

    What Are the Requirements?


    To get the tourist visa for Spain, you will need to provide documents that will identify you and prove you are going to Spain for legitimate purposes. You will also need to show that you are financially capable of taking care of yourself (and your dependents) while in Spain.

    Financial Requirements

    As part of the tourist visa requirements, you must show that you have enough money to financially support yourself (and any dependent) during your stay in the Schengen zone.

    If you are staying for 10 days or less, you will need to show you have 90% of the minimum wage for 10 days which is €900. If you are staying for more than 10 days in Spain, then you have to prove you have €70.77 daily.

    You typically prove this by submitting any of the following:

    • A six-month bank statement.
    • A credit card statement.
    • A letter of sponsorship if someone else will bear the cost of your trip. This letter should come with the person’s bank statement.

    Additional Visa Requirements

    You will need to also prove to the consulate that you will leave Spain after the duration of your stay. This is done by submitting proof of your employment situation.

    If you are employed, you need to provide the following:

    • Your employment letter.
    • Your bank statement for the last 6 months.
    • Certificate of Income Tax showing that your tax is being deducted.
    • No-objection letter from your employer showing they approved your time off work and also showing that you have an obligation to return to your duty post.

    If you are self-employed, you will need to show the following:

    • Your company’s bank statement in the last 6 months.
    • Your business licence.
    • Income Tax Return.

    If you are a student, you will need to show the following:

    • Your admission letter.
    • No-objection or leave approval letter from your school.

    If you are retired:

    • Pension statement from the bank in the last 6 months.

    Our expert immigration lawyers can assist you with your Tourist Visa application. Contact Us

      Fill out the form

      Required Documents

      Here are the documents you’ll need to provide. Note that the consulate reserves the right to request additional documents to support your application:

      • A completed and duly signed visa application form. This form can be found online.
      • A passport. Your passport should have at least 2 empty pages, be less than 10 years, and be valid for at least 3 months after you leave the Schengen territory.
      • Two photographs taken within the last 3 months following the Schengen photograph specification. This should be attached to your visa application form.
      • Copies of your passport pages. You must make copies of the biodata pages of your passport and the pages with visa stamps.
      • Proof of flight reservation. This should have your name and the dates you intend to arrive and leave Spain.
      • Proof of residence in the country you are applying from. This could be your student ID, National ID, driver’s licence or voter card. Note that they should contain your current address.
      • A travel medical insurance certificate. This should cover medical costs of up to €30,000 and must be valid in all Schengen countries for the duration of your stay. Your medical insurance covers your medical bill in an instance of a health emergency.
      • Proof of accommodation to show where you will be spending the night throughout your stay. The following can serve as proof of accommodation:
        • Proof of hotel reservations for all the nights of your stay. The reservation should have the name, address and contact of the hotel.
        • If you are visiting a friend or family, they will have to send you a letter of invitation which you will present to the consulate. You will have to show both the original and the copy.
      • If you are travelling with your child, who is a minor and your spouse isn’t going with you, you will have to provide a notarised authorization letter showing your partner’s consent to travel with the child. You’ll need to provide this, too, if the child is not yours.
      • Birth/adoption certificate of the minor.
      • A cover letter that explains why you are travelling to Spain and how long you intend to stay.
      • Evidence of visa fee payment.

      How Do I Apply?

      To apply for the tourist visa for Spain, do the following:

      Download and Fill out The Application Form

      Go to the website of the Spanish embassy in the country where you reside and download the visa application form. Ensure the details you fill in are correct and up-to-date. Also, make sure you sign at the end of the form.

      To avoid your application being rejected, the details in the application form should tally with the details of the documents you will submit to the embassy. For example, your age and name on the application form should be the same on your ID and passport. It is not unheard of that discrepancies in personal details cause visa denial.

      Schedule An Interview

      When your form and documents are ready, go to the Spanish embassy website and schedule an interview. Scheduling could be done via phone call or the website.

      Attend Your Interview

      Take your documents with you to the embassy. There, you will meet with a consular officer who will ask you some questions regarding the purpose of your application. The officer will also be the one to review your documents.

      If you are applying for a Schengen visa for the first time in 5 years, your biometrics will be captured.

      Buildings by cliff

      Where Should I Submit My Application?

      It is vital to note that you should only submit your application to the Spanish embassy if:

      • You will only stay in Spain.
      • You will tour other countries in the Schengen area but will spend the most time in Spain.
      • You will spend an equal amount of time in several countries in the Schengen territory but will enter through Spain.

      Once you meet any of the conditions above, proceed to the Spanish consulate in your country to submit your application. In some countries, Spain outsources their visa application to a third party. Therefore, you should visit the third-party application centre to submit your application.

      If your country does not have a Spanish consulate or a third party responsible for managing their visa applications, you will have to visit the consulate in the nearest neighbouring country.

      What Are The Fees And Processing Times?


      A tourist visa for Spain costs €80 if the visitor is above 12 years of age. For children within the age bracket of 6 to 12, the fee is €40. The visa is free for children younger than 6 years.

      Processing Times

      On average, the Spanish embassy and all other Schengen embassies process short-term visas within 15 working days. But it can take longer if the consulate is dealing with a surge of applications. When this happens, it might take 30 to 60 days to get a decision on your application.

      Note that you cannot make your application more than 180 days or less than 21 before departure. It is wise to complete your application early, within the 180 days window.

      Find out how we can assist with your Tourist Visa application. Learn More

        Fill out the form

        How Can IAS Help?

        Applying for a tourist visa for Spain can be quite a task due to the many documents that must be submitted. It can get overwhelming handling all the tedious processes required, especially if you are a busy business or career person.

        If you need assistance with your Spanish tourist visa application, such as if you are not too sure of the requirements and application method, IAS can help.

        At IAS, we understand the need to take some time off work and business to see the world and connect with friends and family across the globe. So, we are dedicated to maximising your chances of doing this.

        Our team of formidable immigration advisers can guide you every step of the way during your application for a Tourist visa for Spain. What we can do include:

        • Liaising with you via phone, skype or even in person at your convenient time;
        • Helping you check your documents to ensure they are good enough for your visa application;
        • Ensuring you meet the financial requirements for the tourist visa for Spain;
        • Accessing your eligibility;
        • Completing each segment of your application form to the best standard;
        • Offer support if your visa application has been rejected, we can be there to guide you through the process.

        For more information about our services and what we could do for you, reach out to one of our immigration advisers on (+44) 333 4149244 or contact us online today.

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Need help with an immigration issue? Book a one-to-one advice session with one of our legal caseworkers.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        We can complete your visa application on your behalf, taking the stress and hassle out of the process.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Need to submit an application quickly? We can help you complete and send it off in as little as 24 hours.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal with our legal support and guidance.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        With our Advice Package, you can book a one-to-one session with one of our legal team and receive bespoke advice tailored for your situation. We will review your case and give you expert advice on how best to proceed with your immigration matter. Reach out to a member of our team and book your session today.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          Our Application Package is designed to help relieve the stress of immigration applications. One of our legal caseworkers will help you throughout the entire process, including establishing your eligibility for your chosen route, completing your application form to the highest standards and organising your documents. We will then submit it and monitor its status on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our premium Fast Track Package is ideal if you need to submit an application quickly, such as if you need to meet a tight deadline. Our lawyers will work closely with you to see that your application is completed to the highest standards and ensure you get your application in on time, helping to take the stress and pressure off you.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              Visa appeals can be a stressful process, especially if you’re relying on a specific visa to be approved. Our legal team can help you navigate the whole process and maximise your chances of a successful appeal, working alongside you to reach a favourable result. We can also represent you in immigration-related hearings and tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package

                We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                  Request a call back from our immigration experts

                  Related pages for your continued reading.

                  Frequently Asked Questions

                  You can extend your tourist visa while in Spain, but this has to be under strict circumstances. These circumstances are:

                  • You have a single-entry tourist visa and came into the Schengen region days after the validity of your visa started counting.
                  • Your country is at war, or a pandemic has broken out, making it unsafe for you to return.
                  • You are receiving medical treatment or avoiding going back to poverty.

                  You will have to remain in Spain when you apply for an extension. If your application is rejected, you must leave Spain in two days.

                  The tourist visa application can be rejected for many reasons. Some common causes are insufficient funds to finance your travel and stay in Spain, incomplete documents and inconsistent or incorrect information.

                  Usually, if your application is rejected, you will also be notified why. Then, you can either appeal the decision or correct what was wrong and reapply again.

                  Your visa can be cancelled if the consulate determines that you no longer meet the requirements for which they gave you a permit in the first place.

                  The visa can be revoked before or after you have left for Spain. If you are in Spain when this happens, you will be issued an ultimatum to leave Spain within a time frame, after which your stay will be considered illegal.